Joe Wildsmith

Bob Gnarly

Thought he was lucky to go cardless after that early bodge chasing a lost ball that was only ever curling and swerving further away from goal. 

Should have stopped early and returned empty handed, or at the very least changed the plan late, and punted it out for a throw.
I feared a red card if I'm honest.  He was well outside the box, slippy conditions or not!  

Phew!  

... And I've seen a few comments re their second goal, and how he should have saved it.  Personally, I thought he was unlucky, as he got half a hand to it.  

If keepers saved everything, there'd be no game to watch!  

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

For every one of those top saves there are goals like tonight where he really should have stopped that long range shot.

Im coming to the conclusion I won’t be upset if he goes but should we go up, I’d also feel he owes us a little bit as well.

An xGOT of something like 0.61 would suggest those shots typically go in if on target...

8 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I still can't understand how he wasn't sent off for handling out the box ? or at least given a yellow! Not that im complaining. Anyone know the rule ? 

handling outside the area isn't an automatic red. it comes under the denial of goalscoring opportunity part of the laws. ref likely deemed it wasn't, so therefore a yellow.

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

handling outside the area isn't an automatic red. it comes under the denial of goalscoring opportunity part of the laws. ref likely deemed it wasn't, so therefore a yellow.

It wasn't even a yellow, though. So was very lucky.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It wasn't even a yellow, though. So was very lucky.

All i can think of was that the ref was allowing due to the weather conditions but thats still very lenient. JW has some real issues with controlling his 18 yard box. Always seems to be down the left side too. 

37 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I still can't understand how he wasn't sent off for handling out the box ? or at least given a yellow! Not that im complaining. Anyone know the rule ? 

Should have been a yellow, but ref gave him some leeway due to the conditions. He gave a bit of leeway to both sides for a number fouls which would have been yellows on another day.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Should have been a yellow, but ref gave him some leeway due to the conditions. He gave a bit of leeway to both sides for a number fouls which would have been yellows on another day.

It made for a great game to be honest. Neutrals would have enjoyed it. There was too much riding on it for me to enjoy it though 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not sure 'should' is fair. The rules seem conditional on which phase of play contact first happens in. Because Wildsmith's first handled inside the area (a legal claim), that stops the 'promising attack'. Meaning his subsequent handling outside the area is a different phase which avoids the need for a card to be shown.

I think the ref handled it perfectly given it wasn't malicious and no real advantage was gained from our perspective.

image.thumb.png.ad53f66449748dd58749cfd0bcd16752.png

image.png.da29e43e2d0c54935cf4b768d9812d5f.png

11 hours ago, jimbobram said:

All i can think of was that the ref was allowing due to the weather conditions but thats still very lenient. JW has some real issues with controlling his 18 yard box. Always seems to be down the left side too. 

It’s like opposition managers have seen something and target that area of the pitch!

On 03/04/2024 at 09:23, Ghost of Clough said:

An xGOT of something like 0.61 would suggest those shots typically go in if on target...

They tend to go in when your GK dives upwards and not sideways 🤣

Wildsmith is 4th best goalie for the total number of clean sheets, 3rd for cleansheet % (amongst 1st choice 'keepers), and we have conceded the 3rd-fewest goals overall.

The goalie's first job is to stop goals going in, and he is one of the best in the league at doing that.

He will occasionally let in 30 yard screamers, yes.

I don't really get the criticism of Joe, though in fairness, I think most Rams supporters rate him highly. You take away some of the worldies he's pulled off this season and there's no way we sit 2nd. Hopefully he's just wanting to see whether we go up as I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat. If he chooses to go elsewhere, so be it, but I don't see he owes us anything to be honest. It's sometimes hard to take when players move on, but this is their job not necessarily their passion and one club careers are as rare rocking horse poo anyway.

Great shot-stopper and generally looks comfortable coming for crosses. Is that enough though? We’ve seen questionable composure and decision-making a few times this season. And in a team where PW wants fast, athletic football I wonder if Joe’s often pedestrian and wayward distribution matches that intent? I accept there’s times to run the clock down, but there have also been multiple occasions where an opportunity to get us on the attack quickly have been spurned.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Josh to state with confidence that he’s superior to Joe, and he does seem to favour coming to punch rather than catch crosses. It would make sense that PW signed him though, if reports of Joe refusing to sign a contract in summer are to be believed? On his limited appearances I have noticed Josh is perhaps more willing to risk a quick kick up top, perhaps where Wash’s ability to run in behind is expected to bear fruit?

Wildsmith has been a solid performer for us, absolutely. I don't think he really gets too much criticism from supporters either. He's had some blunders this year, but every goalkeeper at this level will do that. It's why they're in League One.

Wildsmith spent 9 seasons in the Sheff Wed team without ever pinning down the starting job and he's made more appearances in two years with us than he ever did with Sheff Wed - and that's with him losing his place in the team to Vickers along the way. 

Ultimately, though, as I said: I can see Warne looking at the goalkeeping position as an area he would want to improve on in the summer. I genuinely think Vickers was brought in to challenge Wildsmith rather than back him up, and I half suspect they anticipated on him winning the job. If not for terrible off-field events and injury then perhaps he may have even done so. 

Even so, whether we've offered him a contract or not, I don't believe Warne see's him as a lock for his position for the foreseeable future. I would think any contract would run roughly in-line, albeit with a small increase, on his current deal and I think he believes there is better out there - Christian Walton who is out of contract at the end of the year from Ipswich as one I'd keep my eye on. 

Rotherham, under Paul Warne, always had an eye for a goalkeeper. When he took over as manager the two keepers on Rotherham's books were two that we know well - Lee Camp & Lewis Price. As well as Richard O'Donnell. 

He then signed Marek Rodak on loan, who we know is a good keeper, in his first full season at Rotherham. He then went on to sign Daniel Iverson, again a very good goalkeeper, before landing on Josh Vickers & Viktor Johansson - with the latter being renowned as one of the best in his position in the League. I think he's even earned a full Sweden international cap recently too. 

I just wonder if he's been around those players, more so his goalkeeping coach who he very much trusts, and thinks we can do better? 

Some of the keepers out of contract that we might be able to attract if in the Championship show that Joe leaving wouldn't necessarily mean the end of the world.

Marek Rodak
Wes Foderingham
Christian Walton
Liam Kelly

I'd also be tempted to have a punt at Karl Hein, but that's because I have a soft spot for Estonian goalkeepers.