Moving to the midlands...

So after 15 years in Los Angeles, it looks like my wife and I are making our way back to England. There's a good chance I'll be working in Leamington Spa, but I know very little about the area, how close we should live or how easy it will be to get to pride park. 

Anyone have any thoughts? Might end up applying to go on Escape to the Country. 

We want some old quiet fairly remote house that is still close enough to a supermarket and basic amenities 

Edited by wixman1884

I used to be an area manager for Warwickshire so I know the area reasonably well.

A lot will depend on your budget. In my experience, Leamington Spa is a bit more up market than Rugby (no offence @AndyinLiverpool 😀) and so is probably more expensive. Obviously, the issue diminishes the further away from the towns you live.

Another option is perhaps North of LS (Kenilworth sort of area). The upside is you wouldn’t have to navigate the M6 but the payback is you’d face the M42 near Birmingham airport and the NEC. Getting to Derby would probably be quicker and easier from the Rugby area depending on how far north you chose if you went for the LS option. Other considerations might be: The Rugby area is better for rail links to London and the North West but the LS area would probably be better for Birmingham, Birmingham airport and driving to the West Country. 

Regarding supermarkets and local amenities, whilst a lot of the area is quite rural, I don’t think any of it is remote enough for you to need to worry. 

Warwickshire is a bit of a split north to south. North of Leam you have some nice villages (Offchurch, Dunchurch, Ufton, Avon Dassett and others near Southam) that will be a bit cheaper. Get south of the M40 and you get closer to the Cotswolds with prices moving up accordingly. We are between Stratford and Banbury and have access to Shipston, Leamington and Warwickand still only about a 20 min drive from Leamington.

We relocated back from California (East Bay)a while back and know where you're at. If I had one piece of advice for you I would say 'put a pin in the centre of where you would like to live and then rent there for a year'. Most estate agents over here now are only interest in cash buyers so renting gives you that freedom.

I am sure @leamram will give you much more info on Leamington itself - noce town but I personally would live outside, just your choice on exactly where.

Leamingtons a great place to live, i moved from Belper in 1994 and love it.

Bit pricey house wise but there are some lovely little villages just outside Leamington too, loads of new builds around Whitnash and Bishops Tachbrook

Its about an hour and a half drive to PP, I usually get the train which is about an hour (I don't go often, i go to watch Leamington more)

2 hours ago, leamram said:

Its about an hour and a half drive to PP, I usually get the train which is about an hour (I don't go often, i go to watch Leamington more)

Direct train gets you in about 2pm, on the way back (change at Brum) you have to either leave five mins early to get one at about 4:50pm or you hold back to do the bounce and get the one at about 5:50pm. But there ain't too many after (iirc) about 7pm so post match drinking isn't really an option.

Edited by BaaLocks

16 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

So after 15 years in Los Angeles, it looks like my wife and I are making our way back to England. There's a good chance I'll be working in Leamington Spa, but I know very little about the area, how close we should live or how easy it will be to get to pride park. 

Anyone have any thoughts? Might end up applying to go on Escape to the Country. 

We want some old quiet fairly remote house that is still close enough to a supermarket and basic amenities 

Are you mad? 

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Are you mad? 

I think we're just ready for a bit of a change. I honestly love it here so much, but the weather is getting brutal, film industry here is collapsing and our dogs can't even go outside without fear of being eaten by coyotes.

i love the idea of a little barn conversion in the countryside

8 hours ago, BatRam said:

get ya sen to matlock or somewhere nice if youve got the money 

just did a google maps of matlock to leamington spa - maybe a bit too far for a daily commute.

that said, my neighbor drives for longer than that to get from east to west LA every day

30 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

oh wow thanks for all the info guys - gonna show my wife and discuss. excited to get pissed with you all one day. i've been posting on some incarnation of this forum for well over 15 years now

For clarity, is that the UK pissed, or the US pissed?

There's quite a lot of the latter on here, so you'll not be alone!  🤣

Edited by Mucker1884

27 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

the weather is getting brutal, film industry here is collapsing and our dogs can't even go outside without fear of being eaten by coyotes.

English version:

"the flooding is getting brutal, all industry here is collapsing and we can't even go outside without fear of being eaten by XL Bullies."

4 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Hahaha these replies made me chuckle.

I'm expecting to get absolutely rinsed about my accent and americanisms for the next few years 

My mate is a Derby fan and runs a really nice pub in Leam, I'll happily meet you for a drink....i may call you Lasso for a while though 🙂

3 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Hahaha these replies made me chuckle.

I'm expecting to get absolutely rinsed about my accent and americanisms for the next few years 

A lot of Americanism are old English words that persisted in the US as the Puritans wanted things to stay the same. In the UK, we were less precious over this and the language changed more. Trash, for example, was in a Shakespeare play.

Read Melvyn's Bragg's Adventures of English Language for more!

Like when kids say "Aks" instead of "Ask", they are picking it up from America, where it came from slave traders from the West Country.