Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

The players were poor, some of them had stage fright? NML has been run into the ground by the looks of it.

Two great chances missed in the first half, that would’ve obviously changed the game.

Warne: Again found out tactically, waited until the 60th minute to change it after we could’ve been 2-0 down.

Thompson playing as a 10 when CBT is on the bench?

Its time to stop playing Sibley with Elder fit, he’s not good enough.

Hourihane is a difficult one, he has the experience and is generally good at set pieces but his legs have gone and I don’t think he’s suited to away games. 

Blackpool and Pompey will show us what Warne is made of, injuries or not there’s still some quality at his disposal. 

2 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

NML has a hamstring injury. barks is out for 3 weeks. Can Warne either adapt his system or use a different one to keep us in the hunt?

Wildsmith

Smith        Nelson        Cashin          Elder

Adams      Thompson

Ward               Wilson              CBT     

Collins      

Assuming NML, Gayle, Fozzy, Barkz etc are out and Collins is fit enough to start. I think Wilson could offer something from a central position with his direct dribbling. If not him then Sibley with Wilson/Ward vying for the position out wide.

Let’s be honest- it’s been a disaster of a day. Made even worse by NML hamstring injury.

How many calf injuries have we had this season !? Foz plays a blinder and now his season finished with another calf injury.

Looking at what’s left of the squad (and who is actually fit) one can’t but help thinking that we will now drop off into the playoffs. 😳 

58 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He does set the team out and give them instructions - we did have a lot of reserves playing but so did Northampton 

Why do we always need to change shape because it isn’t working no matter who is selected - the Northampton players wanted to win more with in my opinion poorer players available 

I just see it as a shared responsibility. I don’t see how the players get a free pass on the assumptions that “they were only following orders”.

Absolutely gutted. Performance terrible, lacked all penatrasion and the injuries keep piling up.

I had a gut feel that without Barks we would struggle as he offers a cutting edge against mid table teams. 

Losing NML is the very worst news. Let's just offer positive vibes its an impact and not a pull.

Injury wise, for me, it's down to aging players but bloody hell we can't take much more of this.

I fully expect next week a 4-3-3 with CBT, Washington and Waggy up front to start with Collo on the bench.

Means we will have to run 2 makeshift fullbacks which is a concern. Feel for for Ebu as he has been immense but he should have buried that chance and his confidence drained away.

Still in our hands but only by a slither

Edited by Ram a lamb a ding dong

55 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Yes it is. I know we have got injuries, but there again, don't all of Warne's sides? The reality is that from kick off all he got us doing was hoofing the ball long. If we put 2 or 3 passes together, it was to generate enough room for the player getting that 3rd pass to boot it long from deep within his own half. Every time. Every time. Every single time.

How strange - after the fans gave Warne a right bollocking form that run of matches ending with Stevenage and Crewe he got us playing what almost looked like football, and guess what? We went on a good run. Today, when we could, and should have won emphatically, he reverted to hoofball. Absolutely diabolical. Yes, the ref was poor, really poor, and cost us the goal. Actually, no he didn't, but Northampton should have been defending a free-kick instead of scoring the winner. But our defending was shocking for the goal. But for virtually the entire match we were worse than the ref, and with EFL League One refs, that takes one hell of a lot of doing.

No it isn’t. Assess it at pretty much whatever percentage you want but it wasn’t 100% Warne’s fault and 0% the players.

It seems you agree “our defending was shocking for the goal”. What that Warne’s fault?

I’m not sure why you’re bringing the ref into the debate. I don’t think it was his fault and never said it was.

Agree with PW on Radio Derby to some extent…..didn’t play well but missed sitters cost us.

Clear foul in build up to their goal but Bradley should have put the ball and the player into the stand to stop the cross.

There’s been loads of talk about back 3 vs back 4 vs back 5 but the thing PW keeps getting wrong in my opinion is playing 2 in midfield.

Hourihane isn’t a good enough athlete to play there in a 2, Adam’s….despite all the plaudits…isn’t a good enough footballer to play in a 2.

Put in a third player and hey presto, they both become very good players at this level.

I don’t always agree with Eric Steele but I’ve no idea why you’d play Thompson anywhere else other than in midfield - really odd set up today.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Most entertainment there's been is waiting to see if anyone I know uses away end Ladies toilet

Did you spot me? It's my last resort if nothing else is working as Derby usually score! Even that didn't work this week. 

Edited by angieram

57 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It's all hindsight though, isn't it. Without injuries, we'd have enough in my opinion. We have Collins, Gayle, TJJ, Washington and Waghorn. It's just typical that we haven't had more than 2 fit at once nearly all season.

But when we bought CBT many of those injuries and doubts were known already and Gayle had not even been considered…..