What are your Top 10 favourite all time series (not comedy)

I was chatting with Mrs Badger when we took out the hounds yesterday morning and we agreed on the following with the only rules being there must be at least 2 seasons and no comedy. They are not in any order.

Gomorrah - A total classic that hooks you in the first episode, which is no mean feat in these days of slow burners. 

The Wire - My niece's favourite of all time, and it had everything.

24 - I think this would be laughingly dated now, and there would be too many plot holes for me to stomach, but at the time, it was cutting edge. Wasn't it?

The Sweeney - I mean, come on, who didn't love this back in the day?

The Sopranos - only watched this last year and ducking loved it.

Love/Hate - a better, more gritty version of Kin

Breaking Bad - the OG os binge-worthy series, maybe?

Top Boy - If I was ordering them, this may have been number one for me depending on my mood.

Narcos - Season one and two were as good TV as anything I've ever seen, but it had dropped off by the end.

Spiral - French cop drama that Mrs Badger would possibly have fighting with Top Boy for her number one place.

Honourable mentions for House Of Cards, but the last season was just too horrible to stomach and Manhunter, which is kicked out by The Sweeney for sentimental reasons. Better Call Saul and the Israeli dram, Fauda were also considered and close to making it.

As a point of note, we have never watched Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead. We couldn't get into the former and never tried the latter.

We also only watched the first 3 seasons of The West Wing when Channel 4 added adverts, so that would be considered, I think, if we'd finished it.

Edited by Bob The Badger

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Interesting topic.

No particular order...

• The Prisoner
  • The Twilight Zone
  • Doctor Who
  • M.A.S.H.
  • The Sky At Night
  • I, Claudius
  • Minder
  • Bergerac
  • Tenko
  • The World At War

Best one-off TV programme of all time bar none...

Threads.

They've only gone and bloody done it 

I no particular order but mine might well include:

Breaking Bad

Gomorrah

Subarra

Black Mirror

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

Caliphate

Narcos

Chernobyl

Fargo

With honourable mentions for:

Killing Eve, Das Boot, Happy Valley, Westworld and House of Cards.

I know, I've cheated and listed 15.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I no particular order but mine might well include:

Breaking Bad

Gomorrah

Subarra

Black Mirror

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

Caliphate

Narcos

Chernobyl

Fargo

With honourable mentions for:

Killing Eve, Das Boot, Happy Valley, Westworld and House of Cards.

I know, I've cheated and listed 15.

You've cheated with Caliphate and Chernobyl as both were only one season. 

We'd probably have had both if it was one season.

We considered Subarra too, very good. However, the latest season was tragic. 

I flat-out forgot about Succession @Anag Ram. Both that and Mayor of Kingstown would have made a top 20 for sure.

Bear in mind I haven't seen allot of the series' from streaming services, Sky etc that others have mentioned :-

Spiral

The Wire

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

Boys From The Blackstuff

The Bridge

Borgen

Our Friends In The North

The Killing

Snowfall

Kin might well break into that list once I've seen the 3rd series. Ozark would have been on it but for the fact that it lost its way towards the end of the run. 

18 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Bear in mind I haven't seen allot of the series' from streaming services, Sky etc that others have mentioned :-

Spiral

The Wire

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

Boys From The Blackstuff

The Bridge

Borgen

Our Friends In The North

The Killing

Snowfall

Kin might well break into that list once I've seen the 3rd series. Ozark would have been on it but for the fact that it lost its way towards the end of the run. 

I'd forgotten about Snowfall too. That was great and very underrated it seemed. I didn't realise there was a 5the and 6th season tbh. May need to check how I can get that.

We saw the US version of The Killing which was great. So we decided to watch the original - was it Danish? But the script was word for word and it isn't one of those things I can watch more than once because there's no suspense. 

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'd forgotten about Snowfall too. That was great and very underrated it seemed. I didn't realise there was a 5the and 6th season tbh. May need to check how I can get that.

We saw the US version of The Killing which was great. So we decided to watch the original - was it Danish? But the script was word for word and it isn't one of those things I can watch more than once because there's no suspense. 

Snowfall S.5&6 might still be on i-Player. 

Yes, the Killing was Danish.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

BBC I player has got all the Snowfall series on. Very good and probably based upon true event. 

This thread keeps reminding me to watch Gomarrah, I really should.

To help me narrow this down, I've gone back to look at "The Ultimate Watchlist" you can find on Now TV. It's got all these with the starred ones definitely in my own top 10...

Sopranos

Succession*

Game of Thrones

Band of Brothers

The Wire*

Sherlock

Six Feet Under*

The Leftovers*

Boardwalk Empire

Justified

Big Little Lies

The Deuce

(It's also got brilliant stand alone series Watchmen, Chernobyl, The Last of Us, Mare of Easttown, The Night Of, True Detective plus loads of comedies too)

If you have never watched many of these, they are yours for approx the price of 2 pints a month.

Sopranos-it is obvioulsy great, but I'm not sure it's 100% in my top 10. I did watch it late though, so it was hyped to death already. But so was the Wire and it was even better than I hoped

I'd probably have Breaking Bad + Better Call Saul and Sons of Anarchy + Mayans in as 2 entries. Which is maybe cheating.

The This is England spinoffs in there too.

That leaves me with 3 to choose, with Sopranos maybe included.

Not including documentary series and in no particular order:

The Killing (Danish)

Caliphate 

Severance

The Wire

Justified 

Trapped 

The Expanse 

Andor

Deadwood

Breaking Bad

Probably forgetting some that I shouldn't be.  Ooops, and I never read the has to be 2 seasons bit, still I only broke that rule 3 times as far as I can see 🙂 

Edited by Highgate

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

To help me narrow this down, I've gone back to look at "The Ultimate Watchlist" you can find on Now TV. It's got all these with the starred ones definitely in my own top 10...

Sopranos

Succession*

Game of Thrones

Band of Brothers

The Wire*

Sherlock

Six Feet Under*

The Leftovers*

Boardwalk Empire

Justified

Big Little Lies

The Deuce

(It's also got brilliant stand alone series Watchmen, Chernobyl, The Last of Us, Mare of Easttown, The Night Of, True Detective plus loads of comedies too)

If you have never watched many of these, they are yours for approx the price of 2 pints a month.

Sopranos-it is obvioulsy great, but I'm not sure it's 100% in my top 10. I did watch it late though, so it was hyped to death already. But so was the Wire and it was even better than I hoped

I'd probably have Breaking Bad + Better Call Saul and Sons of Anarchy + Mayans in as 2 entries. Which is maybe cheating.

Jeez, how could I forget Better Call Saul?!?

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sopranos

Succession*

Game of Thrones

Band of Brothers

The Wire*

Sherlock

Six Feet Under*

The Leftovers*

Boardwalk Empire

Justified

Big Little Lies

The Deuce

I forgot about The Leftovers and The Deuce. We enjoyed both. Much preferred the first season of Big Little Lies tbh.