New Kit supplier

SECornerRAM

On 05/04/2024 at 12:19, angieram said:

I think whether a Club gets a generic kit or a bespoke one is more to do with the size of their fanbase than where they are in the Leagues. 

We will be able to demonstrate fairly impressive sales figures to any potential new supplier, enough to incorporate our own  ideas.

There is an element of that in the decision making process of manufacturers.

Mentioning this person might upset a few people on here, but Kieran Maguire has explained it quite well on his podcast. Basically, it is less profitable for the manufacturers to create shirts with a custom template if they aren't producing many. Therefore, for 'bigger' teams where they will be producing tens of thousands and even millions its alright, whereas for 'smaller' teams it is cheaper to get a template then stick a badge on.

However, there are a number of small teams who have had bespoke kits in recent years. For example, Chesterfield had a bespoke home and away kit this season and revealed a bespoke home shirt for next season (I think their away one is a template). Puma seem to design some decent bespoke kits, even for league and non league teams. This years Chesterfield shirt had the crooked spire on the design, while York City's kit last season had the York minster cathedral built into the design. It would be really good to have a kit inspired by something related to the city of Derby.

46 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Mentioning this person might upset a few people on here, but Kieran Maguire has explained it quite well on his podcast. Basically, it is less profitable for the manufacturers to create shirts with a custom template if they aren't producing many. Therefore, for 'bigger' teams where they will be producing tens of thousands and even millions its alright, whereas for 'smaller' teams it is cheaper to get a template then stick a badge on.

However, there are a number of small teams who have had bespoke kits in recent years. For example, Chesterfield had a bespoke home and away kit this season and revealed a bespoke home shirt for next season (I think their away one is a template). Puma seem to design some decent bespoke kits, even for league and non league teams. This years Chesterfield shirt had the crooked spire on the design, while York City's kit last season had the York minster cathedral built into the design. It would be really good to have a kit inspired by something related to the city of Derby.

I haven't listened to that. I wonder what the factor is to ensure a bespoke kit, then? Couldn't see Chesterfield being in a position to pay extra.

1 hour ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Chesterfield’s isn’t a bespoke kit per-se, rather a blank template with a custom graphic printed on top of the fabric which is extremely cheap and easy for to do. 

On 05/04/2024 at 07:03, Rich84 said:

Is there any difference between using Kangaroo skin or Cow skin if they have been bred for farming, the meat is in the food chain, are you advocating it be wasted? Surely utilising as much as possible from farmed animals is better than wasting it. I genuinely didn't know they used that product and what the issue is with it, I am making the assumption that they are farmed in my ignorance by the way.

Realistically, for sports, we aren't going to change to plant based footwear are we, (again I haven't done any research on viable alternatives) and plastic based is a bigger no no.

Not been on for a few days apologies for delay. Kangaroos are massacred and their joeys are often left alive in the pouches. Biggest wildlife massacre on planet Earth . It’s a free for all. Adidas are implicated by their demand for kangaroo skin to make the boots. 

In terms of plant based footwear there’s  an ever increasing choice. 

On 05/04/2024 at 13:01, Comrade 86 said:

What's this about mate? Genuine question. I buy their training gear as it's really good quality, being the reason I ask.

Apologies for the delay @Comrade 86 not been on for a few days. Especially in the States UA promote their gear and use hunting links including ‘big game’ to promote their clothing. That’s the massacre of wildlife especially endangered species. I’m certainly no expert but learnt about it several years ago. You can search online to find it. 
I used to have some of their clothing but gave to charity once I found out.

All about an individuals choice I understand. Ethical brands are my thing so I have a little bit of knowledge, never enough!! 

5 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Apologies for the delay @Comrade 86 not been on for a few days. Especially in the States UA promote their gear and use hunting links including ‘big game’ to promote their clothing. That’s the massacre of wildlife especially endangered species. I’m certainly no expert but learnt about it several years ago. You can search online to find it. 
I used to have some of their clothing but gave to charity once I found out.

All about an individuals choice I understand. Ethical brands are my thing so I have a little bit of knowledge, never enough!! 

Ah, that's not cool. I didn't even know they sold hunting gear until you mentioned it and I did a quick search. Duly noted, though I did buy about £200's worth before Xmas as all my gym kit was fooked 😑

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ah, that's not cool. I didn't even know they sold hunting gear until you mentioned it and I did a quick search. Duly noted, though I did buy about £200's worth before Xmas as all my gym kit was fooked 😑

It’s a minefield mate truly is. I subscribe to Ethical Consumer and they do all sorts of surveys and checks on all sorts of products. One minute you think you’re doing the right thing then find out the company you bough from support the very opposite of your beliefs. As I said I’m always learning. 
Back on kit supplier I’d quite fancy Kappa back again. I’ve not checked their ethics yet though!!! 

8 minutes ago, SKRam said:

It’s a minefield mate truly is. I subscribe to Ethical Consumer and they do all sorts of surveys and checks on all sorts of products. One minute you think you’re doing the right thing then find out the company you bough from support the very opposite of your beliefs. As I said I’m always learning. 
Back on kit supplier I’d quite fancy Kappa back again. I’ve not checked their ethics yet though!!! 

Bit hypocritical I guess, but I'm not donating mine to charity! That said, I'll steer clear moving forwards. I bought all my kit through Lovell which is a rugby kit supplier and I recall scanning their range, but I guess they're not going to have hunting kit on there. Cheers for the heads up anyway. I'll have a gander at Ethical Consumer too.

Edited by Comrade 86

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I haven't listened to that. I wonder what the factor is to ensure a bespoke kit, then? Couldn't see Chesterfield being in a position to pay extra.

From what I’ve read in leagues 1 and 2, where most teams have template kits, teams could make around 40% of the net cost of a shirt. Hypothetically, if our current deal is along these lines the club would make £17.60 from the sale of an adult shirt (40% of £55 minus tax). However, in the premier league, where most teams have bespoke kits they receive 7% of the net sale from shirts. Therefore the club would receive £3.08 from the sale of a shirt if their deal is in line with the average. The big difference I presume would be that there would be a larger amount paid upfront, as opposed to only getting money from sales.

I believe our deal would be different though, as I’m sure MM sold the rights for derby merchandise to Fanatics in a 10 year deal if I’m not mistaken. 

Regarding Chesterfield though, I noticed there two shirts are priced differently. The bespoke kit is available for pre order at £55, while the template kit is available for £39. I’d infer from this that the club would make a lower % from the sale of a bespoke shirt, than they would for a template shirt.

1 hour ago, Vimto Enjoyer said:

Chesterfield’s isn’t a bespoke kit per-se, rather a blank template with a custom graphic printed on top of the fabric which is extremely cheap and easy for to do. 

I see what you mean, I was just going on the fact that the club have been calling it a bespoke kit.

On the website for the current seasons shirt it says:

“The Spireites’ new bespoke kits for the 2023/24 season are now available to purchase at the Club Superstore.

This is the first time there has been a bespoke kit design for the Spireites since the 2009/10 season.”

Edited by Chesterfield_Ram
Adding details