Paul Warne

Day

On 29/08/2024 at 11:52, Gabby'sThighs said:

It's a while to wait but I'm going to reserve judgement until the end of October, after 15 games played. By then the new players should have bedded in, they're all Warne's picks, no excuses, and we'll have played 6-ish more teams we'd expect to get some points against. Four points from September? Six from October? We could be looking at 13-15 points going into November, which is relegation form.
November's fixtures should be a chance to pick up a number of wins - Stoke, Coventry, Plymouth, Preston, Swansea, Wednesday - before a tough December.

If we're still seriously struggling after Hull on 26th Oct, maybe twist then if there is a good option available, but I'm not a fan of mid-season switches.

This thread's gone quiet!

After the last 2 games, the next 3 home games look a good shout to be wins, and 4 away games where a point would be great. Could we get to November on 18-20 points?

I think the club's recruitment is showing its value - Jackson, Zetterstrom, Kenzo, Yates, Ebou, Nyambe have all been superb - and Warne has shown an ability to switch it up for different teams. Defensive counter-attack against Boro & Watford, more direct against Bristol City & Cardiff. We suddenly have pace, technical ability, and some big tacklers, right across the team.

My only gripe is the Brown situation: he could have come on earlier against Bristol, and didn't make it on the pitch against Cardiff. I don't know why Warne bothered keeping Brown when he could be getting starts & minutes at a L2 club.

7 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Couldn't tell you.  I've had him on mute for weeks...  Similarly I've blocked a number of the more enthusiastic Warne Out brigade on Twitter, but as soon as we're one nil down, you still get the odd "GeT tHAt PE teaCheR ouTtA my CLuB" idiots.  The thing is, bar the fact we don't play like Prime Barca week in week out, I can't see what people's issue is with him.  

No need mate, we’ve been winning 😂.

2 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

My only gripe is the Brown situation: he could have come on earlier against Bristol, and didn't make it on the pitch against Cardiff. I don't know why Warne bothered keeping Brown when he could be getting starts & minutes at a L2 club.

I think there’s a couple of reasons why Warne has chosen to keep Brown.

Firstly, a red card or injury to Yates and we’re in trouble. Collin’s covers but who’s on the bench? To quote Warne, Wash has managed 60 minutes in the last year. So I’m not sure that’s the solution.

Secondly, as an u21 Brown doesn’t take a spot in the 25 man squad. Effectively giving us a 26 man squad.

I also think Warne will give him minutes. Not loads, not as much as others might and only in specific circumstances. I think that’s because Warne’s primary focus is on the immediate task in hand of getting points in any given game. In this scenario, the harder Brown tries the more he’ll be rewarded.

Finally, I think it’s possible Warne thinks Brown might learn more from being in and around a squad particularly (and I have no evidence for this) if Yates has taken him under his wing.

5 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

I’m just waiting for someone to say that Saturdays goal was “yet another from a set piece” because there was a throw in before it. 

I’m going to try and defend this. Before ‘new Derby’ was born I think it was a legitimate concern that we were over reliant on set pieces.

That’s now been dispelled. We’re playing some scintillating football and although I was never fervently Warne Out I didn’t think we could play like we currently are.

So, controversially I’ve changed my mind and I won’t have been the only one. Perhaps welcoming us back into the ‘We’re all Derby aren’t we’ family might be an idea.

Of course, if you’re primarily referencing the need to declare a 27 pass move that resulted in a goal as a set piece because it started with a goal kick I’m with you. Furthermore I blame Gary Neville for it. And that even more annoying scouser who’s his mate. Whether that is fair or not is irrelevant.

On 15/09/2024 at 19:07, jono said:

Good post 👍🏼. I was in two minds with the Collins v Brown thing. … Collo knows his way round, his instincts and experience are there but his pace has gone and he is probably at best a league 1 striker. In those circumstances Barrow is where you’d expect him to be able do a productive job. Then Brown, he’s been playing at that level and doing well so give him a go is a good idea linked with the gained experience of playing with his soon to be peers.

I reckon it was toss of the coin, with the desire to keep Collo in a good frame of mind that won the day. I doubt it was any dogged anti youth thing which I find hard to accept. 

Agee with both of these posts.  I’d add that he maybe had in mind to give Collins an hour when it’d be more of a battle with Barrow up for the fight.  I recall he gave Brown the last half hour (ish) where he could possibly use his pace and power to good effect and hopefully get a confidence boosting goal.  There was also the possibility that Brown could well have gone on loan somewhere (if we’d signed another striker) therefore giving Collins some much needed minutes also made sense. For me PW made a balanced, considered opinion rather than having a general reluctance to play youth.  

17 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

This thread's gone quiet!

After the last 2 games, the next 3 home games look a good shout to be wins, and 4 away games where a point would be great. Could we get to November on 18-20 points?

I think the club's recruitment is showing its value - Jackson, Zetterstrom, Kenzo, Yates, Ebou, Nyambe have all been superb - and Warne has shown an ability to switch it up for different teams. Defensive counter-attack against Boro & Watford, more direct against Bristol City & Cardiff. We suddenly have pace, technical ability, and some big tacklers, right across the team.

It's almost like when people who are critical of Warne see signs of progress on the pitch and a marked improvement to the football on show they've got what they wanted so there is no need to complain, crazy eh?

My main criticism of Warne has been style of play, Bristol and the first half against Cardiff showed me he can set us up to play some nice stuff, which is great to see. Hopefully those results have given him and the team the confidence to do it more frequently and ditch the 'underdog mentality/inferiority complex' I think they are all as a collective too quick to adopt.

30 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's almost like when people who are critical of Warne see signs of progress on the pitch and a marked improvement to the football on show they've got what they wanted so there is no need to complain, crazy eh?

My main criticism of Warne has been style of play, Bristol and the first half against Cardiff showed me he can set us up to play some nice stuff, which is great to see. Hopefully those results have given him and the team the confidence to do it more frequently and ditch the 'underdog mentality/inferiority complex' I think they are all as a collective too quick to adopt.

But by not returning to express their satisfaction in how things have improved on the pitch (or otherwise), we're left with the suspicion that they were just trolling anyway. It's better when they do what you have done and given your current opinion. 

Edited by Crewton

I think some of the signings are excellent and obviously our home form is impressive, there are 3-4 really nice bits of play per match and I just don't see us conceding...

...but I still don't really feel any connection to the team or manager, don't feel any sort of elation when we score (it barely registers even as enjoyment), find the games boring to watch beyond the first 45 minutes/hour, get frustrated with the ineptitude of our opposition, find the declarations of 'love' for Warne utterly cringe (he's just a football manager, you mad b****** 😉) and find the idea that physically bullying the opposition and playing the percentages on set pieces is some sort of revolutionary tactic (hyperbole intended) bizarre when that's basically just Tony Pulis' Stoke.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I think some of the signings are excellent and obviously our home form is impressive, there are 3-4 really nice bits of play per match and I just don't see us conceding...

...but I still don't really feel any connection to the team or manager, don't feel any sort of elation when we score (it barely registers even as enjoyment), find the games boring to watch beyond the 45 minutes/hour, get frustrated with the ineptitude of our opposition, find the declarations of 'love' for Warne utterly cringe and find the idea that physically bullying the opposition and playing the percentages on set pieces is some sort of revolutionary tactic bizarre when it's basically just us turning into Tony Pulis' Stoke.

I think you may need a trial separation. 

1 minute ago, May Contain Nuts said:

...but I still don't really feel any connection to the team or manager, don't feel any sort of elation when we score (it barely registers even as enjoyment), find the games boring to watch beyond the 45 minutes/hour, get frustrated with the ineptitude of our opposition, find the declarations of 'love' for Warne utterly cringe and find the idea that physically bullying the opposition and playing the percentages on set pieces is some sort of revolutionary tactic bizarre when it's basically just us turning into Tony Pulis' Stoke.

I mean with the best will in the world, but step away from the club and the forum for a bit. Disconnect and come back to it a few weeks or months down the line. Don't burn yourself out on something you feel that you can only be negative towards. 

I completely get where you are coming from and was in that place for most of last season. Disconnecting and coming back meant I could lose some of the inherent frustration with it and try to enjoy things for what they were. It does help as well that we are seeing signs of doing something better. But I don't think I could have seen the positives if I'd stayed in it. 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I mean with the best will in the world, but step away from the club and the forum for a bit. Disconnect and come back to it a few weeks or months down the line. Don't burn yourself out on something you feel that you can only be negative towards. 

I completely get where you are coming from and was in that place for most of last season. Disconnecting and coming back meant I could lose some of the inherent frustration with it and try to enjoy things for what they were. It does help as well that we are seeing signs of doing something better. But I don't think I could have seen the positives if I'd stayed in it. 

i don't feel particularly negative about it, more nonplussed and analytical, but I understand what you're saying.

I've already been keeping posts to a minimum recently anyway, I posted today because of the above post from Crewton about people not returning to update their opinion.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

But by not returning to express their satisfaction in how things have improved on the pitch (or otherwise), we're left with the suspicion that they were just trolling anyway. It's better when they do what you have done and given your current opinion. 

I think it's a combination of things:

- Some actually have expressed that sentiment

- Some might feel like it's a false dawn but don't want to rain on people's parades

- Some might not really see an improvement but a win's a win

- People, especially on the internet, are far far more likely to express something when they are frustrated or angry

- And then there might be a tiny tiny amount of people who are genuinely there to troll.

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I’m not sure that behind the scenes they see themselves as underdogs.  I think they set up to win but have different approaches tactically dependent on who they play. I still think they go out with the belief that they can win.  

4 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

i don't feel particularly negative about it, more nonplussed and analytical, but I understand what you're saying.

I've already been keeping posts to a minimum recently anyway, I posted today because of the above post from Crewton about people not returning to update their opinion.

Thanks, but I wasn't thinking of you either. You post regularly on other topics.

It looks like I'm going to have name and shame, because too many posters have misread the OP! 

I will raise one point with @May Contain Nuts though, about our corners. Cardiff had some pretty big defenders, so we didn't always simply cross it into the box, we tried a couple of short corners. From one of those, Elder flashed a low cross-shot just wide of the far post. There was variety in our dead-ball kicks.

Perception is a personal thing, but I honestly don't think we're turning into Pulis' Stoke with its 4 central defenders and Rory Delap slingshot throw.

Edited by Crewton