Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Yes I'm sure that the only thing Ipswich fans care about this season is finishing out of the relegation places - but apparently Derby County should concentrate more on playing open, attacking football despite not having spent a fifth of what Ipswich have before and after promotion.

I’m not sure it’s necessarily a demand for playing open, attacking football straight away for the more sensible and patient amongst us but the performance against Barrow was grim and something of a cause for concern regardless of how little we, as supporters, rate the tournament.

Hopefully we’ll see an improvement on Saturday but I’m not going to get too stressed if we only have 35 - 40% possession and only a handful of real chances provided we win. 

Considering where we’re at in our rebuild, any manager would be struggling with managing skint Derby this season.

We haven’t done what Ipswich and now Birmingham are doing, spending big money in League One on young players to avoid FFP and have a Champioship ready squad made when you do get promoted. Ipswich spent 10 million in 2 years and Brum are breaking records for money spent in League One.

We couldn’t do that because of restrictions and, all things considered, did well to get promoted within two seasons of a full reset but you can see the impact it’s had now.

Considering how wretched the squad supposedly is, I think we’ve started the season fairly well. Blackburn was a wake up call, while Boro and Watford were both gutsy performances that were a big improvement. An EFL Cup Tie on a Tuesday night in Barrow is it’s own beast and people overreact to losing to a lower league side every time, even though it constantly happens every season to plenty of different teams. When you win it’s the magic of the cup and when you lose it’s an unmitigated failure. I don’t read too much into either.

I’m confident we’ll keep improving and I don’t believe Warne is setting them up to sit back every game. Yates just said in his interview that the lads ‘needed to be braver’ in the game against Watford and that’s where the current problem lies.

This squad needs to gel (midfield is entirely new and the attack may as well be) and I’m confident they will grow into the season. They are adapting to a new league and standard, there are lots of games to go and Warne is their man - they will improve, just as he has steadily improved us throughout his tenure. I think he’s a manager that regardless of what you think of his style of play, gets big results and gets the most out of his players.

Anyone Warne Out was wrong all last season and will never come to terms with a manager with his style of play.

I sympathise with them, I’ve been there myself. It’s never nice to want a managerial change that’s not coming but I hope you all at least enjoy moaning when we lose and moaning when we win.

7 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Anyone Warne Out was wrong all last season and will never come to terms with a manager with his style of play.

I sympathise with them, I’ve been there myself. It’s never nice to want a managerial change that’s not coming but I hope you all at least enjoy moaning when we lose and moaning when we win.

Nope. Not enjoying seeing Derby reduced to being a Rotherham clone thanks.

6 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Considering where we’re at in our rebuild, any manager would be struggling with managing skint Derby this season.

We haven’t done what Ipswich and now Birmingham are doing, spending big money in League One on young players to avoid FFP and have a Champioship ready squad made when you do get promoted. Ipswich spent 10 million in 2 years and Brum are breaking records for money spent in League One.

We couldn’t do that because of restrictions and, all things considered, did well to get promoted within two seasons of a full reset but you can see the impact it’s had now.

Considering how wretched the squad supposedly is, I think we’ve started the season fairly well. Blackburn was a wake up call, while Boro and Watford were both gutsy performances that were a big improvement. An EFL Cup Tie on a Tuesday night in Barrow is it’s own beast and people overreact to losing to a lower league side every time, even though it constantly happens every season to plenty of different teams. When you win it’s the magic of the cup and when you lose it’s an unmitigated failure. I don’t read too much into either.

I’m confident we’ll keep improving and I don’t believe Warne is setting them up to sit back every game. Yates just said in his interview that the lads ‘needed to be braver’ in the game against Watford and that’s where the current problem lies.

This squad needs to gel (midfield is entirely new and the attack may as well be) and I’m confident they will grow into the season. They are adapting to a new league and standard, there are lots of games to go and Warne is their man - they will improve, just as he has steadily improved us throughout his tenure. I think he’s a manager that regardless of what you think of his style of play, gets big results and gets the most out of his players.

Our budget is why we needed to do something different and not fight over the same 6 players with 23 other clubs - lower league players or more players from abroad being obvious routes to take. Or, a different approach to tactics, so players out of favour at their clubs will be a perfect match for our system.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure it’s necessarily a demand for playing open, attacking football straight away for the more sensible and patient amongst us but the performance against Barrow was grim and something of a cause for concern regardless of how little we, as supporters, rate the tournament.

Hopefully we’ll see an improvement on Saturday but I’m not going to get too stressed if we only have 35 - 40% possession and only a handful of real chances provided we win. 

It's not the sensible and patient that I'm talking about, nor anyone specifically upset by the performance at Barrow, it's those who've been posting negatively pretty much ever since Warne was appointed, bar the day promotion was confirmed.

I’d imagine things can get a bit tetchy and awkward around this time. Some players may be considering moves and some will be anxious that the newcomers might take their place. Warne has made no bones about the need for ‘better’ players, which isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of those who are here.

Might explain a poor midweek performance with the bigger game due on Saturday.

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Gayle and Waghorn are on part for me, if anything Waghorn slightly ahead.

Both were late signings to plug the gap of failing to sign a forward. The difference is, Waghorn played 27 times during a whole season, whilst Gayle only 6 times in half a season. 7 goals vs 3 goals and an assist.

Fair points, I'd probably agree that they're more even than the post intially suggested.

I was also basing it on Waghorn coming in at the start of the season in a less pressured situation whereas Gayle came in at a point where the season could well have derailed without him, and his style of play had (IMO) a bigger impact on how the team played in that brief run of games.

Also despite appearance numbers I have Gayle down as playing in 27% of our league minutes since the day he was signed, Waghorn (who was available for our 2nd game of the season) only 21%. Fine margins.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Based on what i've seen so far it's difficult to say, depends if the promising ones are used correctly / live up to it.

Only having 2/28 (26 new players) signings I can confidently call a success isn't exactly promising, but that number could change significantly.

image.thumb.png.6b53973c5d32d2daf89f66fbff53efc9.png

Not to much to argue with apart rom the Waghorn bit who won us a lot of points early on whilst Bradley and ward have been ok ish but what were people expecting?

25 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Not to much to argue with apart rom the Waghorn bit who won us a lot of points early on whilst Bradley and ward have been ok ish but what were people expecting?

Bradley (especially) & Ward (maybe) were signed on the premise that they'd be capable of stepping up to the Championship with us, as was our mantra for the transfer window. By that reckoning it's not looking hopeful that either meet that expectation.

All just a subjective assessment thrown together with some broad categories in about 3 minutes.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

29 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I bet you weren’t expecting it though ?

Given our budget compared with other teams in L1, I expected a high successful hit rate. There's no excuse for a poor rate when we had 10x the budget of teams at the bottom and 20% higher than teams at the top of the table. Plymouth got promoted with a £9.1m wage bill. Warne failed to place top 6 when the wage bill was almost double (£17.2m)

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our budget is why we needed to do something different and not fight over the same 6 players with 23 other clubs - lower league players or more players from abroad being obvious routes to take. Or, a different approach to tactics, so players out of favour at their clubs will be a perfect match for our system.

Isn't that what we're doing with the new Sporting Intelligence Unit though?

The recent Radio Derby interview with Stephen Pearce and Mo Babat (paraphrasing) said they were putting everything in place and we'd start to see results next season.

We've got to walk before we can run.  We've not long existed administration, we're restocking the academy, building a Championship squad and looking at new ways to recruit players.  As we haven't got millions to through at instant results, an upward curve is the next best option.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

Isn't that what we're doing with the new Sporting Intelligence Unit though? The recent Radio Derby interview with Stephen Pearce and Mo Babat (paraphrasing) said they were putting everything in place and we'd start to see results next season.

We've got to walk before we can run.  We've not long existed administration, we're restocking the academy, building a Championship squad and looking at new ways to recruit players.  As we haven't got millions to through at instant results, an upward curve is the next best option.

Jam tomorrow.

They've been here since last November are they coding from scratch?

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Given our budget compared with other teams in L1, I expected a high successful hit rate. There's no excuse for a poor rate when we had 10x the budget of teams at the bottom and 20% higher than teams at the top of the table. Plymouth got promoted with a £9.1m wage bill. Warne failed to place top 6 when the wage bill was almost double (£17.2m)

Allot of that wage bill though was taken up by players who were signed by Rosenior and others whose wages were set in the Mel Morris era. How much of it is taken up by Warne's signings?

Plymouth also built their squad over at least 3 seasons including a successful promotion campaign, with no EFL-imposed restrictions. I doubt anyone would argue that our £17m represented all-round VFM?

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

Isn't that what we're doing with the new Sporting Intelligence Unit though?

The recent Radio Derby interview with Stephen Pearce and Mo Babat (paraphrasing) said they were putting everything in place and we'd start to see results next season.

Signing injury prone players unsurprisngly resulted in them missing large chunks of the season.
Signing Fornah was an obvious mistake before he had even kicked a ball - even more so when Warne admitted to expecting him to be more like Adams.
Signing an attacker with poor a defensive work rate (Blackett-Taylor) and expecting him to slot in to our high intesity system was an obvious mistake.
Springett and White weren't any better than the players we already had in the squad and didn't need to be signed.

Just those few points cover the majority of 'misses', and they all stood out the second they were announced. The 'SIU' wasn't needed to see through those previous flaws in Warne's recruitment.
The academy doesn't even enter this discussion. Firstly none of those players are part of Warne's squad. Secondly, the academy staff actually know what they're looking for when recruiting kids.
2 years out of admin, but every player in this squad has now been given a contract by Warne - he's made the signings he wanted and shaped it the way he wanted. Look back at Rosenior's signings [when were were exiting admin!] and he had a very high hit rate compared with Warne. Arguably, the only 'miss' was Chester, with the rest proving to be at the very least reliable squad players, whilst several were still core members of the starting 11 last season.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Signing injury prone players unsurprisngly resulted in them missing large chunks of the season.
Signing Fornah was an obvious mistake before he had even kicked a ball - even more so when Warne admitted to expecting him to be more like Adams.
Signing an attacker with poor a defensive work rate (Blackett-Taylor) and expecting him to slot in to our high intesity system was an obvious mistake.
Springett and White weren't any better than the players we already had in the squad and didn't need to be signed.

Just those few points cover the majority of 'misses', and they all stood out the second they were announced. The 'SIU' wasn't needed to see through those previous flaws in Warne's recruitment.
The academy doesn't even enter this discussion. Firstly none of those players are part of Warne's squad. Secondly, the academy staff actually know what they're looking for when recruiting kids.
2 years out of admin, but every player in this squad has now been given a contract by Warne - he's made the signings he wanted and shaped it the way he wanted. Look back at Rosenior's signings [when were were exiting admin!] and he had a very high hit rate compared with Warne. Arguably, the only 'miss' was Chester, with the rest proving to be at the very least reliable squad players, whilst several were still core members of the starting 11 last season.

Springett and White were signed because we could literally get no one else at the time.  We were going along reasonably well in PWs first season, flirting with the top 6 until the teams around us strengthened during the January window.  Our post-administration restrictions handcuffed us and we inevitably ran out of steam.

As for the rest of our 'misses', I can only assume we signed the best players we could given the financial restrictions of being a recently out of administration Lg1 team.  They did their job however and got us promoted.

As for our hits and the players PW improved that he inherited... *tumbleweed*

I highlighted the academy along with the recruitment dept as areas of the club that were gutted during administration and/or are going under going strengthening - these things take time that some people are unwilling to give.  You don't create a SIU and expect instantly results.

50 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Jam tomorrow.

They've been here since last November are they coding from scratch?

According to the interview, every club has lots of data available  - hence we're currently fighting with multiple other teams for the same players.  We're creating new systems to uncover players that are undervalued, maybe being played in the wrong system, whatever - can't remember I'd have to listen to the interview again.  I do recall Babat saying it wouldn't start to net results until next season however (not even the Jan transfer window).  Don't shoot the messenger.

We're 2 years out of administration, we've spent that entire time trying to rebuild a club and a squad on a budget.  We were wage capped to begin with in Lg1, now and how we're competing with teams that can offer considerably more in terms of transfer fees and wages.  I personally think the trajectory of the club is going just fine.  Assuming we retain our Championship status next season, I would hope to see a better standard of signing next summer followed by an improved league position. 

I am more than happy with the success PW has bought us, especially given the conditions he's been working under and am very happy with the approach the club is taking to improve year on year.  Yes I would like to see better football at times and yes I would like to see additional investment come into the club, in the meantime however, slow and steady progress rather than boom and very nearly bust is a pleasant change.