Paul Warne

Day

21 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Allen was suggesting Warne had done excellent work winning promotion when we’d been ‘stripped back to just about nothing’. My point was that the second half of his proposition doesn’t hold water.  

We started out with 6 contracted senior players after admin. How much more stripped out did we need to be for you to give Warne any kudos?

The re-build is a credit to both Rosenior and Warne, end of. Very few teams that drop to L1 escape as quickly as we have and almost none post-administration. I'm proud of that, irrespective of how much you try to belittle it.

55 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

If the quality of player is the barrier stopping you giving Warne credit, then he was doomed from the start, as he inherited most of the squad. There was never going to be a way for him to impress you as you literally had your back up from the start thinking ''good squad means we should go up, and isn't necessarily a success if we do''. That kind of entitlement and expectancy is what I've argued against all along!

It’d be churlish not to give Warne some credit, given that we’ve been promoted. But we had a strong squad relative to the rest - especially second half of the season - and we were consistently inconsistent throughout.  I would love it to be better under PW next season but tbh that would be a (pleasant) surprise. 

13 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’d be churlish not to give Warne some credit, given that we’ve been promoted. But we had a strong squad relative to the rest - especially second half of the season - and we were consistently inconsistent throughout.  I would love it to be better under PW next season but tbh that would be a (pleasant) surprise. 

Not quite sure how a team can be inconsistent throughout and average 2 points a game ? Efficient would be the word I’d use 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We consistently won? People always say you just need to get out of League 1, by hook or by crook, and worry about the rest later. Warne got us promoted playing pragmatic football and achieved the primary aim of the club which is to get us back in the Championship. Given the transfer restrictions and myriad injuries, there's more than enough mitigating factors to wonder if many of these stylistic choices were forced by circumstance?

Without these restrictions, plus Warne's own comments about ideal style of play, and the necessity to play better football due to heightened competition- the football we see next season should be better. The minimum Warne has earned is for people, especially the dissenters, to just wait and see- he proved a lot of people wrong after Stevenage (A), he's merited the chance to continue to do so.

15 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Fewest goals conceded, best goal difference in the league, highest points total and highest number of away wins in the club's history.

If we even get vaguely close to replicating that level of 'inconsistency' anytime soon, I shall be thoroughly delighted.

6 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

And only lose consecutive matches once.

Also highest points total ever, by ANY manager. 

He needs to do another interview, so he can get bashed for that, as we seem to be going over old ground again.

Or maybe the fact we haven't signed anyone yet shows that he can't attract players...waiting for that one 😉

The only previous occasion DCFC have been promoted from the 3rd tier in my lifetime was under Arthur Cox. As much as I loved Arthur and his team, I remember how frustratingly inconsistent they were in the promotion season. The biggest difference between the two teams, and what gave Warne's team an 8 point advantage, was their ability to turn draws to victories, whereas Arthur's team let an awful lot of leads slip IIRC. Had the play-offs existed at that time, they wouldn't have even gained automatic promotion. Thank goodness there was no internet either eh?

12 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

And only lose consecutive matches once.

Got to say i was very critical of the standard of football played under Warne last season, but when you look back at the stats ive got to say its pretty impressive (ie 2 points averaged per game etc) and hold my hands up to say well done to you sir. Like they say, get out of league 1 by hook or by crook, weve managed to do that, so a lot of credit has to go to Mr Warne.

11 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Also highest points total ever, by ANY manager. 

He needs to do another interview, so he can get bashed for that, as we seem to be going over old ground again.

Or maybe the fact we haven't signed anyone yet shows that he can't attract players...waiting for that one 😉

Or, come close of the window, most of the signings to never have played for him/Rotherham before, and then to be told he only signs players who’ve played for him/Rotherham before 😉.

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Not quite sure how a team can be inconsistent throughout and average 2 points a game ? 

Quite easily. It depends on the opposition 

If you think we played pretty consistently to the level our squad was capable of, then just say so. (I don’t think we did !) 

49 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fewest goals conceded, best goal difference in the league, highest points total and highest number of away wins in the club's history.

If we even get vaguely close to replicating that level of 'inconsistency' anytime soon, I shall be thoroughly delighted.

You saw the games. You think we achieved an acceptable level of consistency, in footballing terms ?  A glance at the match day threads would suggest not

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Or, come close of the window, most of the signings to never have played for him/Rotherham before, and then to be told he only signs players who’ve played for him/Rotherham before 😉

I had a look at this a while back and of the current retained list, we have two players who I believe had played only 40 games under Warne between them. The fact is, we could sign Rodak tomorrow and some would still choose to complain. Sadly, I fully expect the bulk of those who poured the most scorn to return the moment results take a downturn, while some have never ceased despite the promotion, a stance for which I have very little respect.

To my way of thinking, Warne did an excellent job in guiding us out of an absolute bear pit of a division. Of course, the acid test of his ability to build a winning team starts now, but those who pour over every journo link and every word he utters desperately looking for reasons to snipe, probably need to look closer to home for the reasons they derive no joy from the club's resurgence. It's true and fair to point out that Warne faces a very different challenge now and will do so without us being the biggest fish in a small pool too. It absolutely won't be easy and we may need a period of consolidation before meaningful progress is achieved, but my hunch is that he remains somewhat underestimated by his critics, of which I was one, at the time of his appointment.

I hope he continues to prosper and I also hope he will look to play in a style that pleases the purists too. We would all of us love to see us playing in an expansive fashion, but the game is becoming increasingly technical and such a brief is a tough ask, especially mid-rebuild. That said, I would no longer be surprised should he manage to achieve both aims, but should he fail, I'll still retain significant respect for a manager who oversaw our emergence from one of the darkest periods in the club's long history.

Edited by Comrade 86

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

You saw the games. You think we achieved an acceptable level of consistency, in footballing terms ?  A glance at the match day threads would suggest not

So the only supporting evidence you can offer for your opinion (that's all it is, after all), is the match threads? That's it?

You got your the rise out of folk, you sought, so well done on that score, but I think this is the point at which I take my leave from this rather mundane interaction.

32 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Define “footballing terms” for me?

My understanding of it is more than the comments shared in the matchday threads on this forum. It’s likely going to be a collection of objective factors like results, points, goals scored, goals conceded, the league table etc and then some subjective factors like style of play, club identity (the Derby way etc).

So in terms of the objective, statistical elements we fared quite well right? Scored lots, conceded few, averaged 2 points per game, won lots on the road, finished second, got promoted….  

The subjective bits are exactly that, subjective, so if the style of football wasn’t to any one individual’s taste… it’s subjective. If the age profile of the squad and players used didn’t meet the expectations of an individual…. It’s subjective.

So you don’t think we achieved a level of consistency, I assume based on style of play. I do, in that we consistently used a pragmatic approach to accumulate points and gain promotion.
Now we get to see how it all transpires in a new season, in a new league, and with changed circumstances. Fun eh?!

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Don’t say you’ve got it in for Americans as well 

I've only dealt with any Americans twice. The first as a youngster when I was stopped by some bloke who called me boy and asked for directions,  I sent him the wrong way.

The second was in the Oast house where the landlord agreed to a lock in because some blokes were over here training at Rolls Royce and wanted to watch the superbowl,  I stayed for the late drink and made some cash by betting against the team they all thought would win.

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

So the only supporting evidence you can offer for your opinion (that's all it is, after all), is the match threads

Er no.  I said: ‘you saw the games’.  

the reference to the match day threads was a reminder that it’s not only my own opinion 

I guess it depends on whether people are talking about consistency regarding performance or results. 

I do feel there’s a difference. Sometimes we see great, sometimes we were poor. That relates to performance, you never knew which Derby was going to turn up. 

However the results speak for themselves as people have mentioned. Highest point tally, scored loads, conceded little, 2 points per game and promotion. 

tumblr_lyjiqcYeJJ1r4gei2o1_400.gifv

I hope you're alright under there @kevinhectoring.

The idea that we've been inconsistent does hold weight. To have lost more than a fifth / nearly a quarter of our games (10) in a league as poor as last season's was pretty bad tbf given the advantages afforded to us over 90% of the other teams. The promoted teams in the 22/23 season only lost 4,6 & 7 games, Portsmouth only lost 5 so for us to lose 10 games does show a level of consistency lower than it should have been.

The thing with Warne's teams though is that they never play for the draw, so that both increases the risk of us suffering those losses and the chances of us attaining those record breaking wins.

Edited by May Contain Nuts