Paul Warne

Day

6 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Last week I questioned Warne's substitution of Nyambe, and I'm still not convinced it was the right thing to do. But if you're going to question, you should always praise as well when it goes well.

Yesterday, his substitutions and personnel switches were bang on and went a long way to helping us win the game. Releasing Bird higher up, bringing on Smith who can pass, putting NML wider and having Sibley in and around the area, all great tactical switches. Great job!

Glad you enjoyed this week's subs, but Nyambe was injured last week. That's why he came off. Nothing tactical about it. So blaming Warne for it is a tad unfair.

Editing to add he didn't take Collins off last match when he got his knock, despite us being ahead. Now we've lost Collins for a while.

So you win some and you lose some. But we all have the benefit of hindsight whereas Warne doesn't when we're making those subs. Everyone's an expert in hindsight.

Edited by oodledoodle

Deserves massive credit yesterday for changing it up, making clever substitutions and finding a way through Stevenage to get the three points. 

I just wish we didn’t start off playing such turgid stuff at times. Can’t help but feel that we will not get away with that in the Championship. 

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Deserves massive credit yesterday for changing it up, making clever substitutions and finding a way through Stevenage to get the three points. 

I just wish we didn’t start off playing such turgid stuff at times. Can’t help but feel that we will not get away with that in the Championship. 

Yesterday gets a pass from me, as far as the football goes. Finding some kind of shape without a number 9 was always going to be really hard. It's not an easy position to play. Us being disjointed and not even taking a shot in the first half wasn't a surprise. I don't think there was much the coaching staff could have done to change that. Credit to the players and staff for keeping going and finding a way to score.

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Was it clever, or just rectifying his earlier mistake? Which in turn deserves some praise. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

Was it clever, or just rectifying his earlier mistake? Which in turn deserves some praise. 

It’s probably both isn’t it. And in my opinion he gets the set-up wrong from the get go quite a lot.

As @oodledoodlesays though, setting up without a No.9 was always going to be difficult. We had a few injuries. But he also bizarrely dropped Bird back deeper after he’d been playing so well further forward? Why?

I feel I’m in this bizarre place with this football club at the moment. We’re picking up loads of points and we’re second and statistically we’re doing really well - and yet it is so so hard to watch at times.

I hope he gets us promoted and then gets a summer to bring in some better players and we improve. Otherwise…

Been mulling this over since FT today but think this is my current hypothesis about Warne.

I think Warne gets the mentality of opposition teams who see Derby as ‘a big day out’ (or however you want to put it). I think he gets the different approaches when he comes up against the vast majority of league one sides and whilst it doesn’t always mean the prettiest football, he probably gets about 90% of decisions in these games correct. Hence our league position.

I think where PW struggles is where a team fancies it and aren’t treating themselves as underdogs.

What I mean is, that there are games where you need to encourage teams to play, let them have the ball and make mistakes and you capitalise. Again it doesn’t equal the best football but it’s effective. There’s also games like today where I think we need to be, for lack of a better term, Billy big bo****ks and play a professional game. What concerns me, for example in games like today is that they have a big attendance and we don’t go about shutting the crowd up. We let it all grow, the crowd gain confidence, the players gain confidence and we invite the pressure on. We’ve dropped major points in important games this season and i think we can see it’s from maybe not having that mentality to see a game out or poor game management.  PW will persist with players and tactics and gamble on the wrong outcome. Our joy today was through Cashin, Bird and Sibley linking up, but he upset that second half by taking Sibley off and changing shape. He persisted with Wilson, who did little today except, and NML on the wings which Barnsley could defend against, rather than the passing movement that was working a bit.

I like Warne and he’s smart enough to figure out how to overcome the problem he has in these matches, but he’s got to evolve past maybe relying on the easy decision (eg taking sibley off) and try and manage these games more smartly and frustrate teams. Keep the ball, slow the game down, don’t worry about entertainment etc etc 

14 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Been mulling this over since FT today but think this is my current hypothesis about Warne.

I think Warne gets the mentality of opposition teams who see Derby as ‘a big day out’ (or however you want to put it). I think he gets the different approaches when he comes up against the vast majority of league one sides and whilst it doesn’t always mean the prettiest football, he probably gets about 90% of decisions in these games correct. Hence our league position.

I think where PW struggles is where a team fancies it and aren’t treating themselves as underdogs.

What I mean is, that there are games where you need to encourage teams to play, let them have the ball and make mistakes and you capitalise. Again it doesn’t equal the best football but it’s effective. There’s also games like today where I think we need to be, for lack of a better term, Billy big bo****ks and play a professional game. What concerns me, for example in games like today is that they have a big attendance and we don’t go about shutting the crowd up. We let it all grow, the crowd gain confidence, the players gain confidence and we invite the pressure on. We’ve dropped major points in important games this season and i think we can see it’s from maybe not having that mentality to see a game out or poor game management.  PW will persist with players and tactics and gamble on the wrong outcome. Our joy today was through Cashin, Bird and Sibley linking up, but he upset that second half by taking Sibley off and changing shape. He persisted with Wilson, who did little today except, and NML on the wings which Barnsley could defend against, rather than the passing movement that was working a bit.

I like Warne and he’s smart enough to figure out how to overcome the problem he has in these matches, but he’s got to evolve past maybe relying on the easy decision (eg taking sibley off) and try and manage these games more smartly and frustrate teams. Keep the ball, slow the game down, don’t worry about entertainment etc etc 

IMG_0699.jpeg

On 18/02/2024 at 22:55, oodledoodle said:

Glad you enjoyed this week's subs, but Nyambe was injured last week. That's why he came off. Nothing tactical about it. So blaming Warne for it is a tad unfair.

Editing to add he didn't take Collins off last match when he got his knock, despite us being ahead. Now we've lost Collins for a while.

So you win some and you lose some. But we all have the benefit of hindsight whereas Warne doesn't when we're making those subs. Everyone's an expert in hindsight.

And there's me thinking you were an expert all the time.

On 18/02/2024 at 23:09, oodledoodle said:

Yesterday gets a pass from me, as far as the football goes. Finding some kind of shape without a number 9 was always going to be really hard. It's not an easy position to play. Us being disjointed and not even taking a shot in the first half wasn't a surprise. I don't think there was much the coaching staff could have done to change that. Credit to the players and staff for keeping going and finding a way to score.

I don't think there's much more the management could have done, there was some the players could. It wasn't a dreadful performance as some might have you believe, but we gave the ball away a lot, passes going into touch unnecessarily, kicking from Wildsmith was very off, failing to find players with relatively simple balls.

We made life hard for ourselves sometimes when we didn't have to, which only encouraged Barnsley on. I didn't think there was much between the teams, but neither can I argue with the result. 

8 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Liked the way Warne came over to clap the fans pre match.   Thought that was a small positive from the day - nobody can guarantee a win or even a performance but little things can help create a bit of a common spirit.   

It’s part of a deliberate charm offensive. He was on the pitch before the Stevenage game clapping all the stands. Somebody has had a word

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

It’s part of a deliberate charm offensive. He was on the pitch before the Stevenage game clapping all the stands. Somebody has had a word

Maybe but in a relationship it doesn't hurt to make an effort.