Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

33 minutes ago, Srg said:

Bloke is a bit of a throbber by all accounts, and is tiny so definitely isn’t what Warne is after. 

Just a tad. That said, I've always thought that tatts are a nice way to keep those you cherish most dearly close to heart 🫢

image.thumb.png.929fe3e1d7b87225bef1bf65c44e8848.png

The most obvious loan candidate is Woodrow. Ladapo wasn't great in a league one loan last year, Stanfield likely not going anywhere and if he does it won't be a loan, Cannon expensive and isn't a target man and whilst Jebbison would be good, likely dear and again, not a target man.

I think this graphic helps illustrate the battle we'll be up against. The bottom 4 are all in L1 - £8.4m QPR being the lowest remaining. 

Plymouth, Portsmouth, Oxford and Sheff W replaced them. Without checking each club's accounts, they have approximate squad costs of £3m, £2m, £2.5m, and £5.5m respectively. For comparison, we're at the £3.5m mark... so 4th lowest in the division, not even half way from escaping the bottom 6. 

20240819_101734.thumb.jpg.0ee397b80016226a937bbbf149e59590.jpg

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

The most obvious loan candidate is Woodrow. Ladapo wasn't great in a league one loan last year, Stanfield likely not going anywhere and if he does it won't be a loan, Cannon expensive and isn't a target man and whilst Jebbison would be good, likely dear and again, not a target man.

Coburn the smart option for me if Boro will let him join us. 

Agree the other available targets don’t fit what we’re after.

I think Coburn would be the best fit just in terms of size and athleticism. 

Nathan Fraser at Wolves was an interesting one, but I have just read he is going on loan to a club in the Belgium second division. 

Cannon would be good. Leicester apparently have no fit strikers for tonight, so if Cannon still doesn't get in the squad then you'd imagine he would be out. Did well at Preston last season (8 in 20) so I would imagine if he does go on loan it is probably likely to be a team pushing for top 6 like Norwich. 

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think Coburn would be the best fit just in terms of size and athleticism. 

Nathan Fraser at Wolves was an interesting one, but I have just read he is going on loan to a club in the Belgium second division. 

Cannon would be good. Leicester apparently have no fit strikers for tonight, so if Cannon still doesn't get in the squad then you'd imagine he would be out. Did well at Preston last season (8 in 20) so I would imagine if he does go on loan it is probably likely to be a team pushing for top 6 like Norwich. 

Tom Cannon is wanted by almost every club at this level, his wages are substantial (upwards of £60k a week) so the play is going to be trying to recoup as much money as possible - if he isn't going to be utilised this season. 

The investment to get him on loan over the course of the season is likely to be £1.5-2m and I suspect a team towards the top will pay it. Sheff Utd have just spent £2m to bring in Rak-Sakyi on loan, minus his wages. 

The loan market is far from cheap to deal in. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think this graphic helps illustrate the battle we'll be up against. The bottom 4 are all in L1 - £8.4m QPR being the lowest remaining. 

Plymouth, Portsmouth, Oxford and Sheff W replaced them. Without checking each club's accounts, they have approximate squad costs of £3m, £2m, £2.5m, and £5.5m respectively. For comparison, we're at the £3.5m mark... so 4th lowest in the division, not even half way from escaping the bottom 6. 

20240819_101734.thumb.jpg.0ee397b80016226a937bbbf149e59590.jpg

In 22/23 didn’t the sixth least expensive team get to the playoff final?

For me it’s the quality of the player not how much they cost.

I think if we were ever in for Ladapo it would've been last season, it was surprising to see him struggle as much as he did. I think he was bombed out the squad completely towards the back end of the season too. 

Not one I would imagine we will be in for. 

There's no better time to get a striker cut price then when they are out of form or no where near getting in a side. You just have to hope the gamble pays off and they hit form again.

Yates is a prime example or a deal we have gone for hoping he hits form as he was surplus at Swansea.

Ladapo or someone like him could come in and be rubbish or come in find form, bit of love from fans, players and staff and hit 15 goals. Thats the gamble.

We can't cherry pick teams top scorers or players. We have to be cute in the market.

I'm not saying ladapo is the answer and we must sign him, but I can see the reason why, when some like like cannon is on rumours of 50k + a week and his team are demanding a 7 figure loan fee, he would be someone we have to look at. Our cloth has been cut.

If we are looking for someone who offers something different, might Jayden Stockley be an option? 
Would certainly get on the end of the crosses we put over from out wide. Shouldn’t be expensive at his age. 

37 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

I wonder if we could get Hirst or Broadhead from Ipswich on loan

Both are injured so I’m sure Ipswich would happily send them to us so we can pay for their wages and medical bills

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If we are looking for someone who offers something different, might Jayden Stockley be an option? 
Would certainly get on the end of the crosses we put over from out wide. Shouldn’t be expensive at his age. 

He has 9 championship goals in his life, a decent journeyman target man but not a championship level player 

On 02/08/2024 at 12:27, CornwallRam said:

I wonder if we've looked at Will Evans from Newport? Looks like a late developer and converted last season? to centre forward from defender. Tall, looks to be good in the air and mobile. He appears to be a very 'Warne' player - presses defenders hard and - from YouTube bits, wins a lot from that pressing. Also handy defensively for set pieces.

Downside is he's totally unproven at this level and isn't lightning quick. Would surely be a realistic target if we were interested. 27 so a reasonable age.

Just noticed that a certain Nigel Clough bought Evans for Mansfield for undisclosed thought to be £200k. Be interesting to see how he gets on.

Rutter going to Brighton for 40m, you really dont get much for your money on strikers nowadays.

With each passing signing like this I cant help but feel it makes our loan deal for Yates look better each time, considering he went for a decent fee last summer & was Swansea's top scorer as well scoring plenty for Blackpool at this level too.

47 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Rutter going to Brighton for 40m, you really dont get much for your money on strikers nowadays.

With each passing signing like this I cant help but feel it makes our loan deal for Yates look better each time, considering he went for a decent fee last summer & was Swansea's top scorer as well scoring plenty for Blackpool at this level too.

I was just thinking this about Yates the other day. Getting a striker who has scored goals at this level, on loan, from a team that will be down there with us this season, seems like absolute madness now. 

I do wonder if we’re still open to free agents given how pricey some loans will be. Some suggestions from a quick look at Transfermarkt.

The obvious one is Lucas Joao but since his Reading days he’s been in China and Qatar, likely on wages we won’t pay. 

Tyrese John-Jules has been mentioned by some, although I’m sure we’ve already considered it and deemed him made of glass. Perhaps we’ll get him after the window shuts if we don’t land anyone else. 

Sebastian Andersson - another big swede and formerly of Djurgardens. Scored most of his goals in the Bundlesliga. Now 33 and was released from Koln in Bundesliga.2 this summer - didn’t get many minutes last season. But he is 6ft3in.

Holmbert Fridjonnson - 31, 6ft5 and Icelandic. Has a decent record in the Scandi leagues, scored a few goals in Europe, but didn’t get too much playing time last year in Bundesliga.2. 

Maybe I’m just keen for more Scandinavian giants, but I feel these are the sort of players we might have to end up looking at. People with some left in the tank who are out of sorts elsewhere, perhaps wanting to give England a go, and have scored goals in the past.