Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Iversen would be a good start to the window.  He is a great age, good championship experience, had 2 stints at Preston, so they thought highly of him and then a move to Stoke.

Potentially the best keeper since Carson?

He will do well to catch Carson for medals though 

Edited by bucktwo

Seeing a number of posts listing our contracted players for next season. Unless I've missed it I see no reference to Ben Radcliffe? 

Went to Spain pre-season and from what I understand stayed with the first team squad all season. Spent some time out with injury but came back with the 21's and from what I saw was a real talent.......on a par with Robinson in my humble opinion.

Signed a contract extension which indicates he may have a future at Derby.

Might be another one to keep an eye on this year.

I’ve found it difficult to find good potential loans and frees to recruit for our striking department. Not sure how much we have to spend but can imagine a large % of it will be used on our strike force. I’ve found 4 options which I think would suit our style of play, 2 from Scotland and 2 from Europe. All in a good age bracket and with a range of positives and qualities. 

Moussa Sylla (24) at Pau on loan in Ligue 2 from Caen another Ligue 2 side. Plays up front or on the wing and got 16 goals and 7 assists in 37 games. As Caen failed to be promoted from Ligue 2 and Sylla has one year left on his contract I think he could be available on a cheap deal. Fast and creative with good pressing stats. Perfect for a front two or on either wing in a three. 

Thelonius (Theo) Bair (24) Suggested him before and still think he suits us perfectly. A 6 foot 4 mobile striker with an eye for goal and good hold up play. 15 goals and 6 assists in his 41 games this season in Scotland. Only a year left on his contract also. Also has 2 Canadian caps with 1 goal. Took him a while to settle in Scotland but once he played to his strengths he’s been unbelievable. 

Zan Celar (25) Slovenian international, 6 foot 2 and loves goals. Playing for Lugano he has 51 goals in his 114 games there, with 21 of them coming in 46 games along with 4 assists. He is another with only a year left on his contract. The Swiss league does have some quality and I can’t see how he wouldn’t score goals for us. No idea what fee he would require, he is definitely the most unknown out of the 4 I’ve looked into. 

Bojan Miovski (24) Left footed Macedonian who impresses me whenever I see him. Would imagine he’d cost slightly less than Lewis Ferguson who Aberdeen sold to (champions league qualifying) Bologna last season for roughly 1.65 million pounds. He is probably the most expensive option on the list but he would definitely be worth it. He has 26 goals and 4 assists in his 53 Aberdeen games this season with 4 of them being in Europe. That is following last seasons tally of 18 goals and 3 assists in 42 games. He can score with both feet and good in the air standing at 6 foot 3. 

All this talk about Warne and Rotherham players comes from us signing Washington whose garbage and our poor windows in signing forwards in general. 

But as @Caerphilly Ram has shown, the evidence suggests Warne is open to signing players he hasn’t worked with before. 

I for one, have previously made harsh remarks about Warne and his ‘good guy’ comments. Whilst on some points my opinion remains the same. Looking at our team spirit during the run in, there’s something to be said for signing nice people. 

Let’s see how the window goes/shapes up before making sly digs. We don’t have any restrictions so there’s no excuses for poor recruitment.

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I absolutely love Peterborough's approach to recruitment - the most underrated in the country. The wages they pay are surprisingly small and the talent they bring to the club, develop and make a profit on is fantastic. They seem to take a player every year from Barnet so by extension they're doing something right there too.

I think for any young player with ability wanting to make his way up the pyramid then Peterborough is a fantastic option and they've proven that time and again.

Have we signed a non-league player since Malcolm Christie?

I'd love Derby to copy their methods and pick up some rough diamonds from non-league, but they also have a good record of picking up young players who have been rejected by bigger clubs or fallen out of the 'academy' system. Ivan Toney was in the Newcastle set-up, Dwight Gayle was released by Arsenal and Peterborough picked him up from Dagenham & Redbridge. Simon Davies & Matthew Etherington were scouted as teenagers playing regional football.
They appear to act quickly when they see talent, give those youngsters a shot in the first-team, then aggressively find them a decent move while their stock is high.

Derby seem to hang on to those players for too long, then they get a crap fee or nothing at all, Jeff Hendrick being the obvious exception. Might even have got more for Will Hughes if he'd joined Man Utd a couple of seasons earlier. And at the moment, PW is reluctant to play youth anyway.

The other angle to Peterborough is that selling your best players every season holds you back.

6 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I'd love Derby to copy their methods and pick up some rough diamonds from non-league, but they also have a good record of picking up young players who have been rejected by bigger clubs or fallen out of the 'academy' system. Ivan Toney was in the Newcastle set-up, Dwight Gayle was released by Arsenal and Peterborough picked him up from Dagenham & Redbridge. Simon Davies & Matthew Etherington were scouted as teenagers playing regional football.
They appear to act quickly when they see talent, give those youngsters a shot in the first-team, then aggressively find them a decent move while their stock is high.

Derby seem to hang on to those players for too long, then they get a crap fee or nothing at all, Jeff Hendrick being the obvious exception. Might even have got more for Will Hughes if he'd joined Man Utd a couple of seasons earlier. And at the moment, PW is reluctant to play youth anyway.

The other angle to Peterborough is that selling your best players every season holds you back.

Tom Naylor from Mansfield.

9 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Kelle Roos from Nuneaton Town unfortunately 👍

4 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I have my suspicions on this point, the fact some people on here, and elsewhere online, will push this “we only sign players from Rotherham or South Yorkshire” angle when the evidence shows otherwise. However I was hoping to hear a more expanded rationale to maybe help me understand it a bit more, perhaps I’ve misunderstood the facts.

The way I see it is we’re linked with a Goalkeeper who has plenty of Championship experience and a handful of premier league appearances to his name also, a player who is a good age at 26, who is probably based locally so won’t have massive upheaval domestically if he joins us, and may settle sooner thanks to a pre-existing relationship with the coaching staff. 

I don’t see any issue with taking a good keeper who happens to have played for R’ham. But if we’re into taking outfield players from Warne’s Rotherham days then I’m initially a sceptic not least because I’m concerned they are rated more for their ability to buy into Warne’s view of the world than for their ability to play good Championship football. (Initially, but wanting to be persuaded …) 

1 hour ago, RipRam said:

Seeing a number of posts listing our contracted players for next season. Unless I've missed it I see no reference to Ben Radcliffe? 

Went to Spain pre-season and from what I understand stayed with the first team squad all season. Spent some time out with injury but came back with the 21's and from what I saw was a real talent.......on a par with Robinson in my humble opinion.

Signed a contract extension which indicates he may have a future at Derby.

Might be another one to keep an eye on this year.

Needs to prove his fitness after missing most of last season, before going out on loan in January. 
Evans, Rooney, DRobinson and Weston should all be chasing loan moves this summer. Dependant on the U18s progress, Bartley and Bardell should be targetting loan moves in January too - Bardell needs to stay clear of injuries too.

30 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

If we exclude U21/23 signings...
Roos from Nuneaton, Pringle from Ilkeston, Holdsworth from Havant & Waterlooville

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Needs to prove his fitness after missing most of last season, before going out on loan in January. 
Evans, Rooney, DRobinson and Weston should all be chasing loan moves this summer. Dependant on the U18s progress, Bartley and Bardell should be targetting loan moves in January too - Bardell needs to stay clear of injuries too.

Assuming he is over his injury, I could see Rooney being retained off the back of a strong pre-season. I admit I may have my rose-tints on, but I'm convinced there's a proper footballer in there and if he can avoid injury, I can see him putting down a marker. That said, I absolutely agree that if any /all do fail to make next season's senior squad, then they really must be loaned out. A hunch more than anything, but I feel like one or two have already been treading water a little and need to be set a challenge to progress further, or not, as the case may be. 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

All this talk about Warne and Rotherham players comes from us signing Washington whose garbage and our poor windows in signing forwards in general. 

But as @Caerphilly Ram has shown, the evidence suggests Warne is open to signing players he hasn’t worked with before. 

I for one, have previously made harsh remarks about Warne and his ‘good guy’ comments. Whilst on some points my opinion remains the same. Looking at our team spirit during the run in, there’s something to be said for signing nice people. 

Let’s see how the window goes/shapes up before making sly digs. We don’t have any restrictions so there’s no excuses for poor recruitment.

I think a lack of sufficient finance will prove to be a major restriction. 

46 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Assuming he is over his injury, I could see Rooney being retained off the back of a strong pre-season. I admit I may have my rose-tints on, but I'm convinced there's a proper footballer in there and if he can avoid injury, I can see him putting down a marker. That said, I absolutely agree that if any /all do fail to make next season's senior squad, then they really must be loaned out. A hunch more than anything, but I feel like one or two have already been treading water a little and need to be set a challenge to progress further, or not, as the case may be. 

I see Rooney as a useful squad player who can cover RB or CB, but I think that his strongest position will be DCM and I would like to see him given a chance there. He would be like a new signing after not playing for so long and could save us a few bob in strengthening that part of the team.