Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

You could almost look at the transfer fee as an after sale thank you for his loan from Cardiff. I think that we all agree that he was instrumental in last season's promotion and therefore for us to be in a position to make this kind of signing now. 

On last season's form, he could play a key part in our consolidation in the Championship and with it, the extra £10m revenue. An extra few hundred thousand on a proven player, who fits in perfectly doesn't seem that rash, when looked at in this way.

22 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

Saying something the Jacob Butterfield fares quite well in comparison with the other 2!

He wasn’t actually all that bad in his first season, got 8 goals in 40 games. He also was the reason we got Sam Winnall on loan wasn’t he? Apart from that he was absolutely horrendous.

19 minutes ago, ram59 said:

You could almost look at the transfer fee as an after sale thank you for his loan from Cardiff. I think that we all agree that he was instrumental in last season's promotion and therefore for us to be in a position to make this kind of signing now. 

On last season's form, he could play a key part in our consolidation in the Championship and with it, the extra £10m revenue. An extra few hundred thousand on a proven player, who fits in perfectly doesn't seem that rash, when looked at in this way.

Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric

If he helps to consolidate us or even better top 6, then it’s money well spent.

Are the people in this thread moaning about us (allegedly) bidding too much the same people who were moaning in the Thordarsson thread about us not paying enough to secure his services? 

The main difference here is we are chasing a player who we have had six months' experience of and know his aptitude, attitude and that he's a good fit to our club. 

After his loan this is the signing we all wanted, he was the missing piece that got us promoted, since Clowse took over we’ve been nothing but sensible, do people really think we aren’t carrying on in the same direction now by spending a small amount compared to what others are spending? We’re in the safest of hands with a proper businessman who will only run us in the right way! 

I’m sure I heard PW say just after his loan signing, that he had tracked/ been after Ebou for a long time. Previous transfer window with Rams and earlier with his previous club Rotterdam 🤔

Staff will know what this was likely to cost us and I’m guessing it’s ended up within our target parameters or we wouldn’t have completed.

can’t wait to watch Ebou again he’s our hod-carrier and every good Rams side I’ve ever watched has had a good one of those! 😊

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

Are the people in this thread moaning about us (allegedly) bidding too much the same people who were moaning in the Thordarsson thread about us not paying enough to secure his services? 

The main difference here is we are chasing a player who we have had six months' experience of and know his aptitude, attitude and that he's a good fit to our club. 

Moaning about us bidding too much or being concerned about it? Personally didn't comment at all on the other thread. 

Just find the whole blindly trusting the owner thing has gotten us in a mess in the first place. Yes I trust Clowes. But I trusted Mel and so did the vast majority on here. Similar comments were made at the time encouraging all spend.

Not sure I completely understand the backlash to what is understandable concerns. Appreciate I'm going against the grain here though. 

Glad to have signed Adams, good guy and good player, but I just don't agree with fans being so dismissive of reasonable concerns.

So, we are signing a player who will settle straight away and hit the ground running. And, we know how to get the best out of him.

If we were signing Victor Theoplonkins from Norway for 1.5M, most fans would be creaming themselves.

It doesn't matter one jot how much he costs. He got us promoted so his worth is high. End of.

Sometimes it's better to have a known than an unknown.

Adams arrived in January helping Derby win promotion, how much extra will the club make in the championship over 12 months?

Would we have gained promotion without Adams, my opinion is probably not, so if the fee is £650,000 then he his worth it.

7 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Adams arrived in January helping Derby win promotion, how much extra will the club make in the championship over 12 months?

Would we have gained promotion without Adams, my opinion is probably not, so if the fee is £650,000 then he his worth it.

He is worth about £4m in terms of how much more the club will benefit from going up.

Shoot me down but imo we would have probably scraped play offs at best without him.

Single handedly the most influential loan player in my 40 years supporting the club. Bobby D in 91 is close as is laddo from Milan in 2000. George T was brilliant but the team he played in would knock spots off the current team

Edited by Ram a lamb a ding dong

I think people are wide off the mark if they are complaining about Ebou's transfer fee. He was in the top 3 most important players last season, Mr Clowes was spot on when he said we could have won the league if Ebou had signed last summer. Completely changed the dynamic in midfield and we looked far more aggressive and eager to win the ball back, whereas having Hourihane in the same position was a complete waste of time. Ebou stopped midfield runners getting forward, this was our achilles heel in many home matches in the first half of the season. 

He's going to be so important for us. This isn't the same as when we spent £10 million on Johnson and Butterfield and they added zero value. Personally, I'd have paid £2-3 million for Ebou if it meant keeping us up.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I thought we were arguing about us paying too much for a player that we haven’t actually signed yet 🤷🏻‍♂️

28 but with 5 lungs like Ebou has - we’re getting a known quantity for at least 3 excellent years maybe even 4 before the inevitably decline due to age. 

Probably paid around the same as what we paid for Kenzo who is unknown quantity but has age on his side. 

If someone had offered 1 exciting prospect from the continent and Ebou all done and dusted for around £1.5m you’d have snapped their hand off surely? 

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

What a waste of money

During admin I once started to tot up the values of all those players we signed for millions who eventually left for nothing. Butterfield, Johnson, Blackman, Anya, Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon etc. I got to about £35 million and stopped counting. And that’s just the transfer fees and doesn’t include wages!! Then there are those we took a massive loss on like Bielik.

Small wonder we went bust.

50 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

That's a little warped, if you don't mind me saying.

We paid a loan fee.  He helped us get promotion... single handedly or otherwise.  THAT fee appears to have been an excellent deal, due to said promotion and subsequent increase in income... but we are under no obligation to bung Cardiff a few extra quid because it all went well. Cardiff City are not a conscientious and hard working waitress in a restaurant.  We don't need to consider tipping them!

The fee we are looking at now is for the future.  Therefore, we won't know if that proves to be "well worth it" until the future.

This situation really reminds me of when we took players on loan when I first started watching the rams.

Usually only a month.

Either an older player like Frank Stapleton or Burridge to be stop gaps or players the club were looking at to bring in permanently.

Loans have changed a lot since then.

Mainly farming younger players out to gain experience and add value .

The season long loans of mount Wilson and tomori (who was incredible) were double edged.

They were all fantastic but we lost out three best players for nothing and no promotion.

Ebou added needed horsepower to the midfield and proved his worth.

Cardiff thought he would be a valuable player although it's not worked for him there 

All being well with the confidence of a promotion and the love of the fans he can play his best football for us.

He has earned his chance to wear the Ram on his shirt