Where do you think we'll finish this season?

56 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Your first season following the Rams is it?

Oh I’m fully expecting the bed to be absolutely caked in s*** before long, don’t worry.

With the fixtures remaining we should really not even have to worry going in to the final day, however I don’t believe we have ever once done things simply and I already know it’ll go down to the last few minutes of the last day.

From this point on, I am fully convinced it will go as most feared... to the last kick! 

Yes, we'll start the day as technical favourites for second place. 
We'll start the day in the driving seat... of the car in front of the pack... but with our hazard lights on, and a clear lane to our right, where overtaking would not be impossible!
Not sure a DSG gearbox will suffice, and we may have to revert to a manual gearbox... clutch and all... oh... and some driving gloves!

# it's gonna get scary
# hold on tight
# mind that damn fox, for god sake
# ooh look... alpacas
# i need to stop forrapiss
#etc

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

We "only" had to beat the Wendies at home if you recall to avoid dropping into this league....

Didn't we get the draw, which was sufficient, as a Cardiff win sent Paul Warne's Rotherham down at our expense?

We got relegated at QPR didn't we, before jumping around at Blackpool? 🤷‍♂️

2nd will be ours 🐏

Barnsley play twice before our next game, with Bolton playing once. Worst case is just 2 points seperating all three sides after playing 42 games a piece, and Peterborough remaining 8 points behind us (with 2 games in hand).

Kicking off their game at the same time as us, Peterborough will have 6 games in 17 days, finishing off with Bolton on the last day. I can't see them maintaining pace despite having an easy set of games on paper. I think it'll result in Bolton winning their fixture, especially as Peterborough can use the game to rest key players ahead of the Playoffs.

Even if we win just 2 of our final 4 games, we end up with 88 points. If we can't acheive that, then we don't deserve promotion.. Peterborough or Barnsley would therefore have to win at least 5 of their final 6 games to finish above us. I have doubts Peterbrough will even achieve 5 wins for the reason mentioned above. 2 wins and a draw for us (should still be easy to achieve) would mean Barnsley need at least 16 points to pass us (due to our superior GD). Again it feels unlikely they'll be able to pass us.

It's between us an Bolton. They face Portsmouth in 2 games time. A game Portsmouth will be more than happy to take a draw from. At that point, it'll most likely keep them 9 points ahead of Bolton with just 3 games remaining, with them needing just 1 more win to clinch the title (assuming they beat beat Shrewsbury on Saturday).
Bolton won't be able to slip up in any other games. If they do, it means we're back to only needing 7 points to finish above them.

For us to take top spot, we would have to win all 4 and hope the best Portsmouth do is 2 wins and a draw from their 5 games. Since they've only lost 4 all season, losing 2 more in their final 5 games is unlikely - they do have Bolton, Barnsley and Lincoln to play, so not impossible. I think they'll find a way to snatch enough points to hold on to top spot.

30 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Didn't we get the draw, which was sufficient, as a Cardiff win sent Paul Warne's Rotherham down at our expense?

We got relegated at QPR didn't we, before jumping around at Blackpool? 🤷‍♂️

Yes but we had to rely on Cardiff beating Rotherham as the draw wasn't enough for us independently to avoid relegation 

3 hours ago, jono said:

I take your point; 👍 though from a motivational point of view I’d really hope the players all have enough now to carry themselves through considering the battles they’ve fought and the aroma of tangible success that might now be coming from the kitchen such that they can almost sense it if not touch it. 

Fair comment although I don’t think motivation is something you can instil and then leave. I reckon it’s a constant demand on a manager’s capabilities (in pretty much all walks of life). 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes but we had to rely on Cardiff beating Rotherham as the draw wasn't enough for us independently to avoid relegation 

Ah!  So we didn't "Only have to beat the Wendies at home to avoid dropping into this league"?

Thought so!  😉👍

*Bookmark this... it's a rarity!  😁

5 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Just trawled all that for 20mins, just to find his "prediction"...

"I really hope so"
and
"... But they’ve got winnable fixtures that you hope would see them over the line. Particularly when Barnsley and Bolton both need to play Pompey as well. One of them is gonna have to drop points.  So I think Derby will fancy themselves and I’m very hopeful they’re gonna get over the line.”

That's some feckin clickbait, that!  🤣

Still convinced about 2nd place.

The players will have had 8 days to rest & prep for post-FA Trophy final Wycombe on the 10th whereas Bolton have to win away to Bristol Rovers on the 6th, then beat Portsmouth on the 13th. That schedule difference is crucial right now. Two defeats and they're out of contention.

Peterborough have 2 games to make up, plus the final. They're going to be knackered.

We finish with Cambridge and Carlisle, the former may well be safe and have nothing to play for, the latter may have been relegated already. So many little things have fallen in our favour.

38 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Still convinced about 2nd place.

The players will have had 8 days to rest & prep for post-FA Trophy final Wycombe on the 10th whereas Bolton have to win away to Bristol Rovers on the 6th, then beat Portsmouth on the 13th. That schedule difference is crucial right now. Two defeats and they're out of contention.

Peterborough have 2 games to make up, plus the final. They're going to be knackered.

We finish with Cambridge and Carlisle, the former may well be safe and have nothing to play for, the latter may have been relegated already. So many little things have fallen in our favour.

These are exactly the things that make me incredibly worried.

I really really really want to see us do it.

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

Oh I’m fully expecting the bed to be absolutely caked in s*** before long, don’t worry.

With the fixtures remaining we should really not even have to worry going in to the final day, however I don’t believe we have ever once done things simply and I already know it’ll go down to the last few minutes of the last day.

Wouldn’t want you to be upset when we’re losing to Carlisle at half-time on the last day is all mate, good to hear you know what’s coming

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just trawled all that for 20mins, just to find his "prediction"...

"I really hope so"
and
"... But they’ve got winnable fixtures that you hope would see them over the line. Particularly when Barnsley and Bolton both need to play Pompey as well. One of them is gonna have to drop points.  So I think Derby will fancy themselves and I’m very hopeful they’re gonna get over the line.”

That's some feckin clickbait, that!  🤣

I've guess everyone has their own reading speed.

On 03/04/2024 at 13:55, CBRammette said:

A colleague said to me "you're up now arent you" this morning - then treated him to a long lesson on the years of Derby disappointment and blowing it at the last moment. Feel he will never mention football to me again 😂

Please Derby 🤞🤞🤞

I had a similar chat with a mate last night.  I explained how we couldn’t even win the league easily back in ‘72 and had to wait for others to finish after we’d played all our games. If there’s a hard way, The Rams will find it!!