Holding midfielder a must as is another striker.

Curtains

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe he'll play 3 - 4 - 3 and we'll see a different midfield?

Well to my knowledge that’s his preferred system but he’s never really stuck with it at Derby due to fan’s moaning about it if it goes wrong 

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if you're watching the same game as me.

Hourihane spends most of the match alongside our centre backs.

This is just not true - see whoscored stats or just imagine how he scored his recent goals or assists.

Most of thet ime our centre backs are very deep  - too far back and thats one of our problems.

Hourihane is doing what Warne tells him.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Well to my knowledge that’s his preferred system but he’s never really stuck with it at Derby due to fan’s moaning about it if it goes wrong 

Come on Curtains....you don't believe Warne picks his side based on likely fan reaction?

That's preposterous......

For a start, he'd never be able to please everyone,so he may as well please himself 😉

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Come on Curtains....you don't believe Warne picks his side based on likely fan reaction?

That's preposterous......

For a start, he'd never be able to please everyone,so he may as well please himself 😉

Oh and here’s me thinking Warne does bother what Derby fans think.  
He is not impervious to criticism is he !

11 minutes ago, DRBee said:

This is just not true - see whoscored stats or just imagine how he scored his recent goals or assists.

Most of thet ime our centre backs are very deep  - too far back and thats one of our problems.

I don't need to look at whoscored stats thank you, I go to the matches.

Lost count of the times I complained about Hourihane walking between our 2 centre backs with a hand in the air telling everyone to slow down and playing pointless 5 yard passes.

During our good run he was actually getting around the pitch a bit more but he's gone back to being a complete passenger. 

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course I took it literally, how else was it supposed to be taken?

As has been countered by quotes saying he doesnt want to lose Max Bird and he wants his midfielders to be braver, and also by the fact that he signed Embleton and Fornah, saying he isn't interested in midfield doesn't seem to be true.

Like someone who understands how humans being speak, understands what the word paraphrasing means and like someone who actually wanted to discuss the topic at hand in a civilised manner, rather than like someone who wants to hold everyone to weirdly exacting standards like you're a prosecutor grilling a witness and need to find a way of proving them wrong?

Essentially it boils down to the original post saying "he's said so" instead of "he's said as much", which naturally you've jumped on. 

All the context has been explained to you, yet you're still banging on about midfielders he's using in an advanced / attacking role.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

14 hours ago, Curtains said:

I’d give him game time but it’s a risk as he’s unproven at League 1 level.  He was on the bench on Saturday 

Will hughes was unproven in the championship and smashed it, age doesnt matter if your good enough, then your good enough. People always say bird is a dm? I achually think hes better going forward and think he is wasted in our team because he goes missing too much in that role saturday shown us that, one in more of a attacking role he played alot better

3 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Will hughes was unproven in the championship and smashed it, age doesnt matter if your good enough, then your good enough. People always say bird is a dm? I achually think hes better going forward and think he is wasted in our team because he goes missing too much in that role saturday shown us that, one in more of a attacking role he played alot better

I’ve watched Robinson and as I say he’s a good lad maybe off the bench to start with .

Will Hughes was a talent no doubt about it. 

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Mr Pedant strikes again. 😄 

Tell me how Warne plays the midfielders we already have.

Asking you to cite your sources to back up your unsubstantiated claims isn't pedantic, it's the bare minimum you need to do when making outlandish claims.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

No, you are the one disagreeing with me - prove me wrong. Warne cares little for midfield and hasn't mentioned signing a holding mid for sure.

Burden of proof is on the one making the claim. Otherwise Hitchens' Razor applies: 'That can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence'.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Based on Transfermarkt, his most favoured formation during his managerial career is 433 (or variations of it), with 442 2nd.

433 - 103 times
442 - 80
343 - 76
4231 - 59
352 - 44
3412 - 13

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on Transfermarkt, his most favoured formation during his managerial career is 433 (or variations of it), with 442 2nd.

433 - 103 times
442 - 80
343 - 76
4231 - 59
352 - 44
3412 - 13

Very good research and I stand corrected as 4 at back 242 times 

3 at the back 133 times

Edited by Curtains
Altered

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

This is an interesting point. From a good vantage point high in the South Stand on Saturday I spent a bit of time focusing solely on Max Bird's positioning (let's face it, there wasn't much else of interest going on). 

There were a few times when, in possession coming from the back, the most blatantly obvious thing to do was for Bird to drop into the huge vacant space in midfield to receive the ball yet he deliberately stayed, or even moved into, a position further wide; further away from his midfield partner, into an area where there were other players, and leaving this hole in the middle of the park.

I couldn't work out why the first time but then after watching him for a bit longer this exact thought occurred to me - he's not using his intuition or natural footballing brain/ability here, he looks like he's following strict orders, even if his movement doesn't seem (to me, anyway) to make much sense. 

2 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Like someone who understands how humans being speak, understands what the word paraphrasing means and like someone who actually wanted to discuss the topic at hand in a civilised manner, rather than like someone who wants to hold everyone to weirdly exacting standards like you're a prosecutor grilling a witness and need to find a way of proving them wrong?

Essentially it boils down to the original post saying "he's said so" instead of "he's said as much", which naturally you've jumped on. 

All the context has been explained to you, yet you're still banging on about midfielders he's using in an advanced / attacking role.

You've done a good job trying to explain the wider context on several posts. Nothing about the way we play, in and out of possession, can surely make anyone think Warne believes the midfield to be a key area of the team.

Add this to things Warne has said after (at least) a couple of games (it might be more, I don't listen to too many of his interviews) where he refers to only wanting the midfielders to take a couple of touches before moving it on, to actively avoiding the midfield area in certain games.

Add this to what we see with our own eyes when teams just run through our middle. Where does any of that tell you he thinks the midfield area is critical to what he wants to achieve? 

That's not to say he doesn't value Bird/Hourihane, doesn't see a role for them or wants them to leave or anything like that. If he wanted a holding midfielder, or indeed another midfielder, I presume he would have said so by now, instead of just focusing on the wide areas and a striker.

For what it's worth, if he wanted to change the midfield dynamic he has Fornah, Sibley and Thompson, all of whom could help affect change in there regards setup, style and tactics, but clearly he doesn't, and that's fine, he's the manager and its his choice. He's clearly happy with what he's got and how he's deploying them.

I don't see any point adding to the midfield if, as it seems, nothing will change. It'll just be another player bought and wasted. 

Warne doesn't want a holding DM, he'd judge it to be a waste of a player. Maybe he'd use a box-to-box DM, in the mould of Kante, but there aren't too many of them around.

The midfield of Bird, Thompson, and Fornah looked much better to me than Bird/Hourihane. If Thommo & Fornah snap and bustle around while Bird plays in a more attacking role, which he's more suited to. I think it would firm us up. Although we'd then have to rely on Bradley in a back three...

1 minute ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Warne doesn't want a holding DM, he'd judge it to be a waste of a player. Maybe he'd use a box-to-box DM, in the mould of Kante, but there aren't too many of them around.

The midfield of Bird, Thompson, and Fornah looked much better to me than Bird/Hourihane. If Thommo & Fornah snap and bustle around while Bird plays in a more attacking role, which he's more suited to. I think it would firm us up. Although we'd then have to rely on Bradley in a back three...

Or 4-3-3, obviously, with Bradley on the bench.

4 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

There is no context to attributing quotes to someone who has not said what was being attributed to him.

I think you're confusing paraphrasing and hyperbole.

I'm not banging on about anything. Just pointing out that 'he is interested in a midfield' is just yet another made up thing to attack the manager with and can be filed along with:-

'Warneball'

'Nobody wants to play for him'

'He's a PE teacher'

'He wouldn't keep us in the Championship'

18 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Warne really didn’t bring Washington in ‘in desperation’. He bought him previously for Rovrum and he bought him again because he obviously rates him. He was his striker pick. Frankly he was, and always will be, a very poor choice.

But he’s a very fine character 

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There is no context to attributing quotes to someone who has not said what was being attributed to him.

I think you're confusing paraphrasing and hyperbole.

I'm not banging on about anything. Just pointing out that 'he is interested in a midfield' is just yet another made up thing to attack the manager with and can be filed along with:-

'Warneball'

'Nobody wants to play for him'

'He's a PE teacher'

'He wouldn't keep us in the Championship'

Nobody attributed a quote to him, unless you can point me to the post where someone has claimed Warne has actually used the phrase "I'm not interested in midfield".

At worst what's happened in this instance is the use of conjecture, not hyperbole. The evidence may be incomplete, but if you take what he did say, correlate it with his actions and study how the team performas then it's hardly the world's mmost 'out there' conclusion to come to.

And yes, you very much were banging on about it, repeating the same question multiple times to prove a point that nobody had actually argued against.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

18 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long have we been wanting one? Warne isn't interested in midfield, he's said so.

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Nobody attributed a quote to him, unless you can point me to the post where someone has claimed Warne has actually used the phrase "I'm not interested in midfield".

At worst what's happened in this instance is the use of conjecture, not hyperbole.

And yes, you very much were banging on about it, repeating the same question multiple times to prove a point that nobody had actually argued against.

You keep on defending people for making theoretical things up to bash with Warne, I'll keep on calling them out 👍

3 hours ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

He improved when he played deeper with Tommo and Fornah in front of him.