No midfield control again…

LN747

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Thought Max had a good game today , especially 2nd half , good goal too, don’t understand all this negativity towards him

Agree second half Max Bird was much better, and what a goal, lets get behind the team, and support them, all this negative is no good for players , managers and fans, we all want the same thing promotion, so lets drive the team on to the championship. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

It would take an absolute idiot to keep watching our lack of control and continue to play 2 in the middle. 

I don’t believe Warne is an idiot - he’s been quite successful in this division so why on Earth is he persevering with this rubbish idea? 

You’ve got arguably 2 of the most technical midfielders in the division and they look awful. They’re not awful players but they’re being made to look bad by being crammed into a system that doesn’t suit them. 

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

It would take an absolute idiot to keep watching our lack of control and continue to play 2 in the middle. 

I don’t believe Warne is an idiot - he’s been quite successful in this division so why on Earth is he persevering with this rubbish idea? 

You’ve got arguably 2 of the most technical midfielders in the division and they look awful. They’re not awful players but they’re being made to look bad by being crammed into a system that doesn’t suit them. 

I agree with your second point and think it’s an interesting conundrum.
Warne’s Rotherham teams had some ok midfielders right? Crooks, Barlaser, Wing, Wiles etc who must have played their part in the relative success Rotherham had.

So is it a case of square pegs in round holes? Not trusting the options beyond Hourihane and Bird? Not having the options due to fitness issues? There has to be some logic behind Warne’s perseverance with it for his Derby team that we’re not privy to as fans, beyond the accusations of him being clueless etc. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

So is it a case of square pegs in round holes? Not trusting the options beyond Hourihane and Bird? Not having the options due to fitness issues? There has to be some logic behind Warne’s perseverance with it for his Derby team that we’re not privy to as fans, beyond the accusations of him being clueless etc. 

I think he's just being a bit stubborn to be honest. We did see a dramatic difference for changing to MF3 with legs and it's not the first time. If I had to level criticism, that'd be it. Even with the depleted defence, I think with a 4-3-3 we'd just outscore most teams anyway.

Fingers crossed that lesson has been learned now, as if we set up with a 2 in midfield again next week, some on here will be exploding their colostomy bags in incandescent rage .

I like strawberries and I like tomatoes, they are both classed as fruits but I wouldn’t put them together in a fruit salad. Hourihane and Bird are both good players but perhaps the issue is they simply do not complement each other.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

34 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think he's just being a bit stubborn to be honest. We did see a dramatic difference for changing to MF3 with legs and it's not the first time. If I had to level criticism, that'd be it. Even with the depleted defence, I think with a 4-3-3 we'd just outscore most teams anyway.

Fingers crossed that lesson has been learned now, as if we set up with a 2 in midfield again next week, some on here will be exploding their colostomy bags in incandescent rage .

To be fair, if Warne goes for the same line up/tactics as the reading game and yesterdays first half, I would fully understand our fans being puce with rage. 

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Quite successful.....3 promotions from this division.

What would you classify as very successful.

Or extremely successful. 

13 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

To be fair, if Warne goes for the same line up/tactics as the reading game and yesterdays first half, I would fully understand our fans being puce with rage. 

To be honest, any kind of rage over a game of footy is properly melodramatic, but I do take your point. Some on here are fully triggered by the man's syntax, so it goes without saying that something that actually warrants criticism, will most certainly attract it.

53 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Or extremely successful. 

Not having been relegated back to the division again to have to get promoted 3 times from it.

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Not having been relegated back to the division again to have to get promoted 3 times from it.

No in the context of 3 back to back promotions from this division?

If this is quite successful what's very or extremely successful and which other manager(s) has obtained these credentials?

59 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Or extremely successful. 

Making the club - Rotherham - more able to compete at a higher level. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

No in the context of 3 back to back promotions from this division?

If this is quite successful what's very or extremely successful and which other manager(s) has obtained these credentials?

Sorry, I'm old fashioned and don't count relegation as successful.

Credit to Warne for having a good promotion record at this level, but a better manager wouldn't have needed to.

Just now, oodledoodle said:

Sorry, I'm old fashioned and don't count relegation as successful.

Credit to Warne for having a good promotion record at this level, but a better manager wouldn't have needed to.

Am sure I could hear some faint praise of Warne through those gritted teeth...

I remember the halcyon days under Colin Addison's stewardship, for, luckily, a short period in the early 1980s. It was the last days of the wonderful Roy McFarland who had Alan Ramage at his side (he had the video shop on Ashbourne Road and was a mean fast bowler for Yorkshire), a strike force of Alan Biley (looked like Rod Stewart and often played like him) and Dave Swindlehurst (his wife got run out of town for dodgy lotteries, having the office next to me, next office up was the strip-o-gram girls). There was Hector's return and the [un]dependable Mick Coop marshalling the defence like the old pro he was. Kevin Wilson joined in, not to forget Steve Buckley and the other Powell, Barry. Try as many might, forgetting football prodigy Jonathan Clark still is impossible, the masterclass in midfield we were meant to witness.

The tactic back then was to give the ball to Steve Powell who would, no matter where he received it, get it over to Paul Emson on the left. He would bomb down the wing and that was it. One tactic fits all, the crosses would go anywhere and did, those in the crowd behind the goal were in danger. Thirty years later, how football has changed. Now the whole team do that, get the ball over to Mendez-Laing and off you go, do something. Now duplicated with Blackett-Taylor, two to do something. Collins to wait patiently, and wait, and wait.

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Are you implying that the posters who are most critical are older/disabled in some way? 

I see no evidence of that, either on here, or at matches.

In fact at Reading, it was the younger fans giving out all the hand gestures at Warne and the team at full time. Luckily, I didn't hear any booing there. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Are you implying that the posters who are most critical are older/disabled in some way? 

I see no evidence of that, either on here, or at matches.

In fact at Reading, it was the younger fans giving out all the hand gestures at Warne and the team at full time. Luckily, I didn't hear any booing there. 

No I'm not, sorry, just being flippant. I'm not surprised about the 'noisiest' fans either. We would have been back in our youth too, I suspect. I do think the booing thing is a bit silly though, but it's a personal thing I guess. 

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Or extremely successful. 

I say quite successful. You could say ‘very successful’ I would reserve extremely successful for someone who manages to build a team that doesn’t come back down like the titanic? 

anyway that was a small point in my overall post. Why is he persevering with 2 in mid when it’s clear we’re losing the battle ?