Derby v Burton Albion: Ratings

Ellafella

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that'sthe baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

31Vickers

2Wilson

35Nelson

6Cashin

20Elder

17Sibley

11Méndez-Laing

8Bird

4Hourihane

7Barkhuizen

5Bradley

19John-Jules

16Thompson

9Collins

ATM 

31Vickers - 5  if 6 is average then he gets a 5 as he was a bit shaky and didn’t seem to instil any confidence in the defence. 

2Wilson - 8 MOTM Defensively OK which was his actual job, but a constant threat up front and got us off our seat more than anyone else. Kept going and nullified their wing threat as they were always worried about him.  

35Nelson - 7  coped well with everything. Unlucky with the slight deflection for the first goal. 

6Cashin - 7 Good game generally but was one of those guilty of starting to lumping it forward when trying to get the winner. 

20Elder - 4 Was struggling with his distribution even before the massive error for the second. Defensively OK When I’ve seen him before and was similar last night, but that error as the last man was madness. 

17Sibley - 6 Average. However, he’s one of the only attacking threats from the bench and we played him at left back. 

11Méndez-Laing - 6 Assist for the goal. Had a 1-1 in the first half he could have done better with and really tired towards the end but kept going. 

8Bird - 7 Thought he had a solid game. 

4Hourihane 6 - Would have been a 5 before his goal. Gave the ball away on simple passes, didn’t beat the first man or ballooned it over the back post with most of his set pieces or crosses then comes up with a lovely winner. 

7Barkhuizen - 6 Got man of the match for a goal and an assist which gets his score up as that got us the points. But other than that he was an invisible part of our front 3. 

5Bradley - 6 Average 

19John-Jules - 6 Average 

16Thompson - 7 Average general play but worked his socks off closing down and bringing some energy when we were starting to rock a bit. 

9Collins - 7 Work rate was spot on as always and a great header for the second.  

26 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that'sthe baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

31Vickers 5.5

2Wilson 7

35Nelson 6.5

6Cashin 7

20Elder 5

17Sibley 5.5

11Méndez-Laing 6.5

8Bird 7

4Hourihane 6.5

7Barkhuizen 6.5

5Bradley 6

19John-Jules 6

16Thompson 6.5

9Collins 7

ATG

31Vickers...5.5.....not a lot to do but didn't look confident doing it. Wildsmith has a bit of Schmeichel about him - makes mistakes but body language is always rock solid. I'd be tempted to swap back on Sat if I were Warne.

2Wilson.....7.5.....bit of a cheat code at RB against a weak team. Loads of decent crosses and always trying to be positive.

35Nelson.....8.....bit of a league 1 Virgil van Dyke now....he knows he's going to win everything, forwards know he's going to win everything and he wins everything. Half point off for backing off on their first goal.

6Cashin......7.5.....excellent again 

20Elder......3.5......half point for the cross on the second goal. Stray passes, vertical headers, lamentable defending and a reluctance to cross ( 2 last night compared to how many from Wilson?) I genuinely hope he comes good, and second half v Posh gives some hope but expect Sibley to play on Saturday

17Sibley.....6.5....added much needed composure at LB. Expect him to play there on Sat.

11Méndez-Laing......6.5.....did loads of really really good stuff and was overall excellent -  but full point off for doing lollipops in our half for their first goal. Whether it was a foul or not, it was a bit of unnecessary flashiness in a bad area and complete momentum changer

8Bird.........7.....nothing flash but worked very hard in what was often a 4-2-4 formation. Quietly decent.

4Hourihane.....7.......loads of examples of excellent quality. Bit of a white knuckle ride playing him in 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 but I'm very glad he plays for us and not a L1 rival. Doesn't hide - proper quarterback performance in last 25 when they dropped back 

7Barkhuizen.....7.5......can't believe what I've read on the matchday thread. Other than scoring the first, making the second (with 2 involvements) and winning the ball back for our third what did he contribute?  Nelson was my MOTM but Sky love goal involvements.

5Bradley......6

19John-Jules....5.5....clearly talented and made some very useful contributions but when I see JC sprinting past him to get on the end of something in the box in the second half then I see someone who hasn't made it and isn't busting a gut to make it. The Burton sub looked much hungrier.

16Thompson.....6

9Collins.......7.5.....another very good performance. Benefits from having players around him rather than being lone striker. Arguably our single most important player at the moment. 

31Vickers - 4.5 - below average, would love to hear Warne's reasons for dropping Wildsmith, didnt command any presence, punching balls away that should be caught, and generally not communicating with the two CBs

2Wilson - 8 - Man of the Match, constant threat up front despite playing in defence, didnt stop for the full 90+

35Nelson - 7 - Solid, no fault for the two goals

6Cashin - 7 - Solid, no fault for the two goals

20Elder - 5 - felt sorry for him with his mistake as thought he'd played okay up until that point, but you cannot do that

17Sibley - 6 - average

11Méndez-Laing - 7 - fantastic assist for the goal, but tired throughout

8Bird - 7 - grew into the game

4Hourihane - 7 - somewhat quiet game, but always a threat, he's the man you want on the edge of the box

7Barkhuizen - 7 - was going to give an average of 6, but he got a goal and an assist, he's the man that's in the right place at the right time, and sometimes that's all you need

5Bradley - 6 - average

19John-Jules - 5.5 - really like the bloke and there are some touches and ideas of magic, but in my opinion, looked a little lost playing an unfamiliar? role (on the wing / behind the 9)

16Thompson - 7 - just what you need when chasing a game, a proper ratty performance, ran his socks off and did what he could

9Collins - 7.5 - work rate, as always, was top, took his goal well, on another day he gets a few more

31Vickers 6.0 - Sorry, but I still don't think Joe should have been dropped. Josh is a really nice lad and a decent stopper, but Joe is the #1 at this club and get fingertips to stuff other keepers at this level don't.

2Wilson 7.0 - I love this lad. Runs hard all game, always wants to take his man on, never goes missing and leaves it all on the pitch. He's a cracking signing and he'll do for the Championship too.

35Nelson - 6.5 - Another solid game, but I do think he misses the steadying influence of Nyambe a little, though in fairness, I think that's true of the defence in general.

6Cashin - 7.5 - The lad with the world at his feet, or at very least a very good career ahead of him, yet here he is, still at Derby, still grafting, still working for the team. 

20Elder - 6.0 - Understandably rusty and was left high and dry for the second goal, but there's a player in there and I don't understand the need some have to jump all over the lad's s*** when he barely had any football. Way too early to judge, but some love to go early, don't they! 

17Sibley - 6.0 - Not sure what to say about Sibbo these days. He's not, it would appear, ever going to be used where he needs to play, but the team is prospering all the same. I'd love to keep him as I know what he can do, but if he doesn't fit now, will he ever while PW is coach?

11Méndez-Laing - 8.0 - I'm now quite used to seeing him charging up our right flank, going two for everybody else's one. The lad just looks so happy in himself right now and the fact that is reflected in his form is a credit to both Warne and Nate himself.

8Bird - 7.0 - More than any other player in the side, Max convinces me that some fans don't have a fookin scooby. Solid again, despite being outnumbered in MF.

4Hourihane - 7.5 - Another who gets his pelters, but for me, his consistency is improving all the time. We're now seeing more decent run-outs than not and while you could argue that's what we should expect, it's pretty welcome in Casa 86 all the same.

7Barkhuizen - 8.5 MOTM - GTFI there Tommy boy. Been on your case a bit this season and you've only gone and made me look a right mug. This lad looks like he's benefitting from more game time and is starting to hit his straps in no uncertain terms. He was excellent last night. Fair play to Warne again.

5Bradley - 7.0 - Given him a 7 as nobody slagged him off last night so he must have been almost perfect.

19John-Jules - 7.5 - Showed really good awareness of players around him with some deft touches, even with the man mountain that is Burton's Sweeney halfway up his jacksie. Another player coming in for some stick, but we'd not have won the game without him. I'm convinced there's a deal more to come. 

16Thompson - 7.0 - Brought his typical terrier-like attitude to the game and helped address the imbalance in midfield. He's a talented lad and his time will come sooner, rather than later.

9Collins - 8.0 - 17 goals. 17!! Did I mention he's got 17 goals.

WarneWatch
Again I think he got it mostly right. Folk, including myself, have highlighted the midfield imbalance, but we were 2-0 up and in cruise control before we fell asleep, so it wasn't that awful. Could we have responded quicker to changes they made? Perhaps, but the changes Warne did make helped swing the tide back in our favour and I think and hope that he is proud of what he's achieving, as after a shaky start, he's turned us into a team that can be very hard to beat.

Nice to see some realistic ratings, given some of the standard OTT reactions to last night, a game we clearly deserved to win given the 6 or 7 big chances we created compared to their 2!

31Vickers 5

2Wilson 7

35Nelson 7

6Cashin 7

20Elder 5

17Sibley 6

11Méndez-Laing 7

8Bird 7

4Hourihane 6.5

7Barkhuizen 7.5

5Bradley 6

19John-Jules 6

16Thompson 6

9Collins 6.5

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Watched on TV

31Vickers 5

2Wilson 6

35Nelson 6

6Cashin 7 MOM

20Elder 4

17Sibley 5

11Méndez-Laing 6

8Bird 5

4Hourihane 6

7Barkhuizen 7

5Bradley N/A

19John-Jules 5

16Thompson 5

9Collins 6

Odd one last night, think there's a few who saw things quite differently so guess we will see what the trends come out as. 

ATG

31Vickers - 5 - Only thing he does better than Wildsmith is throwing it. Maybe he can improve as Wildsmith was shaky his first month or so last season, but I'm not seeing it right now.

2Wilson - 8 - Constant threat. Would say consistent end product will make a huge step but if he did that, he would be in the Premier League

35Nelson - 7.5 - Thought he was brilliant, won everything

6Cashin - 7 - Good performance. The goals had nothing to do with either centre back

20Elder - 3 - All over the place, compounded with a tragic, comedic error

17Sibley - 6 - out of position but could attack more given how the game was going

11Méndez-Laing - 6.5 - One of his poorer performances, but remained a threat in his presence and the assist was brilliant

8Bird - 7 - Really stepped up at times and kept us going

4Hourihane - 6 - Bailed us out, but not entirely sure it's worth the rest of his performances consistently

7Barkhuizen - 6.5 - Struggled to find a white shirt before he scored, but, he did score and get an assist

5Bradley - 6 - No time

19John-Jules - 6 - Seen some saying he was poor, I don't really think he was. He cut a frustrated figure numerous times first half when he moved to get the ball to feet and we went slowly and safely wide. Use him, he's capable.

16Thompson - 6 - Limited time

9Collins - 6.5 - Good header

Edited by Srg

41 minutes ago, Waghorny said:

31Vickers - 4.5 - below average, would love to hear Warne's reasons for dropping Wildsmith, didnt command any presence, punching balls away that should be caught, and generally not communicating with the two CBs

2Wilson - 8 - Man of the Match, constant threat up front despite playing in defence, didnt stop for the full 90+

35Nelson - 7 - Solid, no fault for the two goals

6Cashin - 7 - Solid, no fault for the two goals

20Elder - 5 - felt sorry for him with his mistake as thought he'd played okay up until that point, but you cannot do that

17Sibley - 6 - average

11Méndez-Laing - 7 - fantastic assist for the goal, but tired throughout

8Bird - 7 - grew into the game

4Hourihane - 7 - somewhat quiet game, but always a threat, he's the man you want on the edge of the box

7Barkhuizen - 7 - was going to give an average of 6, but he got a goal and an assist, he's the man that's in the right place at the right time, and sometimes that's all you need

5Bradley - 6 - average

19John-Jules - 5.5 - really like the bloke and there are some touches and ideas of magic, but in my opinion, looked a little lost playing an unfamiliar? role (on the wing / behind the 9)

16Thompson - 7 - just what you need when chasing a game, a proper ratty performance, ran his socks off and did what he could

9Collins - 7.5 - work rate, as always, was top, took his goal well, on another day he gets a few more

So Bradders was average for the 3 minutes or so he was on 🤣

31Vickers 5

2Wilson 7

35Nelson 7

6Cashin 7

20Elder 4 not just for the goal issue just didnt seem comfortable at all. Hopefully just needs more game time

17Sibley 6

11Méndez-Laing 7

8Bird 7

4Hourihane 7

7Barkhuizen 7

5Bradley 6

19John-Jules 5

16Thompson 7 changed energy

9Collins 7

TV

31Vickers 5.5

2Wilson 7

35Nelson 7

6Cashin 7

20Elder 4.5

17Sibley 6

11Méndez-Laing 7

8Bird 6.5

4Hourihane 6.5

7Barkhuizen 7

5Bradley 6

19John-Jules 5.5

16Thompson 5.5

9Collins 6.5

Seems a bit mean to have 7 as a highest mark but the goals punctuated a scratchy performance.

As a team we deserved a seven for getting out of the hole we dug for ourselves but we’ll have to be better on Saturday.

TV

31Vickers - 5 - looked a bit shaky, felt he could have caught a couple of the crosses he punched away, which could be a sign of a lack of confidence

2Wilson - 6 - was able to get up the pitch, but lacked end product 

35Nelson - 7 - looked solid all game and his double tackle in the first half was one of my highlights of the game

6Cashin - 7.5 - my motm, seemed to win everything in the air, again looked solid. I was really impressed with his performance

20Elder - 6 - I was thinking he was having a decent game until the second Burton goal. He hadn’t done too much, but hadn’t done much wrong up to the equaliser.

17Sibley - 6 - Just average. Not much more, not much less

11Méndez-Laing - 7 - like most games he looked good going forward and was a fantastic pass for Barkhuizen’s goal.

8Bird - 6.5 - above average game imo. As far as I can remember he didn’t lose the ball too often, but maybe didn’t have as many progressive passes as he could have had.

4Hourihane - 6.5 - was involved in the game without making too much of an impact, but he took his goal very well. I wish at times he would display this quality of end product more, as he can become anonymous at times in other games.

7Barkhuizen - 6.5 - got into scoring positions and put one of the chances away

5Bradley - 6 - average

19John-Jules - 6 - average not too much to say on him

16Thompson - 6 - again didn’t make too much of an impact of the bench, but got around the pitch well

9Collins - 6.5 - took his goal well, worked hard. However I’m convinced that by having another player alongside him would get more out of him

ATG

31Vickers. 5.  

2Wilson. 7.5

35Nelson 7.5 (lost half a mark for backing off too far for their first)

6Cashin. 7.5

20Elder. 4.  

17Sibley. 7

11Méndez-Laing 8

8Bird. 7.5

4Hourihane. 7

7Barkhuizen. 6.  

5Bradley. 6

19John-Jules. 5. 

16Thompson. 6

9Collins. 7.5

31Vickers. 6 

2Wilson. 7

35Nelson 7

6Cashin. 7

20Elder. 6  

17Sibley. 6

11Méndez-Laing 7

8Bird. 6

4Hourihane. 6

7Barkhuizen. 6.  

5Bradley. 6

19John-Jules. 6 

16Thompson. 6

9Collins. 6 (If Collins could control the ball and not snatch at chances on the ground, we probably couldn't afford him).

31Vickers - 5 looks shaky at best, could be rustiness mind but I’d have Joe back in nets 

2Wilson - 6.5 looked decent yesterday but he’s definitely better at rwb or right wing 

35Nelson - 7.5 was solid as always, some great tackles and not much he could do with either goals 

6Cashin - 7.5 also solid yesterday, wasn’t helped by two attack minded fullbacks. 

20Elder - 6 had a good first half and had 2 bad moments in the second but don’t think he was as bad as people are saying. 

17Sibley - 5.5 poor decision making in the final third. The boy loves to shoot. 

11Méndez-Laing - 7.5 was great yesterday again. Some brilliant carries and his assist was top class. 

8Bird - 7 was good yesterday. 

4Hourihane - 7.5 was also good yesterday and took his goal well. 

7Barkhuizen - 8 did well to get on the end of his goal and did great to assist Collo. Works hard aswell my MOTM 

5Bradley - 6 N/A

19John-Jules - 6.5 some nice touches that I think go unnoticed at times. Did great for barks goal.

16Thompson - 6 worked very hard 

9Collins - 7 worked like a dog all game as always and scored again. No complaints.