Eíran Cashin

angieram

6 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Sorry not watched the video yet but who were/are the “doubters”?

He said people within the academy and the club told him he was likely to have a decent career at national league level but maybe not higher; 

"There were academy representatives who said we think you'll have a good career, maybe in non-League or at National League level, if you work hard.

"I've had a lot of ups and downs in my career. There will always be doubters.

"So to prove them wrong and to get 100 appearances is massive for me, and obviously my family.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13046968/derby-defender-eiran-cashin-im-not-the-biggest-or-the-tallest-or-the-strongest-but-ive-found-a-way-to-make-it-work

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sorry, meant to post this one and couldn't remove video above.

"There were academy representatives who said we think you'll have a good career, maybe in non-League or at National League level, if you work hard.

I don't know how anyone came to that conclusion after watching him at U18 level. In his first year, he scored 5 goals in 17 games as we clinched the U18 title, then scored 2 and assisted 2 the following year as we went on our European adventures. We then almost released him before opting for a short contract the season prior to our administration.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He said people within the academy and the club told him he was likely to have a decent career at national league level but maybe not higher; 

"I've had a lot of ups and downs in my career. There will always be doubters.

"So to prove them wrong and to get 100 appearances is massive for me, and obviously my family.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13046968/derby-defender-eiran-cashin-im-not-the-biggest-or-the-tallest-or-the-strongest-but-ive-found-a-way-to-make-it-work

Either brilliant motivational coaching or a car-crash of coaching prescience 🤷‍♂️?! To be fair, I remember talking with Daren Wasssel about Will Hughes who said “At 15 years old, I wouldn’t have predicted that Will would be the lad making his first team debut at 16!”. I suspect a great many players fall through the net who would otherwise become future seasoned professionals. 

I hope we get Cashin on a long term contract soon. I’d love to see him progress as a derby player, but I hope he doesn’t become another Louie Sibley. I might have got this completely wrong, but didn’t we turn down a £10 million bid for Sibley from Leeds at a similar time of Bellingham going to Dortmund? Cashin could potentially give more back to the club in a big money transfer than he potentially could as a player.

9 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I hope we get Cashin on a long term contract soon. I’d love to see him progress as a derby player, but I hope he doesn’t become another Louie Sibley. I might have got this completely wrong, but didn’t we turn down a £10 million bid for Sibley from Leeds at a similar time of Bellingham going to Dortmund? Cashin could potentially give more back to the club in a big money transfer than he potentially could as a player.

Don’t know if they ever bid but I have it on good authority they were very interested.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't know how anyone came to that conclusion after watching him at U18 level. In his first year, he scored 5 goals in 17 games as we clinched the U18 title, then scored 2 and assisted 2 the following year as we went on our European adventures. We then almost released him before opting for a short contract the season prior to our administration.

I imagine as a club we’re by no means unique in this but I find it striking the number of instances of this or similar in relatively recent history.

Jakobsen seems to have been an error, Elsnik and Ravas maybe but hard to judge the level. Then you have nearly stories like this one - plus I think I’ve read similar with Ebosele and Archie Brown?

I suppose it shows how hard it is to judge players. Mindless speculation obviously but part of me wonders a little if Wassall’s departure was related to this sort of thing. 

33 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I imagine as a club we’re by no means unique in this but I find it striking the number of instances of this or similar in relatively recent history.

Jakobsen seems to have been an error, Elsnik and Ravas maybe but hard to judge the level. Then you have nearly stories like this one - plus I think I’ve read similar with Ebosele and Archie Brown?

I suppose it shows how hard it is to judge players. Mindless speculation obviously but part of me wonders a little if Wassall’s departure was related to this sort of thing. 

Another I can think of is Freddie Draper who was released at 16. Still only 19 now and had 10 goals and 3 assists in his 21 L2 games at Walsall. Recalled by Lincoln last week.

Without sounding like a football manager player, could the club hold onto some of these border line players for an extra year or two and have them loaned out to lower levels. The club that takes the player would pay some or all of the wages, which wouldn’t increase the costs too much for Derby.

Using Freddie Draper, who was just brought up, as an example the club would have had an extra season or two to assess his ability in the men’s game. By the sound of Ghost of Clough’s comment he’s had a decent season so far.

I'm sure some of the youngsters would benefit with more loans at teams like Matlock Town and Mickleover. Bartosz Cybulski seemed to develop more after his loans at Matlock and Solihull Moors, than playing in the academy. It just happened that it was probably to late for him at Derby.

On 15/01/2024 at 16:41, Ghost of Clough said:

Another I can think of is Freddie Draper who was released at 16. Still only 19 now and had 10 goals and 3 assists in his 21 L2 games at Walsall. Recalled by Lincoln last week.

Oh great - first goalscorer on Saturday sorted then!

Cash has been getting better and better for me this season, just so composed, positionally much stronger and making better decisions. Distribution has also been excellent. Really good to hear his affection for the club, hopefully it means he will help to make sure we get maximum value from him when we sell. Maybe he'll be convinced to stay if we get promoted.

On 15/01/2024 at 15:22, Ellafella said:

Either brilliant motivational coaching or a car-crash of coaching prescience 🤷‍♂️?! To be fair, I remember talking with Daren Wasssel about Will Hughes who said “At 15 years old, I wouldn’t have predicted that Will would be the lad making his first team debut at 16!”. I suspect a great many players fall through the net who would otherwise become future seasoned professionals. 

That's an astonishing admission from Walsall. You don't hear coaches saying things like that very often.

And what's even more astonishing is that when Hughes made his debut, he was clearly the most skillful player on the pitch.

Could something miraculous have happened in that one year or is it genuinely so difficult to predict how a player will develop?

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

That's an astonishing admission from Walsall. You don't hear coaches saying things like that very often.

And what's even more astonishing is that when Hughes made his debut, he was clearly the most skillful player on the pitch.

Could something miraculous have happened in that one year or is it genuinely so difficult to predict how a player will develop?

I guess there's more to a youngster making their senior debut to just their skill level. Hughes wasn't physically strong, could have been very immature etc. at 15 and things can change quite quickly on those areas for a lad that age. 

Guess it just goes to show how tricky it is to really know at that age, there's so many variables and changes yet to come.

I used to play with a lad called Eddie Johnson who was one of the hottest prospects in the Man Utd academy at 15/16 and nailed on for stardom by all accounts. Don't think he ever played higher than League 1 kind of level and ended up in the US. So much of it is down to chance and circumstances.