Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Oduroh was sent back by Rochdale where he was in and out of the side. He needs another loan to a National League or National League North side.

They've played 28 League games so far this season. Oduroh featured in 20 of them. That seems more like regular appearances to me than being "in and out".

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

7 full 90s, subbed off in 8, subbed on in 4, and unused in 8.

The pedant in me wants to know where the missing game has gone? 😉 

But also, the numbers don't seem great at a glance, but that's 15 starts out of 20 (or 19 depending on which numbers are right) appearances. It's not the worst return from a loan spell ever.

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

The pedant in me wants to know where the missing game has gone? 😉 

But also, the numbers don't seem great at a glance, but that's 15 starts out of 20 (or 19 depending on which numbers are right) appearances. It's not the worst return from a loan spell ever.

That wasn't the only mistake I made 🥴

20 appearances out of 28, left on the bench for the remaining 8.
11 starts, with 7 full 90s and subbed off in 4 games
Came off the bench 9 times
An average of 57.5 mins per appearance, or 41 mins per matchday squad.

With Wilson, Ward, Fozzy expected to be out with smith and wags still out id go with 

Wildsmith 

Nelson Bradley Cashin

Barkhuizen Hourihane Bird Elder

JJ Collo NML

Im 50/50 between JJ and Tommo and going 2 or 3 in midfield. 

Id definitely have Joe back in goals as well as having a back 3 with only 1 fit natural full back. 

I cant see Oduroh featuring, it would mean he cant go out on loan again which id imagine is what we want to do.

I dont think Burton will come away to us & play 2 up front so I think we will stick with a back 4. Nelson was set to play right back vs Fleetwood but Warne changed to a back 3 when he saw the Fleetwood lineup with 2 strikers, so i think Nelson may end up right back.

Vickers - Nelson Cashin Bradley Elder - Bird Hourihane - Barkhuizen Thompson NML - Collins

Wildsmith Wilson Fapetu Fornah Sibley TJJ Brown

I do think maybe Wilson might make the bench.

On 10/01/2024 at 08:54, jimtastic56 said:

Some saying Fozzie has a calf injury

We have no respect for the elderly in this country. He’s probably the most experienced defender in the division, and yet we have him running up and down the left touchline like an excitable 20 year old linesman, just waiting for a serious soft tissue injury to take him out for the rest of his playing career. When he comes back his role in the team needs to reflect his strengths and his vulnerabilities 

Edited by kevinhectoring

Putting aside any issues of whether he's good enough, I don't think Odurah is the kind of fullback Warne wants anyway.  I reckon he was signed by Rosenior to do the kind of job he had Hayden Roberts doing (and what John Stones does for Man City, for example), where he drifts into central midfield to give extra passing options from the back.  From what we've seen of him (which isn't much of course), he certainly doesn't look like the kind of fullback that's going to bomb up and down the touchline and whip crosses in.

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Putting aside any issues of whether he's good enough, I don't think Odurah is the kind of fullback Warne wants anyway.  I reckon he was signed by Rosenior to do the kind of job he had Hayden Roberts doing (and what John Stones does for Man City, for example), where he drifts into central midfield to give extra passing options from the back.  From what we've seen of him (which isn't much of course), he certainly doesn't look like the kind of fullback that's going to bomb up and down the touchline and whip crosses in.

There must be a player in Oduroh somewhere. He was captain of the Man City youth teams so you would expect him to be a reliable, trustworthy player. I think maybe the biggest issue with him is that he was never loaned out so never experienced men's football besides the odd pizza cup game so hopefully this recent loan has done him the world of good. Hopefully Warne has at the very least re-introduced him to senior training this past week. It would be stupid to cast him aside to the under 21's without seeing where he's at.

We certainly do need to figure out right back while Nyambe isn't around, as I don't feel playing 352 and having Bradley in gets the best out of us overall. Either give an u21 a chance or cope with Wilson there and play NML and Barkhuizen on the wings. You'd like to think we can cope better at home with an attacking full back, even then, I'd trust Wilson way more than Ward.

16 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

There must be a player in Oduroh somewhere. He was captain of the Man City youth teams so you would expect him to be a reliable, trustworthy player. I think maybe the biggest issue with him is that he was never loaned out so never experienced men's football besides the odd pizza cup game so hopefully this recent loan has done him the world of good. Hopefully Warne has at the very least re-introduced him to senior training this past week. It would be stupid to cast him aside to the under 21's without seeing where he's at.

The bold bit is the root of it really.  He's been coached for years to play Guardiola-style football, which I think is exactly why Rosenior signed him.  But Warne-style football is about as far away from that as it's possible to be.  There may well be a player in there, but I suspect we won't ever see it here.

On 11/01/2024 at 10:28, Van der MoodHoover said:

How has the grass got in such poor nick if the ball isn't ever touching it....🤔

Isn't it obvious? If the ball is in the air, the players have to jump. That causes damage in the push off and landing.

I am surprised it isn't un playable after the last couple of games.

55 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The bold bit is the root of it really.  He's been coached for years to play Guardiola-style football, which I think is exactly why Rosenior signed him.  But Warne-style football is about as far away from that as it's possible to be.  There may well be a player in there, but I suspect we won't ever see it here.

Warne has made it pretty clear that he doesn't rate the lad.  Doesn't appear that Rochdale do either so not sure why people think it would be a good idea to throw him into our 1st team.  

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

We have no respect for the elderly in this country. He’s probably the most experienced defender in the division, and yet we have him running up and down the left touchline like an excitable 20 year old linesman, just waiting for a serious soft tissue injury to take him out for the rest of his playing career. When he comes back his role in the team needs to reflect his strengths and his vulnerabilities 

A few months ago a Rotherham fan came onto this forum to see how we were doing under their ex-boss. He asked, amongst other things, whether we were getting loads of injuries, especially during training and especially soft-tissue injuries.

How did he know?