Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

18 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

We dont have a midfield, both are not good enough championship we would get battered 

The comments made are not about next season but on matches already played.

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

But he didn't give it. It's what happens and the players have to deal with that. By getting on with the game, regaining composure quicker etc.

Oh for sure not doubting that at all

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Where did I say it's not fair to post constructive criticism 

You didn't, but you 'just hopped in' to have a little dig at what you perceived to be excessive negativity, at least that's what I took from your post.

I think you knew what you were doing, which was sniping at other members for what you perceived to be an overly negative outlook.

I don't believe your post added any more value than some of the more 'extreme' criticisms posted in this thread.  

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

From reading this thread, I have to assume that it was one of the worst performances ever by a Derby County side - yet we somehow fluked a win. Is that a fair assessment?

/still not well enough to attend in person - just in spirit.

No. Sadly a group on here have had a bit of a blouse rending episode, which has turned into a bit of an embarrassment as the capitulation they described failed to materialise and I am sad to report we now sit 1 point off top. 

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Get in.

To be frank, I couldn't actually care less that we didn't win by 2 goals to go into 2nd. There's 20 games left, the only thing separating us and Peterborough are the fact that they've scored 2 goals more than us. Whether we won 3-2 or 4-2, nothing is decided tonight. We haven't ended a matchday in 2nd place since February 2018 under Rowett, and we still ended up finishing 6th that year.

The most important thing is that we won, I don't care how. That game had a hell of a lot of "you can just see it going wrong" things on the list, I think @Srg listed a fair few before kick-off. Local game, new manager, ex-players, bringing on a striker making his league debut (and scoring 3 minutes in), contentious referee decisions, or lack of them, coming back to bite us. There was the potential for things to go very wrong. And if you watched on Sky, they did their typical thing of putting up stats that completely jinx the game, such as how few goals Burton have scored.

These are the kind of games where we've messed up in the past and it's cost us in the past. From the minute it went to 2-1, we were poor, there's no excuses being made for that, it was a tough watch. But I'd much rather show that we still need a bit of work in January when that work is possible, and still winning at the same time means there's very little damage.

Take the points and carry on, we're a point off top with a game in hand, no matter how we performed tonight that's an excellent place to be. Three games in a week coming up, two of which are away and in the away table we are 1st, so there's a lot to be positive about.

Hopefully CBT can join the ranks before Lincoln, and maybe one or two more before the end of the window and then we'll be well on our way to getting out of this league.

Onwards and upwards, and thank God for Conor Hourihane's left foot.

Possibly the most sensible post of the night- some posters on here are as poor as our defending was a couple of times tonight.

17 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don't think he's done anything particularly wrong, but he doesn't look as confident or as match ready as Wildsmith. I didn't think Wildsmith deserved to be dropped, but I'd happily see him back in as I think he's the better of the two keepers.

Based on Warnes new contract tripped for some players on appearances, could Wildsmith be one? Do we want him to have it or do we want the wages for another player.

Warne on the radio. Good for 50 mins. Had a wobble.

2nd goal is unforgivable.

Disappointed with losing control and our character

Credit to Burton. Tried to force things and found them hard to break down

Needed more patience

Doesn't know if we deserved a win

Says we got away with it

No need for strong words. Says the team could see the issues. Need to be confident under pressure

Being mid table is easy. Going up is harder

If you make mistakes you will get punished

Win will feel better tomorrow

Easier to critique a win than a loss

Not over the moon,should be better should have control. Concern over 90 mins

Need to strengthen frontline, asking a lot of players. 1 or 2 short

Game management needs working on. Keeping the ball etc, over confident? Let ourselves down in a few moments but they are human beings people make mistakes and will learn

Gotta keep sticking to what coaches tell them. Collectively they are stronger than individuals

2 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

No. Sadly a group on here have had a bit of a blouse rending episode, which has turned into a bit of an embarrassment as the capitulation they described failed to materialise and I am sad to report we now sit 1 point off top. 

giphy.gif

I call it as I see it.

We brute forced a win there by having better players. Outside of that we were out-fought and out-thought in the second half. The players and manager need to sort that out because it's not the first time this season.

Three points papers over some pretty big cracks in today's performance.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Possibly, but another way of looking at it is we conceeded 2 poor goals in quick succession, were a bit shellshocked, regrouped then dominated the closing stages and got the winner.

It's not always neccesary to change things immediately. And players like Hourihane can be match winners.

We didn’t dominate the end of the game. Going in to injury time they looked the more likely and I would have taken a point. Funny how fans see the game differently.

24 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

image.thumb.png.671973fa879cf5f1b1846276274b650b.png

Stats can say many things - but they mislead in this case- it was painful for much of the game and it certainly looked at one point that we might/could/would lose.

We all see games differently but all want the same thing. 

Dodged a bullet there, the midfield offers very little. Fair play to hourihane for the winner, but we have zero control of games. I think is by design, have no desire to play through midfield. It just looks horrible.

Wilson was excellent again, Collins offering so much more this season.

john Jules dissapointing, wanted him to start for a while but that was poor. Yet to see elder have a decent game as well.

interesting couple of weeks ahead!

32 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He did. The defenders weren't the problem tonight. The big gaping hole in the middle of the pitch we left for them and a lack of composure were the problems.

The former is on the manager, the latter is on the players.

Their first goal came down the left wing. The second was arguably just a mistake from Elder. Until they scored they hardly had a touch in our box. Our defenders were the problem tonight.

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

Warne watching a player tomorrow night that he likes. Who wants to narrow that down?

Barnsley v Carlisle in league one, Moxon?

Mansfield v Forest Green in league two. ??

Chesterfield v Altrincham in national league, the lad at Chesterfield? 

Bunch of FA Cup games 🤷🏻‍♂️