Oliver Arblaster

DCFC1388

Original story comes from Nixon in The Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/25271364/danny-ward-sheffield-united-transfer-news-leicester-euros/

"Elsewhere, Derby  are watching Blades midfielder Ollie Arblaster, 19, who is back from a loan at Port Vale.

Arblaster may be out for a month with a gashed knee suffered in the Carabao Cup against Middlesbrough last month.

So the Rams will have to leave it late to check on his recovery."

Looked an outstanding talent in the game against Port Vale, if I’m remembering the right player, and there was a lot of hype around him. Can’t see us signing a centre mid this window though, Warne loves Hourihane too much.

The injury probably puts pay to any potential move for him anyway, very much doubt he’d pass a medical - other than maybe right at the end of the window, so guess it could be one to watch if we lose anyone in midfield.

Edited by Millenniumram

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Looked an outstanding talent in the game against Port Vale, if I’m remembering the right player, and there was a lot of hype around him. Can’t see us signing a centre mid this window though, Warne loves Hourihane too much.

The injury probably puts pay to any potential move for him anyway, very much doubt he’d pass a medical - other than maybe right at the end of the window, so guess it could be one to watch if we lose anyone in midfield.

He would be taking the place of Embleton in theory though, so I could certainly see this happening. 

39 minutes ago, admira said:

Unusual surname. 

English (of Norman origin): occupational name from Anglo-Norman French alblaster arblaster Old French arbalestier arbelestier 'soldier armed with a crossbow'. The surname may also mean 'maker of crossbows'.

Love this. Names, stories and derivations. I knew a bloke in Sheffield, surname Havenhand. His great grandparents were Dutch emigres and opened a Butchers Shop: “R. Van Hand.” Changed it at the outbreak of WW1 as anything faintly Germanic wasn’t popular. Shops name sounded the same in proper Yorkshire speak. 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t think he loves Hourihane at all. He’s hooked him off quite a few times now. I just don’t think we have had better options. He will be replaced as soon as possible. Warne really rates Bird though and he would play ahead of Hourihane if we had another good attacking midfielder

1 hour ago, jono said:

Love this. Names, stories and derivations. I knew a bloke in Sheffield, surname Havenhand. His great grandparents were Dutch emigres and opened a Butchers Shop: “R. Van Hand.” Changed it at the outbreak of WW1 as anything faintly Germanic wasn’t popular. Shops name sounded the same in proper Yorkshire speak. 

There was a guy called Keith Havenhand who played mainly for Derby reserves in the 60's.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

He would be taking the place of Embleton in theory though, so I could certainly see this happening. 

Plays a bit deeper than Embleton. Arblaster was on thr right of the 2 DMs/CMs in Port Vale's 3421, whilst Embleton mostly playwd as an AM in a 4231 at Sunderland.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 hours ago, admira said:

Unusual surname. 

English (of Norman origin): occupational name from Anglo-Norman French alblaster arblaster Old French arbalestier arbelestier 'soldier armed with a crossbow'. The surname may also mean 'maker of crossbows'.

Your right, I have come across the name a few times, the Norman "GODFREY THE ARBLASTER" held lands in Kent after 1066. 

2 hours ago, admira said:

Unusual surname. 

Politics students will undoubtedly recall the name of Anthony Arblaster, author of The Rise and Decline of Western Liberalism. 

Still have my copy somewhere on our shelves.

3 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I don’t think he loves Hourihane at all. He’s hooked him off quite a few times now. I just don’t think we have had better options. He will be replaced as soon as possible. Warne really rates Bird though and he would play ahead of Hourihane if we had another good attacking midfielder

Making him captain and starting him every game says otherwise, irrespective of how many times he’s been subbed off. There are other options now in the likes of Thompson and Fornah, why would we sign another? It’s not an area we lack depth in. Now attacking midfield is a different question, particularly if Embleton does go back.

4 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Embleton is a number 10 really, whereas this guy is more of a box-to-box midfielder. Wouldn’t be a direct replacement at least, and Embleton’s loan hasn’t actually officially been terminated (yet)

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Making him captain and starting him every game says otherwise, irrespective of how many times he’s been subbed off. There are other options now in the likes of Thompson and Fornah, why would we sign another? It’s not an area we lack depth in. Now attacking midfield is a different question, particularly if Embleton does go back.

Did you not see how easily Peterborough’s midfield ran round ours? Or at Stevenage? We have to be more mobile and aggressive there.

Even yesterday there was a spell when we looked vulnerable through the middle.

We have numbers but not the variety we need. We have players that are okay but not top two.

If we’re ambitious, we’ll strengthen.