Oliver Arblaster

DCFC1388

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Did you not see how easily Peterborough’s midfield ran round ours? Or at Stevenage? We have to be more mobile and aggressive there.

Even yesterday there was a spell when we looked vulnerable through the middle.

We have numbers but not the variety we need. We have players that are okay but not top two.

If we’re ambitious, we’ll strengthen.

I don’t disagree - my personal opinion is a midfield two of Bird and Hourihane is too slow, and results in our midfield being overrun by any decent team.

But I’m not convinced Warne sees it that way. And even if he did, we can’t really justify signing any more midfielders unless some leave imo. We will see on that count.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t disagree - my personal opinion is a midfield two of Bird and Hourihane is too slow, and results in our midfield being overrun by any decent team.

But I’m not convinced Warne sees it that way. And even if he did, we can’t really justify signing any more midfielders unless some leave imo. We will see on that count.

I think our issue is the blend isn’t quite right. NML, Collins and Wilson all deserve to start. We also want a more skilful forward so are trying to shoehorn in TJJ or a newbie.

Often Bird and Hourihane are the only true midfielders and they get swamped.

I think Hourihane is wasted in the deep positions he takes up. The guy can shoot.

We hoped Fornah would be the answer but not so far.

I would allow Sibley and Smith to go. Even Thompson, though I love his attitude. Nothing against any of those players. It’s just we’ve had a number of seasons where we’ve supported players who are familiar to us without success.

Sometimes the next step is to refresh. We didn’t do it last season and it cost us.

I guess I’m a sucker for a new player 😊

2 hours ago, Donkey Derby said:

Good player, although after recall from Vale, Wilder said they wouldn't be looking at another league one loan

Exceptions made for a premier league club visiting league 1 ☺️

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think our issue is the blend isn’t quite right. NML, Collins and Wilson all deserve to start. We also want a more skilful forward so are trying to shoehorn in TJJ or a newbie.

I think Hourihane is wasted in the deep positions he takes up. The guy can shoot.

I would allow Sibley and Smith to go. Even Thompson, though I love his attitude. Nothing against any of those players. It’s just we’ve had a number of seasons where we’ve supported players who are familiar to us without success.

Sometimes the next step is to refresh. We didn’t do it last season and it cost us.

Again, I’m pretty well with you here. Our forward line isn’t too much of a problem (though we need to resolve the John-Jules situation), as they’re all pretty capable of scoring goals when given the chance - the problem we have is we’re often not creating enough chances. That comes down to an unbalanced midfield which is too defensive. We need to get an extra man in there who has a bit of “spark” and can unlock the tight defensive units we are often faced with - I guess this was the intention of signing Embleton, but he got injured before we could really try it out.

Sibley is the other player in our team capable of performing that role - he needs to be given more of a chance imo. He could be the difference maker in the second half of the season. Agree about Fornah, I’ve been very disappointed with him so far, and Thompson has never really had a great influence in a Derby shirt - but I can’t see either leaving in this window. Think you’re a bit harsh on Smith, who has generally been a good, reliable performer in a Derby shirt.

Think the only way anything changes in midfield this window is if we lose Bird. Otherwise, you’re going to have to wait until the summer, when that area will likely undergo a full rebuild.

52 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Hourihane and smith are both out of contract in the summer aren’t they? So we may be looking at replacements that aren’t getting games or contracts expire that would be cheap to get in. 

As it stands our only centre mid beyond this summer is Fornah so not shocked at all to see us linked with centre mids. We will probably need 2 or 3 beyond this summer. I can only really see Thompson staying. I think we will offer Sibley a new deal for compensation purposes but thats it. Bird will go regardless of promotion, Smith wont get a new deal & I think Hourihane only stays if we go up.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree with regard to Smith and Sibley but think it's far too soon to be thinking about letting Thompson go. He's had some injuries but I see definite improvement in his all-round play and he's the only midfield player who provides some of the energy needed for how it appears Warne wants play. 

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Again, I’m pretty well with you here. Our forward line isn’t too much of a problem (though we need to resolve the John-Jules situation), as they’re all pretty capable of scoring goals when given the chance - the problem we have is we’re often not creating enough chances. That comes down to an unbalanced midfield which is too defensive. We need to get an extra man in there who has a bit of “spark” and can unlock the tight defensive units we are often faced with - I guess this was the intention of signing Embleton, but he got injured before we could really try it out.

Sibley is the other player in our team capable of performing that role - he needs to be given more of a chance imo. He could be the difference maker in the second half of the season. Agree about Fornah, I’ve been very disappointed with him so far, and Thompson has never really had a great influence in a Derby shirt - but I can’t see either leaving in this window. Think you’re a bit harsh on Smith, who has generally been a good, reliable performer in a Derby shirt.

Think the only way anything changes in midfield this window is if we lose Bird. Otherwise, you’re going to have to wait until the summer, when that area will likely undergo a full rebuild.

I see your point and agree with it in part but I think Tommo’s injury came just as he was knocking on the door to be a starter. He hasn’t been able to play that much but is hopefully coming back now. And Fornah ? I generally only see home games so it’s difficult to comment as he hasn’t featured that much, occasionally as a sub but how many starts has he had ? Don’t think he’s had a fair crack of the whip yet. I think he’s got something. Without those two we don’t have a particularly dynamic midfield. Skilled yes, intelligent yes but Max and Connor need something to compliment them.

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Hourihane's legs clearly gone, he's got good quality but even against bottom half opposition he's getting run all over. I remember this lad looking decent, be a good loan.

Probably, but he’s the only midfielder that is capable of providing a source of production. Bird, really, should be the one to stop teams running over us in the middle of the park - it’s not like he’s in the team for goals and assists. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Probably, but he’s the only midfielder that is capable of providing a source of production. Bird, really, should be the one to stop teams running over us in the middle of the park - it’s not like he’s in the team for goals and assists. 

I feel like the role Bird has doesn't suit him, his assist & good play yesterday kinda showed you he wants to play higher up. I think he would provide far more supporting the striker more directly, he's good around the box doing the intricate stuff. Surprised Fornah hasn't featured more but maybe Warne isn't that impressed with him so far?

Think the Bird Hourihane positional swap may have taken place because of Hourihanes legs, seen a few times attacking players taking on this deep lying playmaker role when they no longer have the pace to pose a threat up front. I agree that typically I'd want Bird deeper. I'm conflicted about this rumour, I saw our side get overrun in midfield, with our first string in, but I stand by my iteration in an earlier thread that I'd like to see players coming in to mitigate the risk of repeating last years burnout especially up front. With Sibley, Thompson, Smith, Fornah, Bird, Hourihane plus potential U23s can we get through to summer in L1 and then go for a larger rebuild knowing our league. Would he start? That's the big question. If he improves the side then yeah sure, elsewise I dont think we need squad depth there.

5 hours ago, jono said:

I see your point and agree with it in part but I think Tommo’s injury came just as he was knocking on the door to be a starter. He hasn’t been able to play that much but is hopefully coming back now. And Fornah ? I generally only see home games so it’s difficult to comment as he hasn’t featured that much, occasionally as a sub but how many starts has he had ? Don’t think he’s had a fair crack of the whip yet. I think he’s got something. Without those two we don’t have a particularly dynamic midfield. Skilled yes, intelligent yes but Max and Connor need something to compliment them.

Yeah I did think Thompson’s injury came at an unfortunate time for him - he’d just broken into the team and was performing well, I think he’ll struggle to get back in now. In terms of Fornah, he hasn’t had much of a chance to start - but his performances have been so ineffective off the bench, he’s not really pushing for one. As I say, for me neither of those two are the answer - Sibley or a new player is, to bring some creativity and spark to our midfield.

He’s the kind of player that I’d want here and I think would do really well here. The Vale fans rave about him, seem to think he’s the best loanee they’ve ever had. The article linked in the tweet is worth a read if you can navigate the ads.

I doubt he would be one beyond half a season though. Sheff Utd are down, if we were in their position, he’s the kind of player I’d want to start integrating into the team ready for next season. Osula gets decent minutes in the PL for them and didn’t exactly shine in League 1, if Arblaster did as well as he did, then I’m sure SUFC could feature for them too.

23 hours ago, Kernow said:

He’s the kind of player that I’d want here and I think would do really well here. The Vale fans rave about him, seem to think he’s the best loanee they’ve ever had. The article linked in the tweet is worth a read if you can navigate the ads.

I doubt he would be one beyond half a season though. Sheff Utd are down, if we were in their position, he’s the kind of player I’d want to start integrating into the team ready for next season. Osula gets decent minutes in the PL for them and didn’t exactly shine in League 1, if Arblaster did as well as he did, then I’m sure SUFC could feature for them too.

I agree with you here.

I think the fact Leigh Curtis has gone to the trouble of speaking to someone at the Port Vale end and running a whole article on him would make me think that there's something in this. 

He got injured against Boro on the 19th December and they think he'll be out for a month. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him come in before the Lincoln game.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree with you here.

I think the fact Leigh Curtis has gone to the trouble of speaking to someone at the Port Vale end and running a whole article on him would make me think that there's something in this. 

He got injured against Boro on the 19th December and they think he'll be out for a month. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him come in before the Lincoln game.

I didn’t expect him until the end of the window, if at all, I guess the injury may influence Sheffield Utd’s decision whether to integrate him now or send him out on loan again. If he’s done as well as he has in L1 already, then he’ll probably be part of their squad in the Championship next season, he might even end up on loan at a Championship side instead this month.

• 5 weeks later...

Thought this Twitter thread was interesting about falling in love with loan players.

The number of Vale fans mentioning this guy suggests he's quite the player. It's just a shame that this rumour never materialised into something concrete for us.