Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He’s just trying to make the right noises in order to ingratiate himself with the Bristol City fans.

If that was the case, why didn't he just announce he is moving into a new house with both an attic room and a secret cellar full of PC monitors, keyboards, and tissues, and that "all are welcome to the house warming as long as they arrive wearing only their pants and a BCFC shirt".

Owd Papa Dop would be waiting at the gate, offering to help carry the tea chests in for him!  

👀

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

Just had a quick mooch on the Brizzle website. Over 20 pics of Max in various poses in different club kit. Bet that took ages. If he is knackered for Charlton I hope we send a bill to Ashton Gate

The Bird announcement on X was very strange . All the Family Guy stuff , and then he ends up in some sort of barn 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 05/01/2024 at 14:00, Eoghan1884 said:

Bird clearly is best in a 2 behind a 10 in a team who like to dominate possession, we rarely play a formation to get him playing to his max (excuse the pun) and we never play possession football anymore. So I do think he’s unlucky as we’re not really suited to him at all anymore. If he doesn’t want to sign a new contract, sell him and with the money on top of whatever we already are willing to spend we could sign 3/4 players to help get us with promotion with loans and perms.

I love Bird and would be happy if he stays but it could benefit all 3 parties involved if he does go this January. I certainly would keep cash out of the two of them if that was a choice needed to be made 

In the 17 games since the Stevenage defeat we have averaged 56.4% possession, with a low of 34% vs Peterborough and a high of 71% vs Crewe, also hitting 66% on 3 occasions, its a myth to say we don't have possession.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

In the 17 games since the Stevenage defeat we have averaged 56.4% possession, with a low of 34% vs Peterborough and a high of 71% vs Crewe, also hitting 66% on 3 occasions, its a myth to say we don't have possession.

Most of that possession Vs Crewe was picking the ball out the net and kicking off.

12 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

The Bird announcement on X was very strange . All the Family Guy stuff , and then he ends up in some sort of barn 🤷🏻‍♂️

Isn’t that something to do with the Bird song/chant that we have never been able to get going? 

I bet he's going to get loads more love from the Bristol City fans than he ever did from us.

Neat and tidy, young, intelligent footballer.

Not much of a leader/motivator/focal point,  not much of a tackler,  weak in the air, not fast, 'safe' passer, isn't dynamic on the ball, not many goals.

Flatters to deceive way too much for someone who is seen as a top end Championship player over a long period.

Not fussed he's going. 

Sure other people see a lot more to like and I wouldn't argue,  just how I see him. Poor man's Michael Carrick and he was massively rated, so what do I know!

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Isn’t that something to do with the Bird song/chant that we have never been able to get going? 

I bet he's going to get loads more love from the Bristol City fans than he ever did from us.

Nothing to stop you getting a chant going in the West Stand . As long as you put something in there about a large appendage.

Bird has been flightless for too long playing well below his capability. All flap and fart but no flight. He’d rather sit on his perch pecking at seed and has rarely been out of first gear this season. Too safe, likes backwards and sideways, too slow, can’t run won’t run, not the chap you need in a scrap. I’m sure he’ll find exhibition football somewhere.

12 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Bird has been flightless for too long playing well below his capability. All flap and fart but no flight. He’d rather sit on his perch pecking at seed and has rarely been out of first gear this season. Too safe, likes backwards and sideways, too slow, can’t run won’t run, not the chap you need in a scrap. I’m sure he’ll find exhibition football somewhere.

Or just needs not to be paired with Hourihane in a 2

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bird now leads the list for open play assists out of all CMs in the league. Only Peterborough's Joel Randell has created more chances.

"Only passes sideways and backwards".

Give yourself a pat on the back for apparently finding an obscure stat that appears to show Bird having suck-seeded. According to BBC he is joint 9th in League 1 assists with 8 other players. He’s scored 3 goals in 25 appearances, with 6 assists. That doesn’t look bad (although 3 goals isn’t enough) but if there was a stat on running back and making crucial tackles he would be somewhere close to the bottom. For sideways and backward passes he’d be vying with Hourihane at the top. Sorry his overall output isn’t good enough for the talent he has, and yes no doubt that has much to do with playing in a 2 man midfield with lazy bones Hourihane. Maybe why he is leaving the nest. 

5 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Give yourself a pat on the back for apparently finding an obscure stat that appears to show Bird having suck-seeded. According to BBC he is joint 9th in League 1 assists with 8 other players. He’s scored 3 goals in 25 appearances, with 6 assists. That doesn’t look bad (although 3 goals isn’t enough) but if there was a stat on running back and making crucial tackles he would be somewhere close to the bottom. For sideways and backward passes he’d be vying with Hourihane at the top. Sorry his overall output isn’t good enough for the talent he has, and yes no doubt that has much to do with playing in a 2 man midfield with lazy bones Hourihane. Maybe why he is leaving the nest. 

So you've just made up an imaginary stat. 

Give yourself a pat on the back.

4 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Hardly obscure. It's comparing him with players who play in a similar position and putting him on a level playing field by ignoring set pieces.

Why would you compare him with wingers and forwards like you have done? Why would you compare his output to those who take all the freekicks and corners? Even if you do want to include set-pieces, Bird is still up there in terms of stats.

Passing isnt about quantity or proportion of backwards/sideways passing, otherwise Xavi would be considered the worst midfielder of all time - over an entire season he averaged 80% of passes going backwards/sideways, whislt Bird is somewhere around yhe 40-50% mark. The important stats from a passing perspective relate to chances created and 'second assists'.

6 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Bird is now a Bristol City player on loan to us . If he is going to be a half decent player like Knight he will have to show up against the likes of Bolton and not just the minnows. Having watched City v Leeds Utd the running stats are miles ahead of Birds .

21 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Bird is now a Bristol City player on loan to us . If he is going to be a half decent player like Knight he will have to show up against the likes of Bolton and not just the minnows. Having watched City v Leeds Utd the running stats are miles ahead of Birds .

What's your evidence for Bird's running stats?

I can’t help but feel this is a bit short-termist from knight and bird. But accept that a footballer’s career is also very short. 

it’s entirely possible we’re back alongside them next season, given they seem to be only battling Preston for title of most consistently mid-table, I’m not sure it’s the right destination. 

On 03/02/2024 at 08:12, angieram said:

On reading this thread I've come to the conclusion, that's not a high bar and I don't doubt for one minute that it's part of his reasoning either.