January Reinforcements

sage

The Reading fire sale is well underway. They're flogging Tom McIntyre to Portsmouth for just £75k, someone who I'd really like at Derby. Good age at 25, experience in the Championship with 100 odd games. https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/24083056.reading-fc-defender-verge-portsmouth-move-cut-deal/

As already said there's that Knibbs there, obviously Savage junior. Why aren't we looking at shopping there? We had Carson and Byrne off Wigan in their time of need. Plenty had our pants down during the admin year. Time to return all the love.

8 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

The Reading fire sale is well underway. They're flogging Tom McIntyre to Portsmouth for just £75k, someone who I'd really like at Derby. Good age at 25, experience in the Championship with 100 odd games. https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/24083056.reading-fc-defender-verge-portsmouth-move-cut-deal/

As already said there's that Knibbs there, obviously Savage junior. Why aren't we looking at shopping there? We had Carson and Byrne off Wigan in their time of need. Plenty had our pants down during the admin year. Time to return all the love.

I mentioned it in another thread, but McIntyre is exactly the type of player we should avoid. Since being in the Reading first team, he's been out for an everage of 4 months every season, including 3 motnhs out already this season.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I mentioned it in another thread, but McIntyre is exactly the type of player we should avoid. Since being in the Reading first team, he's been out for an everage of 4 months every season, including 3 motnhs out already this season.

So he'll be alright for 3 of the 4 months we have left this season? 😉 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I hadn't seen any injury records my bad, just remember his name from many a year playing against them. I'm sure he scored a late winner against us one time around. For £75k, I'd be taking the risk. Then all the others in their squad that should be available for a pittance.

28 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

We dont have the money to buy anyone so why would we be looking there? Until the summer we are still under restrictions so just need to bide our time in the market.

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

We dont have the money to buy anyone so why would we be looking there? Until the summer we are still under restrictions so just need to bide our time in the market.

Did we have the money to buy Washy? Didn't we do a loan but we'll pay you if we go up deal?

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

Could be able to pay loan fees til the summer with buy options?

really sick of hearing we have no money...whether its true or EFL restrictions or a combination of both i refuse to believe we can't get a decent player in on loan or buy someone,( I don't mean spending a fortune ) how does it work out then that Bolton can spend and Charlton can offer big sums of money when there income through the gate etc is much less than ours 

If we knew it was going to be difficult getting players in why haven't we used Robinson and Weston more from the bench to at least give them a try 

2 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Doesn't matter how big the budget is if we're having to work within an EFL budgeting framework.

I thought we were working within our own budget.  Never heard DC or DCFC complaining that they were constrained externally.  From the little we can see we are losing money as a business so not sure why DC would want to  lose more

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought the loan pot still had cash to spend?

It sounds like a certain manager has been smoking too much pot and got confused with which pot was which, the pot for loans got spent on a perm and the loan pot was supposed to be spent on CBT but it accidently got spent on a quantity of CBD oil.  Mark Thomas has turned up rocking a new hair do and Paul Warne is off his tits.

Season 5 Beverly GIF by ABC Network

That 70S Show Red Foreman GIF

3 minutes ago, S8TY said:

If we knew it was going to be difficult getting players in why haven't we used Robinson and Weston more from the bench to at least give them a try 

Sadly I believe PW would rather flog his senior players into submission than give the youth a go.

Clearly we are having to be very smart and sensible with our finances but there is the big resource of the academy that PW chooses to ignore. 

We might have found a player who can offer sufficient cover that we could afford to maybe pay more for a  player who will really improve us. If nothing else, a few mins rest for those players aged 30+ would be welcome!

Doesn't really strike me that there is much sense of planning ahead going on.

19 minutes ago, S8TY said:

really sick of hearing we have no money...whether its true or EFL restrictions or a combination of both i refuse to believe we can't get a decent player in on loan or buy someone,( I don't mean spending a fortune ) how does it work out then that Bolton can spend and Charlton can offer big sums of money when there income through the gate etc is much less than ours 

Bolton & Charlton are working within standard FFP/P&S structures like everyone else in the league whereas we are still working with the EFL under a business plan until the summer. This post says it all really...

Screenshot_20240130-154042_X.jpg

19 minutes ago, S8TY said:

really sick of hearing we have no money...whether its true or EFL restrictions or a combination of both i refuse to believe we can't get a decent player in on loan or buy someone,( I don't mean spending a fortune )

I suspect it’s probably got something to do with them not having recently come out of administration and being subject to an EFL approved business plan for a two year period….

You can be sick of hearing about it, but that doesn’t change the reality of our situation. Regardless of our size and revenues, we did go into administration with large debts, we came out of administration and had to settle some debts, and we were required to submit a business plan to the EFL for approval which we then have to adhere to.

I’m all for the conversations about misuse of what funds we do have given the hit and miss success so far of our summer recruitment, we seemingly could and should have gone for other free agents as an example, perhaps those with a better age profile and more resale value. Though I still standby the fact the age profile isn’t as a bad as some make it out to be it’s a realistic argument to say we could have tried signing Knibbs or Smith (went to Reading) instead of Waghorn and Washington for example.

BUT regardless of the conversation around how we’ve used the restricted funding available to the club, I have accepted that those funds do remain restricted due to recent events that simply cannot be denied. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I suspect it’s probably got something to do with them not having recently come out of administration and being subject to an EFL approved business plan for a two year period….

You can be sick of hearing about it, but that doesn’t change the reality of our situation. Regardless of our size and revenues, we did go into administration with large debts, we came out of administration and had to settle some debts, and we were required to submit a business plan to the EFL for approval which we then have to adhere to.

I’m all for the conversations about misuse of what funds we do have given the hit and miss success so far of our summer recruitment, we seemingly could and should have gone for other free agents as an example, perhaps those with a better age profile and more resale value. Though I still standby the fact the age profile isn’t as a bad as some make it out to be it’s a realistic argument to say we could have tried signing Knibbs or Smith (went to Reading) instead of Waghorn and Washington for example.

BUT regardless of the conversation around how we’ve used the restricted funding available to the club, I have accepted that those funds do remain restricted due to recent events that simply cannot be denied. 

I just wish that instead of Pearce/Clowes/et. al. coming out and saying we weren't under any restrictions, they'd been honest and tempered expectations at the start of the season, when it is clear to see we are still working under restrictions imposed on us by the EFL,

By Pearce coming out and saying something along the lines of 'we have the money to be getting promotion out of this league' (can't remember his exact quote), it's given fans the wrong idea of what we can and can't do.

Just using these players as examples, not necessarily who we've 'lost out on', but Calvin Ramsay going to Bolton on loan, and Callum Lang signing for Portsmouth, it was clear for the level headed fan to see that these are players we cannot afford, be that due to transfer fees, loan fees or wages... we are still under restrictions, and that severely impedes what we can and can't do.

18 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Bolton & Charlton are working within standard FFP/P&S structures like everyone else in the league whereas we are still working with the EFL under a business plan until the summer. This post says it all really...

Screenshot_20240130-154042_X.jpg

Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP) is the Financial Fair Play rules for all League One and League Two Clubs. The SCMP requirement is whereby a Club's Player-Related Expenditure shall not exceed the sum of 60% or 50% of the Club's Relevant Turnover for League One and League Two Clubs respectively.
If DCFC are restricted differently can someone suggest how much more money DC would have invested for transfers?  Maybe we just don’t have the money

Just now, Waghorny said:

I just wish that instead of Pearce/Clowes/et. al. coming out and saying we weren't under any restrictions, they'd been honest and tempered expectations at the start of the season, when it is clear to see we are still working under restrictions imposed on us by the EFL,

By Pearce coming out and saying something along the lines of 'we have the money to be getting promotion out of this league' (can't remember his exact quote), it's given fans the wrong idea of what we can and can't do.

Just using these players as examples, not necessarily who we've 'lost out on', but Calvin Ramsay going to Bolton on loan, and Callum Lang signing for Portsmouth, it was clear for the level headed fan to see that these are players we cannot afford, be that due to transfer fees, loan fees or wages... we are still under restrictions, and that severely impedes what we can and can't do.

It’s a difficult one, so Clowes gave that interview saying he “thinks” it’s a competitive budget, which no doubt it is, I’m no accountant but there are a couple on here who seem to know their figures so based on their posts I guess the agreed EFL plan will be relative to our size and income as a club. With that taken into account it probably means we’ve been able to pay very healthy wages for the level we’re at, the likes of Ward, Bradley, Elder and Washington will all be on a good whack.
The discussion from some in the summer and in hindsight for sure, is were some of the players we did sign the right choice? For some you can see an argument against it, as an example (and I don’t mind the bloke or his contribution to the side despite early errors) would the wage and whatever signing fees we spent on Bradley,  who has turned out to be third choice cb, have been better invested in a younger third choice cb option (Pennington who went to Blackpool was one discussed in the summer) and then could it have gone further and paid for another wage to add depth to another position? We’ll never know now.

But what is clear, when we’re doing deals dependent on future fees, and loan pots being used to pay for permanent deals etc is that we are very clearly still restricted in how we use what money we do have. Anyone looking at the spending of other league one teams as a stick to beat Clowes or Warne with (beyond comparing the effectiveness of the spend) is ignoring the club’s ongoing post admin situation in my opinion.