January Reinforcements

sage

4 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Comparing to last season which is what @Caerphilly Ram has done it’s impossible to disagree. 

Would I rather watch Didzy than Collins? Yes, would I rather us still have Didzy? Yes. But on output compared to last season we’re doing better.

It’s a much worse division this season - the 3 teams better than us got promoted whilst two ok teams started with point deductions - has our football improved- not for me - yes our away form is very decent whilst at home nearly every game is painful to watch 

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think this statement has caused some debate. I hope we don't get more "spewing bile" type statements (not from your good self I hasten to add), but I believe that the majority of those signings have NOT improved us overall.

I think Nelson, nyambe yes. Wilson on the cusp.

Ward, elder, Bradley, fornah, Washington, waghorn, TJJ no.,.. either through injury or ability.

Therefore, my head then says that if we can only afford a couple, the odds aren't great.

Just my view and obviously for debate.

On Nelson, Nyambe and Wilson I totally agree whilst Ward is limited and Elder will be fine as a left back cover player. Bradley has been a big disappointment and I have seen nothing of promise from Fornah. Washington has done ok as opposed the his career record but he is broken whilst Waghorn actually provided some quality and winning goals but again more injury prone nowadays. JJ has the quality of an Arsenal youth player but not the ability to get on the pitch in men’s football 

January is a tough window to get players  that will strengthen as we did the opposite this time last year. Don’t think there will be any movement until the last week of the window. You can look at the likes of Charlton who are strengthening but look where they are in table. We aren’t in the position to throw money at clubs and players. 

My hatred towards Stephen Pearce will never go but David Clowes will know the position we are in with Portsmouth faltering and Peterborough likely to lose a couple of players as well as their captain, patience is needed with signings. Extending Nyambe Cashin and NML’s contracts have been clearly outlined as the first objectives this window. 

As for transfer movement..CBT has to be the top target as Warne has identified and described him in so many post match interviews this season, needing more ‘pace’.  I wouldn’t be against Michael Smith on loan as Warne gets the best out of him. A loan player from a PL club would be my guess if we fail signing CBT. A midfielder like Arblaster is exactly who we need as well. 

A very small positive is we are being linked/interested in the right players who would strengthen us, the hard part is obviously getting them in. No more Springetts or Harvery Whites. The club HAVE to get the signings right which is the why they are being patient and rightly so.

I think it’s very unlikely CBT commands a few like that with so little left on his contract. Isn’t that what Alfie May went for with a year left on his contract and a better track record?

I can’t see us even offering anywhere near that if the moneys that tight anyway.

30 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think it’s very unlikely CBT commands a few like that with so little left on his contract. Isn’t that what Alfie May went for with a year left on his contract and a better track record?

I can’t see us even offering anywhere near that if the moneys that tight anyway.

Perhaps they just don't want to sell to US now that they are throwing cash about and think they can hamper and catch us ?

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

I think that you could have put that a bit better. I personally prefer my cheaper car with heated seats and a nice paint job compared with next doors' more expensive motor with a bigger engine, after all we are both restricted to the same speed limits.😁

I probably could have but it’s an interesting comparison. I love to have grunt under the bonnet, not to exceed speed limits, simply to have the reserves in emergencies and the waftability of an engine that is less stressed. Each to his own.

In simpler terms though .. if it’s a question of 3k a week verses 6k a week then of course money talks; but if Derby are offering say 10/15% less dosh than “AN Other”  perennial L1 club that has a regular attendance of 7,100. Which would you take ? 

23 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Perhaps they just don't want to sell to US now that they are throwing cash about and think they can hamper and catch us ?

19 points, possibly 22 when on equal games played. They’d have to make up over a point a game. Barring a total collapse, they aren’t catching us. If Barnsley win their game in hand, they’d have to make up nearly a point per game to just get into the top 6. They could sign Mbappe and they still wouldn’t get promoted this season.

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m not saying anything of the sort, again it’s speculation on your part, I’ve never seen Succession, but heard it’s good. 
I am saying the club has set itself a budget within an approved business plan, and more than likely has to stick to that budget. As such we as fans may need to accept that we’re not yet at the point of spending heavily on signings (essentially the same conclusion you’re coming to but without promoting a speculative theory at David Clowes’ willingness or ability to invest further). The sooner fans accept those lower (and maybe more disappointing expectations) the easier it is to not feel anxious about the whole thing.

You’re the one who keeps bringing David Clowes personal fortune, his willingness to invest it, and how his extended family may feel about it, into the conversation without any direct quotes or evidence to back it up. My point is that it doesn’t serve anyone or anything well to speculate on such things, however if you want to continue doing so that’s your right. I’m just looking to present a slightly more calm and rationale outlook on it than telling everyone Clowes can’t and won’t spend any money cause his family probably don’t want him to

If it was his personal fortune, it would be  more likely that you’re right about this.