January Reinforcements

sage

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

I think the reason some get a bit disappointed when the window is open is the same reason I do 

We don’t want to spend silly money and go against financial restraints blahdy blah but it’s the fact that PW explains how difficult it is to get anyone and all the stars have to line up and the wind has to be blowing in the right direction etc etc when others seem to just get on with it and get players in eg Charlton signing Coventry 

it seems to follow a similar path each time saying we are near players have been shown round blah blah and we all think this is Derby and we should be able to sign a couple of half decent first team players for league 1 and then in the last few days PW says we tried but everything can just change and it’s so difficult to get the right players in yet also say it’s not difficult to get players to play for a club like ours ??

Then hey presto …last knockings of the window  cue the Springett and White signings ….lol ….we’ve had all season to identify the players that would make a difference yet something stops it from happening and I don’t think it’s all about finances 

You say "similar path each time" but then only reference last January (which everyone would admit was disappointing) conveniently overlooking the summer window just gone where we brought in 10+ players who have clearly improved us.  It's easy to be disappointed when you twist everything into the most negative outlook possible. 

Edited by Blondest Goat

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

I think the reason some get a bit disappointed when the window is open is the same reason I do 

We don’t want to spend silly money and go against financial restraints blahdy blah but it’s the fact that PW explains how difficult it is to get anyone and all the stars have to line up and the wind has to be blowing in the right direction etc etc when others seem to just get on with it and get players in eg Charlton signing Coventry 

it seems to follow a similar path each time saying we are near players have been shown round blah blah and we all think this is Derby and we should be able to sign a couple of half decent first team players for league 1 and then in the last few days PW says we tried but everything can just change and it’s so difficult to get the right players in yet also say it’s not difficult to get players to play for a club like ours ??

Then hey presto …last knockings of the window  cue the Springett and White signings ….lol ….we’ve had all season to identify the players that would make a difference yet something stops it from happening and I don’t think it’s all about finances 

He is responding to questions asked of him by press/reporters etc. would you rather the questions weren’t asked or that he gave a “no comment” answer? He is a truthful guy with honest principles and telling you how it is, in terms of trying to sign the right players. The name Derby County no longer gives a guarantee we should be able to sign anyone we like. There are so many different factors to be considered by players when transferring to a new club. He is right in that thousands of players would sign for us, but mainly not the ones we want to improve us.

4 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

You say "similar path each time" but then only reference last January (which everyone would admit was disappointing) conveniently overlooking the summer window just gone where we brought in 10+ players who have clearly improved us.  It's easy to be disappointed when you twist everything into the most negative outlook possible. 

I think this statement has caused some debate. I hope we don't get more "spewing bile" type statements (not from your good self I hasten to add), but I believe that the majority of those signings have NOT improved us overall.

I think Nelson, nyambe yes. Wilson on the cusp.

Ward, elder, Bradley, fornah, Washington, waghorn, TJJ no.,.. either through injury or ability.

Therefore, my head then says that if we can only afford a couple, the odds aren't great.

Just my view and obviously for debate.

4 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

He is responding to questions asked of him by press/reporters etc. would you rather the questions weren’t asked or that he gave a “no comment” answer? He is a truthful guy with honest principles and telling you how it is, in terms of trying to sign the right players. The name Derby County no longer gives a guarantee we should be able to sign anyone we like. There are so many different factors to be considered by players when transferring to a new club. He is right in that thousands of players would sign for us, but mainly not the ones we want to improve us.

Yes, Warne and his staff will have identified players they think can improve us. Clowes and Pearce then have to look at the finances and the regulations (cos we don’t want to go down that route again) and may say sorry, we can’t do that.

I know we are excited at the prospect of promotion but we can’t risk the future of our club again. We have a big wage bill and there’s no guarantee we can shift the ones we don’t need in order to bring in those we do.

Back in the summer, we were almost accepting the departure of Cashin because we had this 6’5” colossus coming in. 

We were hoping for Hansen but ended up with Rylan.

Cashin and Nelson have been the rock around which are season has been built. I’d be sad to see Bird go and we’d need two in his place. Hourihane, Sibley and a few other fringe players could go but I’m not sure we’d get much for them.

We have to just accept the window might not be exciting and hope our bid isn’t derailed.

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I'd argue all the incomings offer more than Springett, White, Davies, Stearman and Chester gave us last season.   For al the tedious moaning about Bradley would people rather have Stearman as back up to Cashin and Nelson?  Think not.

Of course not and obviously I can only speculate but I’d say Bradley is on x4 what Stearman was so he’s certainly not value for money.

But as a general rule the recruitment for the defence has been good, it’s the other end that’s the problem.

9 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

We all have dreams of putting the white shirt on and scoring in front of the South stand. Are players bothered about the size of the crowd or the value of the contract ?Sorry to say it’s about the ££££’s or why would Knight have gone ,and more to follow.

Oh yes, for sure but Knight had tasted it and was wanted by a team in a higher league.  I was thinking more about those players currently in L2 or L1.

Derby has to be more appealing than Wycombe or Orient and that appeal must be more valuable in terms of 10% less in salary terms ? Hey I don’t know but I’d sacrifice heated seats and metallic paint for a bigger engine even if it cost me a few quid

46 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Comparing to last season which is what @Caerphilly Ram has done it’s impossible to disagree. 

Would I rather watch Didzy than Collins? Yes, would I rather us still have Didzy? Yes. But on output compared to last season we’re doing better.

Yeah, to be clear my comments last night weren’t a comparison of the player, just his goals haven’t been a loss to the output of the side overall.

I’m with you in that I’d still like to see McGoldrick strutting his stuff with a Ram on his chest. I don’t mourn him too much though as I’m a fan of our gruff, industrious number 9, I like that he’s a bit of a throwback at times

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

10 + players of which literally 2 of them Nelson and Nyambe are regular starters so not sure the summer was exactly a massive improvement as you suggest 

we have needed players at the top end as PW puts it yet sign up Waggy and Washington who although arent bad players still come across as make do signings rather than must have signings I’m not being negative iM just pointing out that the window gets a lot of fans excited but in reality we can’t get the real game changing type of players that hopefully are on our list of targets over the line which is worrying if we can’t compete with the likes of Charlton 

11 minutes ago, S8TY said:

10 + players of which literally 2 of them Nelson and Nyambe are regular starters so not sure the summer was exactly a massive improvement as you suggest 

we have needed players at the top end as PW puts it yet sign up Waggy and Washington who although arent bad players still come across as make do signings rather than must have signings I’m not being negative iM just pointing out that the window gets a lot of fans excited but in reality we can’t get the real game changing type of players that hopefully are on our list of targets over the line which is worrying if we can’t compete with the likes of Charlton 

I'll admit that few of the incomings have made a huge impact on the starting 11.  Less than hoped for sure.  A few have had injury issues though so it's a bit early to be writing them off in my opinion.  The squad is definitely improved, more options, more depth and our league position reflects that. If we tail off like we did last year and miss out on top 6 I will be agreeing with you that we're no better but I honestly can't see that happening.

I'd argue all the incomings offer more than Springett, White, Davies, Stearman and Chester gave us last season.   For all the tedious moaning about Bradley would people rather have Stearman as back up to Cashin and Nelson?  Think not.

Probably not too much to choose between them.

But it's January, we aren't comparing to the summer, as they are completely different entities when it comes to transfers. 

It's like comparing your December gas bill to last July to see if consumption has gone up this Christmas 🤣

All we have to go on is Warnes January last year (which he admits he failed in) and his previous comments about not liking the January window, many times I might add. Plus his comment about the Rotherham recruitment team being frustrated with him because he always turned down the players they suggested he sign. 

Last January's failings cost us a top 6 place, possibly a top 2, in my opinion, had we recruited right. I'm just hoping we don't repeat that, but signs currently suggest we may.

Warne did alude to having to let players go before getting the players he wants in. Warne said

“to get these (his top targets) in, you might have to let two of them (current players) go” 

Also talked about having to know the players going out are definitely going before getting trying to finalise deals. So could be all deals done in the last week of the window. 

1 minute ago, rams_1233 said:

Hopefully @Big Trav can get us talking today because its looking so so similar to last window at the moment 

It’s really not. We’ve extended the contracts of NML, Cashin and Nyambe in the last couple of weeks, have more depth in the squad and are better placed in the league with more goals, more wins and more points than this time last year.

There’s still 19 days of the window left in which we may still strengthen further, do yourselves a favour and save the panicking until Feb 2nd 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Comparing to last season which is what @Caerphilly Ram has done it’s impossible to disagree. 

Would I rather watch Didzy than Collins? Yes, would I rather us still have Didzy? Yes. But on output compared to last season we’re doing better.

But it’s a far worse div. And otherwise we’ve got a better squad. Can’t compare stats to last year you can only compare to an imagined ‘counterfactual’. In my imaginings we have Didzy sitting behind Collins and Sibley, sprinkling passes to them like magic dust, Sibley behaving like he’s playing against Oxford and Milwall combined… We’ve cut Portsmouth adrift, Bird and Cashin are looking forward to the Championship and David Tepper has just visited David Clowes. In your world we just lost to Bradford 

Edited by kevinhectoring