January Reinforcements

sage

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whilst 352 suits some players, such as Collins, it doesn't suit others. Mendez-Laing went from having 5 goals and 4 assists in his 9 games on the left wing, to just 1 goal in 5 when played in the middle.

Yep, and he has been bundled over to anywhere to fit ward and Wilson in on the right hand side. Play your best players in their best positions and if that means some don’t play 🤷‍♂️

Have it on good authority that the 2 main targets are Dobra and CBT, but finances are difficult so unless some leave (Smith,Sibley etc) we aren’t getting them, and then it’ll be youngsters on loan and more than likely nearer the end of the window we see movement. Sorry to be a downer 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah, I’d like a new attacking midfielder. I don’t think we have the personnel currently to push for top two. 

Competition for CF would be great, especially if it’s someone quicker.

Collins is far more effective when he doesn’t have to run back for the ball, which he does to bolster the midfield.

Let him focus on getting in the box and add a runner from midfield who hits the box late to pick up drag backs. 

Would sacrifice Sibley, Thompson, Barkhuisen and Smith (plus Bradley if anyone will take him).

Still gives us Hourihane and Fornah as spares in midfield. Few have stronger wide options than NML and Wilson and we have Ward as a spare. I know he’s not playing well but he hasn’t become a bad player overnight. He will rise again 😊

I'm not convinced we need the attacking midfielder- the obvious weakness in that area is our ability to provide adequate cover to the defence. I've never considered Hourihane as a DM - his quality has been in passing and shooting in the attacking third whilst Bird, when played in a deep role is too easily passed through, very much reminding me of Jeff Hendrick who defensively was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Max showed against Fleetwood what he is capable of when given freedom to go forward.

12 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Have it on good authority that the 2 main targets are Dobra and CBT, but finances are difficult so unless some leave (Smith,Sibley etc) we aren’t getting them, and then it’ll be youngsters on loan and more than likely nearer the end of the window we see movement. Sorry to be a downer 

Surely we wouldn't want both of them.

One of them and a CF I would have thought 

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'm not convinced we need the attacking midfielder- the obvious weakness in that area is our ability to provide adequate cover to the defence. I've never considered Hourihane as a DM - his quality has been in passing and shooting in the attacking third whilst Bird, when played in a deep role is too easily passed through, very much reminding me of Jeff Hendrick who defensively was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Max showed against Fleetwood what he is capable of when given freedom to go forward.

I’m greedy Wolfie.

I want a new defensive midfielder and an attacking one!

I see Bird as the conduit between those two.

A Dobson/ Coventry- type in front of the back four and a Kemp/ Moxon-type rampaging forward.

We could still have a strong midfield then if we got promoted.

16 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Finances is an interesting one, because I doubt we will command a fee for anyone leaving (unless it's Cashin), so therefore it must be the wages that is the issue 🤨

23 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

What happened to the supposed money available? 

Chesterfield are playing tonight against decent opposition - be interesting to see if Dobra is involved. Looks a good player.

Heard it second or third hand that he is a complete twonk ......no idea if true.

Big step up though - as we saw with Tschimanga who was scoring 3 in 4 for Chezzy and hasn't scored a single goal since moving to league 1.

45 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Interesting 😊

55 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Love clowes for saving the club but obvious to see he’s repaired a broken car with elastic bands doesn’t have the money to run derby long term or at least spend anything. Never going to be a weaker league 1 or a better opportunity for to get promoted. I’m not saying spend millions on transfers but couple hundred thousand on players shouldn’t be out of our remit 

Just now, Barney1991 said:

Love clowes for saving the club but obvious to see he’s repaired a broken car with elastic bands doesn’t have the money to run derby long term or at least spend anything. Never going to be a weaker league 1 or a better opportunity for to get promoted. I’m not saying spend millions on transfers but couple hundred thousand on players shouldn’t be out of our remit 

Who do you think we could sign for a couple of hundred thousand pounds that would improve the squad?

12 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Who do you think we could sign for a couple of hundred thousand pounds that would improve the squad?

Spend a few hundred thousand on loan fees would be an option we didn't have last year apparently.  Served Plymouth well and can lead to a permanent if promoted.

50 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

What happened to the supposed money available? 

More money was made available when we missed out on Harris and was put up for another player we couldn't get through the door late on.  I assume that excess could be tied up in new deals as well for existing players, or new offers not yet taken up therein.  Could probably do with Bird s******* or getting off the pot.

55 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Chesterfield are playing tonight against decent opposition - be interesting to see if Dobra is involved. Looks a good player.

Heard it second or third hand that he is a complete twonk ......no idea if true.

Big step up though - as we saw with Tschimanga who was scoring 3 in 4 for Chezzy and hasn't scored a single goal since moving to league 1.

This window should be about improving the team now, not for the future. Dobra has 6 in 23 at national league level. That hardly screams out as an automatic first choice and an improvement on Wilson or Barkhuizen. Can’t see it myself. 

22 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Loans and also players in last 6 month contract. Like I said league 1 is weak and we are in an excellent position but last night highlighted we need extra bodies this team gets burnt out by march for a fact. Yet if we don’t make it across the line and players are fatigued and we run out of steam people on here will be quick to blame warne 

36 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Is it your opinion that the owner should throw money away into the club then? I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you - just checking that is your position?

Im frustrated as well - Clowes Developmets do have money and thus therefore so could DCFC if they wanted to.