Holiday Plans - 2024

Stagtime

On 03/11/2023 at 14:13, admira said:

After getting back from Tallinn where we spend Christmas, it's new year in the new pad in Carcassonne, Eindhoven in February, Lyon for Easter, Madrid in April, Bali in May, five weeks in Carcassonne in June / July and back there twice in September. That's it for now.ย ๐Ÿ˜ย  Will try and get the Mrs drunk later though and talk her into some Italian interrailing in August.

Unless you've got visas, make sure you don't exceed 90 days in a six month period in the EU. ๐Ÿ˜ก

https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/visa-calculator/calculator.htm?lang=en

Edited by Grumpy Git

On 02/11/2023 at 17:06, tinman said:

Aka the show off threadย 

Yep , not going to post where we are going other than to say the wife booked it and itโ€™s somewhere she has always wanted to go , given she has not had a holiday since covid started apart from 3 days in Spain to see her dad I reckon she deserves it as she works very hard , plus I get to go too ๐Ÿ˜‚

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep , not going to post where we are going other than to say the wife booked it and itโ€™s somewhere she has always wanted to go , given she has not had a holiday since covid started apart from 3 days in Spain to see her dad I reckon she deserves it as she works very hard , plus I get to go too ๐Ÿ˜‚

What nights are the bingo exactly, asking for a friend?

On 24/09/2023 at 08:44, Mucker1884 said:

Nothing set in concrete as yet, but I strongly suspect a 2 week camping trip early June, and similar again early September, will make up the bulk of our 2024 holiday plans.ย  Looking at somewhere new (to us), and have one eye on the Alsace region, and half an eye on Lake Annecy.
The problem with that is that our son and his new bride are based on the opposite side (Les Landes) (when he's not over in Ukraine de-mining) so we may change plans to meet up with them.ย ย 
That's the beauty of such camping trips... nothing needs to be booked other than La Shuttle... and even that can soon be amended with ease.

Annecy huh? Camped there last summer, me and the missus. Stayed at Le Solitaire Du Lac, great campsite and direct access to the lake for swimming, water is surprisingly warm but it was touching 40 degrees when we went.

The drive to Chamonix is super picturesque if you fancy a day trip to see Mont Blanc. You can even get a train to Geneva which I'm told is also picturesque but we didn't do that.

ย 

Alsace we did 4 years ago, also fantastic scenery and beautiful towns/villages, very germanic. We stayed near Colmar, in Eguisheim. Some stunning old places around there like Riquewehr.ย  Close to Freiburg and Basle as well. Freiburg was lovely and they have Park and Ride.

ย 

I'm sure you'll have a great time, wherever you go.ย 

We are off to New York end of April and then our camping trip is planned for San Remo in July.

21 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Alsace we did 4 years ago, also fantastic scenery and beautiful towns/villages, very germanic. We stayed near Colmar, in Eguisheim. Some stunning old places around there like Riquewehr.ย  Close to Freiburg and Basle as well. Freiburg was lovely and they have Park and Ride.

We stayed in Obernai a few years ago and toured the region from there. Some lovely places like Colmar etc as you say, but I reckon I'm still digesting all the pork and sauerkraut I ate!

Planning on going with the Mrs to Rome for a week and then a week down by the coast. We didn't go on holiday last year as we were both in between jobs and wanted to be prudent. But now she's just got her dream architecture role and I'm in place with a university position we've got the money to do it. Any tips on where to stay?

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Planning on going with the Mrs to Rome for a week and then a week down by the coast. We didn't go on holiday last year as we were both in between jobs and wanted to be prudent. But now she's just got her dream architecture role and I'm in place with a university position we've got the money to do it. Any tips on where to stay?

The Cinque Terre just north of Pisa is excellent, but not the cheapestย 

24 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Cheers sage ๐Ÿ™‚ย Money shouldn't be too much of a problem as we are both earning good money fortunately ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Ok. If I went for a week, I'd stop in Levanto which is a bigger town, then use the trains to stop at the 5 villages.ย 

It's basically 5 Italian Robin Hoods Bays in a row with walks in between

italian italy GIF

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking to book a week in Crete in early May, we want to visit Knossos Palace and so are looking at the NE. There's lots of resorts near to Heraklion airport but trouble is I recognise them from them being 'party' resorts. Any recommendations for places that dull old folk might like? ๐Ÿ˜„

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Looking to book a week in Crete in early May, we want to visit Knossos Palace and so are looking at the NE. There's lots of resorts near to Heraklion airport but trouble is I recognise them from them being 'party' resorts. Any recommendations for places that dull old folk might like? ๐Ÿ˜„

Agios Nikolaos. Decent sized resort with some music bars but not party central. Big enough to find a quiet area that suits you.

If that is too busy for you Elounda is nice but can be pricey.

ย 

Edited by sage

28 minutes ago, sage said:

Agios Nikolaos. Decent sized resort with some music bars but not party central. Big enough to find a quiet area that suits you.

If that is too busy for you Elounda is nice but can be pricey.

ย 

I think Ag. Nik. is a bit too far a drive from Heraklion for Knossos and also into the city for the Archaeology Museum. (Isn't it a bit 18-30 too? ) Elounda is a name I recognise but I'm not sure Jet2Holidays go there, I'll check.

What are you thoughts on Gouves (v near airport, too near?) or Hersonissos area (maybe a bit far transfer times, as the flights I'm looking at get in late night and if I'm not in bed by 11:00pm my Mum says I'm to come home! That joke dates me, lol).

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Only really Malia is the party resort. Stalis is really quiet, for couples and families. Hersonnissos appears to be a bit more cosmopolitan nowadays, with lots of Dutch, German and eastern European holiday makers. but that said, is still very orderly and civilised, with people sitting down in bars etc.

I will be visiting Stalis twice in 2024, once with some 40-50 year old mates to watch the first week of the Euros, and back in September with the missus. What I would say is that many places don't start their spruce and decorating until May, for June opening.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think Ag. Nik. is a bit too far a drive from Heraklion for Knossos and also into the city for the Archaeology Museum. (Isn't it a bit 18-30 too? ) Elounda is a name I recognise but I'm not sure Jet2Holidays go there, I'll check.

What are you thoughts on Gouves (v near airport, too near?) or Hersonissos area (maybe a bit far transfer times, as the flights I'm looking at get in late night and if I'm not in bed by 11:00pm my Mum says I'm to come home! That joke dates me, lol).

Heronissos may be the place for you then.

They have got an argument club there, but as you are only there for a week, you may not have enough time to finish oneย ๐Ÿ˜€ย