Holiday Plans - 2024

Stagtime

1 hour ago, Malagaram said:

I used to work for a German company,Bayer Leverkusen,and went to Cologne on an induction course,my father told me to look at the cathedral as he sang in an English choir when he was at school,and told me of the massive columns supporting the roof and how many children linking hands it took to surround one pillar.All that area was obliterated by english bombs in the second world war,but the bomb aimers left the cathedral untouched,hows that for accuracy.

Not untouched exactly, because bombing was far from precision. But it survived structurally intact. 

The cathedral played a role in the bombardments, in that its twin spires were an easy navigational touchstone for Allied bombers. The cathedral endured 14 bomb hits and was heavily damaged, but the structure remained, looming above the rest of the ruined city.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/ruins-cologne

On 27/03/2024 at 11:38, Kernow said:

Booked 4 days in Cologne for the end of June around the dates of England’s last group game. Belgium v Romania also in Cologne when we’re there. No tickets for any games but hoping I might be able to find some when over there.

We will be just leaving the area and heading south as you move in. 

Same as you, no tickets for any of the games but I bought a Swiss v Scotland one for the game in Cologne via a ticket agency for daft money. 

10 hours ago, Stagtime said:

How about this one, we’ve got an Eastern Brown lurking around our yard. Second most deadly snake in the world.

IMG_1414.thumb.jpeg.dd6bca433b0552641a659068355fe8fd.jpegIMG_1413.thumb.jpeg.18a13b11f9aead2490bd8ef3ed92c94f.jpeg

I think my pants would’ve honoured this snake!😲

49 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Off to Lisbon in the near future. Never been before so would be grateful for any tips on things to do/ places to visit/ restaurant recommendations. Cheers. 

It's 17 years since I went there, so specific recommendations might be out of date, but it's a great city. Barrio Alto for bars and nightlife, Gulbenkian museum for culture, Belem for the original custard tart bakery and the palace, Fado to understand the soul of Lisbon, ride the cute streetcars up the steep streets and walk down. Bus to beautiful Sintra if you fancy a day out of the city.

23 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's 17 years since I went there, so specific recommendations might be out of date, but it's a great city. Barrio Alto for bars and nightlife, Gulbenkian museum for culture, Belem for the original custard tart bakery and the palace, Fado to understand the soul of Lisbon, ride the cute streetcars up the steep streets and walk down. Bus to beautiful Sintra if you fancy a day out of the city.

Thanks @Crewton. Much appreciated. 👍

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

All good advice. I would add if you go to Belem for the custard tarts, go to the cafe next door to the shop. Costs 10 pence more but you don't queue for 20 minutes. Belem also has a nice Fort on the riverfront with a museum next to it.

Cascais can reached by tram and train and is a lovely beach resort.

If you like nice beer there is a beer cafe on the NW corner of the main riverside square.

The trams are great with about 10% of them being the old vintage ones. If you see one, jump on for a couple of stops just for the experience.

Edited by sage

Off to Seville for 4 no doubt sweltering days in July. Got a gig on the Saturday at the stunning looking Plaza de Espana. Realised recently that the Sunday will be the Euro’s final. Hoping England will feature there! Any recommendations of bars I could watch in if we did get to the final, presuming we’re not playing Spain?!

28 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

How do you sleep at night?!

All good mate, they’d rather bolt instead of fighting. Just have to treat them with respect, there’s been a few deaths already this year. I’ve had to move a couple from our school, they get s*** scared of 500 kids surrounding them.

On 06/04/2024 at 21:23, Steve How Hard? said:

Off to Lisbon in the near future. Never been before so would be grateful for any tips on things to do/ places to visit/ restaurant recommendations. Cheers. 

Did the Lisbon half marathon a few weeks ago and extended the stay for a bit of tourism.

We stayed in Bairro Alto, which is nice. But went over to Alfama more than once for food  including a wander round the castle near there.

• 3 weeks later...