Derby County vs Stevenage (A) Match Thread

Idiakez

On 26/10/2023 at 14:16, Sidd10 said:

Decent interview from Stevenage boss on their Youtube:

Speaks highly of Derby as a club and squad. Also speak highly of Paul Warne, which might help his confidence if he's been reading this forum lately. 🤣

Derby speak around 5:30 onwards.

Not sure what the bugle is about

Went up in my estimation with this

1 hour ago, dilkie said:

Anyone know the best place to park near the ground?  

There is a car park opposite the ground at Fairlands Valley but be warned it only has 1 exit and can take a while to get out afterwards. Whatever you do don't be tempted to park on any of the retail parks as you will get a ticket. They ate always patrolling them on matchdays. There is street parking available within a 15 minute walk of the ground if you get there early enough

‘If we reach the heights we did Tuesday night we’ll be difficult to beat’ 

I know being difficult to beat is a good thing and I know we’re playing a team higher in the league but aspiring to be ‘difficult to beat’ feels underwhelming.  I’d like our manager to have a little bit more optimism in what we’re capable of today. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I know being difficult to beat is a good thing and I know we’re playing a team higher in the league but aspiring to be ‘difficult to beat’ feels underwhelming.  I’d like our manager to have a little bit more optimism in what we’re capable of today. 

You've got to respect the opposition. Unfortunately too often it seems we approach them with fear! 😄

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You've got to respect the opposition. Unfortunately too often it seems we approach them with fear! 😄

Yes.   Feel like we should be better equipped to deal with this kind of game than last season but fear Warne will have us try and match them at their own game and find that they are better at it than us.

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I certainly don’t want our manager coming out in pressers and saying we should win and being over confident ( different with the players in private ) , it’s enough that derby is the big game for most of these clubs without they’re manager being given stuff to pin on the wall or show the player to motivate them even further by feeling we are disrespectful and dismissive of them 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Yes.   Feel like we should be better equipped to deal with this kind of game than last season but fear Warne will have us try and match them at their own game and find that they are better at it than us.

Or he may try to exploit they’re weaknesses, remember liam brought in as a championship expert under cocu , I kind of remember wondering if that undermined cocu a little then the bringing in of Rooney put the tin hat on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

I certainly don’t want our manager coming out in pressers and saying we should win and being over confident ( different with the players in private ) , it’s enough that derby is the big game for most of these clubs without they’re manager being given stuff to pin on the wall or show the player to motivate them even further by feeling we are disrespectful and dismissive of them 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t want him to come out and say ‘yeah we’ll batter this pub team’ but a ‘look if we’re at our best then I’m confident we can go there and get a result. Any less than our best and Steve will have them ready to take advantage of that’ 

Just something that gives the impression that we’re not going away to park the bus 😂

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Its a 'first be hard to beat' mentality that can be taken 1 of 2 ways - depending on whether you're Warne in/out.

I tend to agree that you start off by winning every 2nd ball, working harder, respecting the opposition, winning your individual battle and imposing yourself on them. 

However, Warne has said he wants to win games at the expense of losing games we may have otherwise drawn, but I can't say I've actually seen that cavalier attitude that much. With the table as it is....we need to start winning games so its irrelevant whether he pays due verbal respect to the opposition, it's about getting the points on the board.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don’t want him to come out and say ‘yeah we’ll batter this pub team’ but a ‘look if we’re at our best then I’m confident we can go there and get a result. Any less than our best and Steve will have them ready to take advantage of that’ 

Just something that gives the impression that we’re not going away to park the bus 😂

But warne and his staff regularly state that they go into every game intent on winning it rather than park the bus , he says he would rather win or lose than go for draws ,

come on we can’t grab everything as a stick to beat him with , I actually want him coming out in his pre game pressers and giving the opposition full respect , anything else is just daft , you don’t even see the likes of pep or klopp ect doing anything other than that, again how you prep the players is a different matter🤷🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Its a 'first be hard to beat' mentality that can be taken 1 of 2 ways - depending on whether you're Warne in/out.

I tend to agree that you start off by winning every 2nd ball, working harder, respecting the opposition, winning your individual battle and imposing yourself on them. 

However, Warne has said he wants to win games at the expense of losing games we may have otherwise drawn, but I can't say I've actually seen that cavalier attitude that much. With the table as it is....we need to start winning games so its irrelevant whether he pays due verbal respect to the opposition, it's about getting the points on the board.

Yep , was only really responding to the reaction to what’s said in pre game pressers 🤷🏻‍♂️