Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't recall Alex Ferguson ever doing that, pretty sure it was the officials fault every time they didn't win.

You say the Crewe performance was poor but that isn't really backed up by the statistics. 71% possession and 32 shots away from home does not shout out poor performance does it.

Maybe its just that Warne and some fans have different barometers on what is a good performance for a League One team?

The barometer is that we were within 2 minutes of going out of the competition and could well have been out . Sadly that happened last night  and we clearly learnt nothing from the first tie about how to combat a team which  packs the defence.

2 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Folk don't need to 'answer every question you ask' matey! 

Am I doing it right? 🤣

Yep. I wouldn't expect every question to be answered, just putting ideas and thoughts out there mate. Good that you picked up on them. 👍

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Warne said after the game that he promised them extra time off IF they won last night but now they've got to come in for training as usual on Thursday and Friday. 

So not only are they playing in games that could have been used to blood youngsters at the same time as giving them a rest, they'll now have to work even harder in training.

I'm going to predict muscle injuries on the horizon, low squad morale.

Poor management in my eyes

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I do find the inconsistency very odd. It either suggests some of the players Warne has brought in aren't up to it, Sonny Bradley for instance, or he can't get a consistent tune out of them which is a whole other problem. 

The bigger problem is Warne's signings AREN'T playing. Last season's squad wasn't good enough to finish top 6 playing the way Warne wanted. From that most used 11, we've lost McGoldrick, Knight and Roberts, replacing them with Nelson and Nyambe being regualrs, whislt Bradley, Wilson, Fornah and Barkhuizen are close together for that final 11th spot.

We started the summer wanting to recruit for 5 at the back. We got our defensive players in early, but repeatedly missed out on a number of midfield and attacking players. 523, 532, 5212, etc, we kept changing on our number 1 formation based on who we moved on to next. We stopped going for mobile forwards suited to Warne's pressing game, and started to target the older but clinical forwards. They still chose to go elsewhere.

By the end of the transfer window, we had missed out on so many targets, that the squad we had left were mostly suited to 4 at the back, resulting in playing 4231 most weeks. Since we went through the entire summer not planning to play with wingers, we were then put in an awkward position of needing wingers. Our last throw of the dice was trying to tempt Blackett-Taylor away from Charlton on deadline day.

It means that we now have :

1. Some defenders who were signed to play in a different system.
  2. Failed to improve on the best 11 from last season
  3. Inadequate depth in key positions
  4. Signed injury prone players

That may go some way towards explaining the inconsistency of play. The other key reason is player selection, as I explained I an earlier post today - a lack of players in the team who can create from open play without resorting to crosses.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

The barometer is that we were within 2 minutes of going out of the competition and could well have been out . Sadly that happened last night  and we clearly learnt nothing from the first tie about how to combat a team which  packs the defence.

Going out of a competition doesn't always equate to a poor performance. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Losing last night probably cost us £200k or so. Progressing through R1, hope of progressing through R2 and then a third round draw and the benefits of that game.

Instead we lost in front of 3,000 (I have no idea how many were there) to Crewe 😞

Another thing for David Clowes not to be concerned about (according to some).

5 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Another thing for David Clowes not to be concerned about (according to some).

In the pro warne thread I raised this after previously I was told I need to give my head a 'wobble' and that we shouldn't be expecting to spend any kind of nominal fee.

Since posting about the money lost because yet again it is clear the players are self motivating (apparently I was wrong), no one has responded. I'm sure next big game the players decide to self motivate themselves for they'll start quoting me.

I also pointed out the longer we stay down in L1 the more our revenunes will drop but this wasn't accepted either.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Losing last night probably cost us £200k or so. Progressing through R1, hope of progressing through R2 and then a third round draw and the benefits of that game.

Instead we lost in front of 3,000 (I have no idea how many were there) to Crewe 😞

Actually there was 28,000 there.

OK there wasn’t, but if we’re just going to make up figures 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, The Running Man said:

Confused by the inconsistency of the side.

Even more confused by the people who blame Warne for the losses, but give zero credit for the wins. Seems hypocritical to me.

Tell me if you understand this garbled message, that might help. 😄

"If they had won all three games, I told them the truth, they would have had a longer period off," said Warne, Derby's head coach. "If they didn't then I would see them Thursday. We'll address everything I spoke to them about in the dressing room. I'll show them what I've seen on the tape. We'll then go and train and then they can have three days away from my voice. It's not a punishment culture. It's not like we lost the game and the gaffer is going to have us running up hills at 6am.

"It is a reward thing. If they had won three home games then I would feel like they deserved it. That's how I know how they tried because they wanted the days off. We were just a bit short. Whether that was energy or anything else, it's difficult to say after the game."

Edited by RoyMac5

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Tell me if you understand this garbled message, that might help. 😄

"If they had won all three games, I told them the truth, they would have had a longer period off," said Warne, Derby's head coach. "If they didn't then I would see them Thursday. We'll address everything I spoke to them about in the dressing room. I'll show them what I've seen on the tape. We'll then go and train and then they can have three days away from my voice. It's not a punishment culture. It's not like we lost the game and the gaffer is going to have us running up hills at 6am.

"It is a reward thing. If they had won three home games then I would feel like they deserved it. That's how I know how they tried because they wanted the days off. We were just a bit short. Whether that was energy or anything else, it's difficult to say after the game."

What’s not clear in that? I’ll translate it for you if it helps in some way….

Warne told the players if they won the 3 home games their reward would be some additional time off. They didn’t win last night and as such he has instructed the squad to attend training as normal on Thursday. Training on Thursday is not a punishment, it is simply their standard schedule in the absence of the proposed reward of an extended break as they failed to achieve the target of 3 wins. 
On Thursday when they attend training they will revisit what was discussed post match in the dressing room last night as well as discussing the observations Warne (and presumably his staff) has made from watching the game back. They will then go out and train on the pitches as normal before having a 3 day weekend as there’s no game on Saturday. 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

What’s not clear in that? I’ll translate it for you if it helps in some way….

Warne told the players if they won the 3 home games their reward would be some additional time off. They didn’t win last night and as such he has instructed the squad to attend training as normal on Thursday. Training on Thursday is not a punishment, it is simply their standard schedule in the absence of the proposed reward of an extended break as they failed to achieve the target of 3 wins. 
On Thursday when they attend training they will revisit what was discussed post match in the dressing room last night as well as discussing the observations Warne (and presumably his staff) has made from watching the game back. They will then go out and train on the pitches as normal before having a 3 day weekend as there’s no game on Saturday. 

He says he knew they tried but he doesn't know why they were 'a bit short' - he's the manager! So now it's not a reward, (although "It's not a punishment culture. It's not like we lost the game and the gaffer is going to have us running up hills at 6am."), but they don't know why they lost because they tried. 

Yeah no explanation needed. 😄

9 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Didn’t we have a multi million pound takeover as well. They landed on a good manager as well as coach who has coached them to perfection to play to their strengths with different styles to change it up and all players have bought into the project. Is on the other hand seem to have zero coaching I can’t figure out what the game plan is apart from get it wide and swing in crosses every 10 seconds we can’t change a match in game. The only time we have any joy is if we score first the other teams go after the equaliser and we hit them on the break and unlike Ipswich is hazard a guess most of the players haven’t bought in to the project 

We DID score first and still got no joy.....

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm sure being a clever businessman, he will not have budgeted for FA Cup income beyond the first round.

Of course it would have been a welcome bonus but nothing more than that.

Paul Warne might, however, discover that his January kitty is not as big as it could be or that he wanted.