McGoldrick’s goals

Kernow

After last night, we now have Waghorn on 6 goals and Collins on 5. At the same point last season, McGoldrick had 1 goal.

As a team, we have scored 17, compared to 11 at the same point last season.

Were we over-worrying about replacing McGoldrick’s goals? I’m not expecting either Waghorn or Collins to match the individual tally, but I think as a team we look more threatening, more likely to score and not having to rely on just one player makes us a lot harder to play against.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

After last night, we now have Waghorn on 6 goals and Collins on 5. At the same point last season, McGoldrick had 1 goal.

Were we over-worrying about replacing McGoldrick’s goals? I’m not expecting either Waghorn or Collins to match the individual tally, but I think as a team we look more threatening, more likely to score and not having to rely on just one player makes us a lot harder to play against.

Some may have been. Others could see and did articulate the potential for goals within the squad rather than a reliance on one mercurial fella. 

We finished 7th last season with didzys goals.  We didn't need to just replace them we needed to match them and then add to them.  At least if we are looking for top 2.   We look much stronger as a squad all round.  The only weakness in the recruitment was upfront and who knows maybe if TJJ can be fit he will give us an added dimension.  But I can still see us having games like the weekend where we are fairly toothless upfront and we will miss out on the autos as a result.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

My fear after Saturday was that Waggy looked very leggy, can he keep up his early season sharpness. I always thought Collins was unlucky last season and was too easily written off by Rams fans . I hope JJ is fit soon as I do think we need more options up front due to our ageing other forwards. Washington done nothing so far but maybe I’m being greedy. 

5 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

We finished 7th last season with didzys goals.  We didn't need to just replace them we needed to match them and then add to them.  At least if we are looking for top 2.   We look much stronger as a squad all round.  The only weakness in the recruitment was upfront and who knows maybe if TJJ can be fit he will give us an added dimension.  But I can still see us having games like the weekend where we are fairly toothless upfront and we will miss out on the autos as a result.

I think this is absolutely spot on.  The jury is out on some of Warnes acquisitions, but some are really showing their worth.  Whilst the goals are currently flowing, I still think we are light up front for a top two finish.  As BG said, maybe TJJ will give us the added dimension.

Obviously away from home the opposition has the onus to come at us more leaving them shorter of numbers behind the ball, and I think if you look at our goals this season we have exploited this brilliantly, plus we've gone ahead in most away games so any home team sitting in, has to come out even more. 

At home, we currently don't have that spark or a player to work in tight areas, which Didzy could, amongst the many other things he brought, allowing us to break teams down easier.   We've not got a really powerful striker either, so I still believe we have not replaced him.  Hopefully come January with players approaching ends of contracts, we could pick someone up for a snip to add to the goal tally and take us to the Championship.  I accept Warnes comments about not buying players 30+ but I still think Michael Smith or JCH would be worth a punt in January. He admitted last January window he made a mistake by not bringing in more so I will be surprised if we don't see some in's and out's then.

I know it's only one result but feeling optimistic again for the season.

Gangway D from the terrace

By this point last season, he'd only played 273 minutes in the league out of 900(+extra time) available. He'd also only started 2 league games. You can't really compare the two when they've played 1091 minutes between the two. 

13 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

By this point last season, he'd only played 273 minutes in the league out of 900(+extra time) available. He'd also only started 2 league games. You can't really compare the two when they've played 1091 minutes between the two. 

Yep that’s something I thought too , don’t know if any statos can tell us how many goals we’ve scored as a team up to this point with no didzy compared to how many up to this point last season with didzy missing or just getting up to full fitness ?

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It is good to see goals spread about the team and also to see Barkhuizen and Mendez chipping in with assists.

Hopefully more of the same Saturday please 🙏 

Still time to win me over yet Paul.

Good man 👍

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Some may have been. Others could see and did articulate the potential for goals within the squad rather than a reliance on one mercurial fella. 

Yep, I was one of them. After pre-season, I thought we'd start the season on the rampage and I was quite taken aback when we didn't. It just shows the added pressure that players are under when the game gets serious. 

The strikers do seem to play with a certain amount more freedom away from home. More space on the break, as articulated by @GangwayD. Let's see if Bird can replicate some of Didzy's genius at working in tight areas at home now he is back. He hasn't got the scoring power of Didzy, but if he can continue playing those balls forward in and around the box it should help us to break down those stubborn defences. Waghorn or Collins should benefit from that. (Just don't start them together, please. Mr Warne!)

Went to meadow lane last night to see the pies against swindon as was offered a free ticket.

firstly god notts are good, play beautiful football… made me cry a little bit inside i wont lie.

Didzy… still class,

lovely touches, great goal wonderful assist 

He hasnt lost it and with no disrepect but would swap back for collins in a heartbeat…. Not that notts would want collins tbf

8 hours ago, angieram said:

Yep, I was one of them. After pre-season, I thought we'd start the season on the rampage and I was quite taken aback when we didn't. It just shows the added pressure that players are under when the game gets serious. 

The strikers do seem to play with a certain amount more freedom away from home. More space on the break, as articulated by @GangwayD. Let's see if Bird can replicate some of Didzy's genius at working in tight areas at home now he is back. He hasn't got the scoring power of Didzy, but if he can continue playing those balls forward in and around the box it should help us to break down those stubborn defences. Waghorn or Collins should benefit from that. (Just don't start them together, please. Mr Warne!)

Thought the exact same regarding the confidence after pre season. I felt that the recruits overall would make us stronger and goals would be spread out. I felt confident that between Washington, Waghorn and Collins  would at least match the goal tally that Didzy and Collo achieved last year which I believe was 36/37 - still think this will be achieved.

just feel that at home Sibley/Bird in the 10 and maybe only one cdm will help us unlock stubborn defences 

hope Warne remembers how he rued not rotating the players last season with thommo, Bird and CH back we have options 

DTID

15 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Collins will get 20 this year, PW will become a fan favourite again and Rams will be championship next season. Bookmark it.

You okay over there @YouRams? It seems a little early in the week to be on the strong liquor? 

No, in all seriousness I think the only one of those that will happen will be promotion this year. Warne is too much marmite for our fan base and not convinced Collins will hit 20 (more like mid teens along with Waggy and potentially Barks if he stays fit) 

14 hours ago, Kernow said:

We are not missing his goals but we are missing his class and guile at home to create openings for others.

We, along with Bolton, have the most prolific strike force in the league this season. Barnsley also have 12 goals from their strikers, 9 from one player, but have played a game more. 

Oxford and Portsmouth trail behind, Portsmouth 8 goals and Oxford only 4. Oxford’s top goalscorer is a left back/midfielder but they’ve had 11 different scorers so far this season. In comparison we have 7, Bolton 5.

Goals from strikers aren’t a problem, it’s getting the midfield to increase their share that will be important. 

Waghorn, Collins and Washington are on for 55 goals this season at their current pace if they manage to keep it up.