Happy with season so far

B4ev6is

Well guys it has been mixed starts but not total sure but I think we are ahead on points than we were last season but performances need improving that's for sure but one thing is for sure if we want promation they cant also be pretty you grind out results out or fight for points on the pitch.

And with max bird on the return ward to even houriane coming back with attacking opapions on return.

What do you guys think.

Just taking the corresponding fixtures from last season that we've already had this season...

Teams              result last season    result this      points last season        points this

Burton /Rams          1-1                          0-3                       1                                3

Rams / Oxford          1-0                         1-2                        3                               0

Rams / Fleetwood    0-2                        1-0                        0                                3

Posh / Rams             2-0                         2-4                       0                                3

Bolton / Rams          0-0                         2-1                         1                                0 

Rams Pompey         1-1                           1-1                         1                                 1

TOTAL                                                                                   6                                 10

We are 4 points ahead of where we were last season in those games. No reason not to be happy in a results based game. We'd all like to see more football like that 20 odd minute spell at Peterborough. IMO injuries haven't helped and better play will come once we are back to a fully fit squad. IMO. Not in every game and not for 90 minutes. That is not going to happen.

As you say, it's been a bit of a mixed start and performances haven't been great, but it's always going to need a decent block of games to see how things are working out - 10 minimum I'd say. It's been good to see us win some games where we've not looked quite on our game. We've also had a few tough games on paper so perhaps that along with seemingly constant injuries is hampering us.

I think though that I'd be happier seeing is us dominating games a bit more. I don't want to see endless backwards and sideways passing and no end product but I'd like to see us control things better and let other teams run themselves ragged trying to close us down. It's strange that our best football has been played in very small bursts. For example, the two goals against Lincoln were snapping passing moves and it shows that this team are capable of playing some good incisive stuff so why does it look so underwhelming for most of the rest of the time ?

Perhaps as we get a settled side and a bit of momentum and confidence then the football will flow a little more easily. Let's hope so.

28 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Just taking the corresponding fixtures from last season that we've already had this season...

Teams              result last season    result this      points last season        points this

Burton /Rams          1-1                          0-3                       1                                3

Rams / Oxford          1-0                         1-2                        3                               0

Rams / Fleetwood    0-2                        1-0                        0                                3

Posh / Rams             2-0                         2-4                       0                                3

Bolton / Rams          0-0                         2-1                         1                                0 

Rams Pompey         1-1                           1-1                         1                                 1

TOTAL                                                                                   6                                 10

We are 4 points ahead of where we were last season in those games. No reason not to be happy in a results based game. We'd all like to see more football like that 20 odd minute spell at Peterborough. IMO injuries haven't helped and better play will come once we are back to a fully fit squad. IMO. Not in every game and not for 90 minutes. That is not going to happen.

You can safely ignore results, they are just noise.

chances 22/23    chances 23/24

Burton a              -0.5            +4.5

Oxford h             +1.5              0

Fleetwood h       -1.5             -0.5

Peterborough a  -1.5            -1.5

Bolton a              +2.5           ~-0.5 without red    

Portsmouth h     +2.5           -2

Total                   +3                0

Entire season     +2.05pg     +0.31pg

16 minutes ago, ap04 said:

That might be the funniest thing anyone's ever written on this forum.

I'd optimistically hoped we'd take League One by the scruff of the neck this season and be top two from the start, especially with Ipswich and Sheff Weds promoted and weak clubs coming down from the Championship. While I accept injuries haven't helped, I'm not actually happy with the season so far, although a decent run would see us near the top of the league quite quickly.

Edited by TheHomunculusLives

What position would we be in if we take the last 20 league games?

The mid table position there will be a better indication of how bad we are.

Play well and don't get points - fine, something to build on.

Play badly but get points - great, keeps the manager in a job for longer.

Play badly and don't get good enough results - often ends up with the manager being sacked.

Sadly - we cannot afford to do that either. So its status quo - we're a solid 6-10th place team in this league. Budget suggests we should be top. That is on the manager for me.

1 hour ago, David said:

Got to be sarcasm, refuse to believe it could be anything else.

More like sabotage.

Be as ridiculous as possible with the use of xG so that it becomes a joke, and anyone using the stat properly in future is immediately undermined and their opinion can be dismissed.

Clever, but not that clever.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 hours ago, ap04 said:

OK to save the guesswork, who is it you support 🤔

3 hours ago, ap04 said:

Said countless managers to their chairman just before they were fired 

Feel the season is just starting for us. Will be very interesting to see who starts once the injured players return. I feel with our current squad, not only should we have a strong starting 11 but we should have some excellent replacements available on the bench.

Dare I say it but quietly optimistic for the remainder of the season (famous last words).

For somebody who many people think can’t attract quality players to the club, I feel Paul Warne and co have done an excellent job in putting together our current squad. Just a matter of getting the best out of them now.

Not an electric start but I’m ok with some parts and where we sit presently, away from home we are picking up wins which is important if you want promotion, we haven't been good at home and it’s vital we sort that out as are our performances which to be fair to the warne out posters hasn’t been anywhere near good enough but a decent manager can sort that and really be in the mix for top 2 with this squad , we are moving into the point where we find out what warne has got , my gut is he will get us right in the mix though it won’t always be pretty , wins wins wins , that’s what he has to produce , the rest is just window dressing , 3 points Saturday and a decent performance could really steady the ship and see us go on a run , here’s hoping 🤞

Edited by Archied

On 26/09/2023 at 00:14, B4ev6is said:

Well guys it has been mixed starts but not total sure but I think we are ahead on points than we were last season but performances need improving that's for sure but one thing is for sure if we want promation they cant also be pretty you grind out results out or fight for points on the pitch.

And with max bird on the return ward to even houriane coming back with attacking opapions on return.

What do you guys think.

Im sorry but with the squad we have I think it's been a poor start with some of the worst football ive seen over the years

Can only get better