Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 points dropped this. After a promising first half display, I had hoped for us to build on that in the second half. We flattered to deceive. It all just fizzled out, into a tepid uninspired second half performance. Subs were late and wrong. Failed to change the flow of the game. Really disappointed with that, I enjoyed the first half and thought that more of the same in the second half would have won the game. Can’t fault the players today, management team cost us with poor tactical reactions to how the game was going. 

Started well enough and should probably have put this to bed inside 45 minutes. Lost our way in the last 30 and ultimately a disappointing and frustrating result. I'd hoped for more to be honest, against modest opposition and at home. We need to click and click soon, or things will turn toxic in a hurry.

2 minutes ago, Miggins said:

So frustrating! We have played so much better in this game and seem to have turned the corner. I feel disappointed with the result but happier with the performance. It's been a memorable match for the respect and support shown to Josh and Laura. I don't think the boo's were deserved. There was more effort but the last quarter was disappointing. It should have been a Derby win but Cambridge are a better team than they were last season.

I wonder if the boos were half-directed at the officials - the usual silly little obvious but less significant decisions against us and the decision to play 3 minutes added time despite easily as many stoppages as in other games where we've played double that.

We may have played much better (in parts) in this game but I'm not sure we played that well, for all that. It isn't just a case of fine tuning. We set up to play with wingers and I counted one decent cross all afternoon.

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Started well enough and should probably have put this to bed inside 45 minutes. Lost our way in the last 30 and ultimately a disappointing and frustrating result. I'd hoped for more to be honest, against modest opposition and at home. We need to click and click soon, or things will turn toxic in a hurry.

This week it was better performance, poorer result, last week was poor performance good result, hopefully we strike a balance soon of good performance and good results or the boo brigade will get louder

1 minute ago, jameso said:

I wonder if the boos were half-directed at the officials - the usual silly little obvious but less significant decisions against us and the decision to play 3 minutes added time despite easily as many stoppages as in other games where we've played double that.

We may have played much better (in parts) in this game but I'm not sure we played that well, for all that. It isn't just a case of fine tuning. We set up to play with wingers and I counted one decent cross all afternoon.

Wouldn't have mattered if the ref played an extra 30 minutes, we weren't going to be scoring. 

Re the officials, yes they're sh*te at this level, but good teams will batter the likes of Cambridge to the extent that the officials' performance is largely irrelevant. Sadly, we don't fit into that bracket so every little decision counts.

We're mid-table, and that's exactly the team we have, a mid-table team, playing mid-table football, with mid-table tactics. If this is the height of our ambition then what delights we have to look forward to..... 🙄

6 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

2 points dropped this. After a promising first half display, I had hoped for us to build on that in the second half. We flattered to deceive. It all just fizzled out, into a tepid uninspired second half performance. Subs were late and wrong. Failed to change the flow of the game. Really disappointed with that, I enjoyed the first half and thought that more of the same in the second half would have won the game. Can’t fault the players today, management team cost us with poor tactical reactions to how the game was going. 

You can fault the players, and you can fault Warne. The players on the pitch didn’t create enough or take their few opportunities. Warne then got the timing and personnel wrong when it came to the subs. It is 2 points dropped, by all involved. 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This week it was better performance, poorer result, last week was poor performance good result, hopefully we strike a balance soon of good performance and good results or the boo brigade will get louder

It's true although to be fair if we'd played at home like we played away at Carlisle that would be pretty disastrous, since it involved letting the opponent dictate a lot of the play. You'd expect us to dominate against Cambridge, but they soaked up what we had (which was mostly one-dimensional or ineffective) and were fortunate that we cocked up a pretty easy opening at the beginning.

The one thing that does look to be working well is the defence. It's still frustrating that we couldn't find a way past theirs though.