History repeating itself

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Isn’t that what pre season is for?

4 new players in yesterdays starting 11, by the way. It is hardly a revolution

Yes but Id think he'd be getting his starting 11 bedded in during pre season. 

I'm sure you'll be aware he has had a lot of injuries to deal with since this point too.

4 players is over 1/3rd of the team, that's a pretty sizeable amount and showed as there was not much understanding between the players.

Not defending the performance by the way, it was awful.

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think that is extremely unlikely.

Warne wasn't brought in to produce champagne football,Clowes knew exactly what style of play PW would be bringing here.

The gaffer wanted a rebuild of the club from top to bottom.We were absolutely on our arses before the buy out,the academy was decimated,moor farm was physically deteriorating and staff morale was on the floor.

Clowes no doubt believed that warne was the man to remedy the majority of those issues and his ethos to club life appears to align with his.

So,I think,at least whilst the club is being gradually 'repaired' that he will stick with pw,even if that means mid to upper obscurity in this shitty league for this season at least.

I'm no big fan of pw football( or of the crap played under roseniors brief tenure) I'm a Mac 1&2 fan through and through with all the lovely gameplay and flair that it brings,but I do recognise what the owner is trying to achieve and all of this hand wringing and whining on the forums that we aren't being entertained isn't going to change clowes medium and long term plans.

So we need to get used to this reality i.m.o,get behind the manager and team and suck it up,this is going to be a long if slightly tedious job....but better than the alternative we faced a short time ago.

Fans won't put up with this for another 3 years i can tell you that. I see a massive drop in season tickets next season if this carries on. Im like you where roseniors football wasn't all that great either. We go to football games to be entertained or at least see development and a style of play we can see what we are doing. Only problem with this logic is in the year hes been in charge i have absolutely no idea what the plan is. 

He's harped on about pressing and winning the ball up high yet we don't press and he has had a summer to bring his players in and has brought in players that by all accounts don't press. He wanted legs in the team and has bought in players who don't have the legs. He wanted pace and again has bought in players with no pace. I could go on. 

4 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

On long balls, Portsmouth actually attempted slightly more than us 72 or which 33 were successful.

Derby attempted 68, and were successful just 13 times...

Very interesting - thank you for sharing.  So, only one in five of our long balls was successful compared to nearly half for Pompey!  That’s a huge difference.

21 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Fans won't put up with this for another 3 years i can tell you that. I see a massive drop in season tickets next season if this carries on. Im like you where roseniors football wasn't all that great either. We go to football games to be entertained or at least see development and a style of play we can see what we are doing. Only problem with this logic is in the year hes been in charge i have absolutely no idea what the plan is. 

He's harped on about pressing and winning the ball up high yet we don't press and he has had a summer to bring his players in and has brought in players that by all accounts don't press. He wanted legs in the team and has bought in players who don't have the legs. He wanted pace and again has bought in players with no pace. I could go on. 

Please don’t 😂

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe because he is bedding in players that have not played together much...just a thought?

Lol. Maybe he is not sticking with a system and is constantly chopping and changing where he plays players, they can't play together much as they are hardly ever together! 😄

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes but Id think he'd be getting his starting 11 bedded in during pre season. 

I'm sure you'll be aware he has had a lot of injuries to deal with since this point too.

4 players is over 1/3rd of the team, that's a pretty sizeable amount and showed as there was not much understanding between the players.

Not defending the performance by the way, it was awful.

But that is assuming that 4 of the 4 can't manage to figure out what is going on after how much time together?!

The endless sideways at the back from Clement, Cocu, Rosenior was I would say equally as unpopular with the fanbase from my memory.

As someone said if it leads to success then this is what counts.

Hence Billy Davis ball is the last time we were truly successful which was pretty pragmatic and simple.

10 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

The endless sideways at the back from Clement, Cocu, Rosenior was I would say equally as unpopular with the fanbase from my memory.

As someone said if it leads to success then this is what counts.

Hence Billy Davis ball is the last time we were truly successful which was pretty pragmatic and simple.

But we were all salivating over Giles Barnes skinning people alive, and (duh duh duh duh) Stevie Howard banging them in. Even pragmatic can be fun.

I think most managers would be capable of getting us promoted from this dreadful league - yes the third division and hopefully Warne will do just that and me personally I would thank him and say goodbye at that point but unfortunately the last of the players who most think can play actual football will have left which sadness me greatly 

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm no big fan of pw football( or of the crap played under roseniors brief tenure) I'm a Mac 1&2 fan through and through with all the lovely gameplay and flair that it brings,but I do recognise what the owner is trying to achieve and all of this hand wringing and whining on the forums that we aren't being entertained isn't going to change clowes medium and long term plans.

So we need to get used to this reality i.m.o,get behind the manager and team and suck it up,this is going to be a long if slightly tedious job....but better than the alternative we faced a short time ago.

Given the thread is called "History repeating itself" why not try and bring Mac back for another go? I expect it would give the players as well as the fans a lift. I don't see that they can be enjoying this.

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Given the thread is called "History repeating itself" why not try and bring Mac back for another go? I expect it would give the players as well as the fans a lift. I don't see that they can be enjoying this.

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

I wish......but I can't imagine him leaving man United,just to run the gauntlet of the plan b critics in 6 months time when we lose two games in a row (despite being top of the league)

Tough crowd.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure I get this “can’t handle a big club with high expectations theory”. Our only expectation at the moment is to get out of league 1 - exactly the same as Rotherham’s expectations were when he was manager there surely? If he was trying to manage Premier League players with their over hyped egos then I could understand it but not when he’s, on the whole, managing lower end Championship and league 1 players.

I reckon it’s nothing to do with the size of the club or its expectations but, assuming he doesn’t succeed at Derby, it will just be another case of a manager being successful at club A but then failing at club B for no apparent reason. It seems to happen all the time. Knowing our luck, he’ll get the sack from Derby and then take one of our rivals to the Championship ahead of us.

Get out of League one….

Which way!revteamoriginals2019 abi bock GIF by Originals

On 17/09/2023 at 16:04, Barney1991 said:

mother complain GIF Believe me you do go on and on and on

On 17/09/2023 at 16:04, Barney1991 said:

I want Cameron Diaz, doesnt mean I'm going to get her. 

Sometimes you have to be aware that the pond you're fishing in might not have the fish that you'd like to catch.

Other than Bradley and Nelson, who are both old fashioned centre backs, I'd say all of the other new signings possess at least one of the qualities that Warne is looking for, which ones do you think don't?