Jonson Clarke-Harris - Joined Rotherham

DCFC1388

33 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Like who ? 

No one in particular- but you seemed to be saying the problem with JCH wasn’t that he is fat, but that he is too fat 🤣

His move to Bristol Rovers fell through. 

Interesting dynamic now. Does he sign a new contract at posh? Or do they have to accept an even lower bid in Jan? Or do they keep him and hope he can fire them to the championship? Kinda the same predicament we have with Cash. Bet DMac is gutted.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

And Derby with saleable assets in a position to pounce in January should we feel the need. 

If we were in the top two in January I would be expecting automatic promotion and then we would need a better forward for the championship so would be wanting to buy better than him with that in mind.

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

If we were in the top two in January I would be expecting automatic promotion and then we would need a better forward for the championship so would be wanting to buy better than him with that in mind.

Strikers banging them in at Championship level don’t come cheap 🤔 I think for a million he might have been worth the risk, especially if a staged payment could have been agreed plus add ins for promotion etc

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Strikers banging them in at Championship level don’t come cheap 🤔 I think for a million he might have been worth the risk, especially if a staged payment could have been agreed plus add ins for promotion etc

Yes maybe but Peterborough we’re not selling him to us for £1 million in the summer window even if we actually had a spare £1 million to spend plus wages for that kind of player.

Just now, Sparkle said:

Yes maybe but Peterborough we’re not selling him to us for £1 million in the summer window even if we actually had a spare £1 million to spend plus wages for that kind of player.

Really 🤔 Our ITK sources say we have been in talks with Posh for weeks about him and there was genuine interest. Perhaps they got their wires crossed 😊

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Really 🤔 Our ITK sources say we have been in talks with Posh for weeks about him and there was genuine interest. Perhaps they got their wires crossed 😊

I am sure we we’re interested in him but Peterborough we’re not selling to us unless we paid them what they wanted and not what they agreed with Bristol rovers

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2023 at 12:35, Sparkle said:

I am sure we we’re interested in him but Peterborough we’re not selling to us unless we paid them what they wanted and not what they agreed with Bristol rovers

We were never in for him according to Warne. Our ITK sources saying we were in talks with Posh for weeks were totally wide of the mark 🤔

I would have liked JCH but kind of agree with Warne in that if Posh wanted over 1 Million then he'd clearly offer very little resale.  Much would depend on the structure of any deal, but a player with his record in League 1 then I feel we should have been looking at him as an option.  Guess we will not know for sure. 

As you said, it might be a case of 'I never fancied him anyway' and you return in the summer when I think he will be out of contract - but it depends what Division we are in.  

I like the fact Warne infers the need to cast the net further a field and look at youngers, overseas or non league players who could step up, although we've not seen much of this from his dealings so far.

Cheers 

Gangway D from the Terrace 

1 minute ago, GangwayD said:

I would have liked JCH but kind of agree with Warne in that if Posh wanted over 1 Million then he'd clearly offer very little resale.  Much would depend on the structure of any deal, but a player with his record in League 1 then I feel we should have been looking at him as an option.  Guess we will not know for sure. 

As you said, it might be a case of 'I never fancied him anyway' and you return in the summer when I think he will be out of contract - but it depends what Division we are in.  

I like the fact Warne infers the need to cast the net further a field and look at youngers, overseas or non league players who could step up, although we've not seen much of this from his dealings so far.

Cheers 

Gangway D from the Terrace 

I agree, and the fee wasn’t as much as many were suggesting. He’d have given us a good three seasons even if no resale. So we could have signed him as an area we are still short of quality in. Warne says he wants to attack and prioritises that over being run through midfield on the break. So we could have weighted our signings around him? 
Would swap Bradley and a.n.other for him!

Warne can't win here, on one hand he's getting slaughtered for having an old team, here we are wanting to sign another player that will be in his 30's next year.

It's ok saying swap for Bradley, yet at the time he was another that had many excited and urging the club to announce him despite being old. 367 minutes on the pitch for us later, nah should have got this other guy instead in our old folks corner quota.

Come on now.

Warne's style of player requires younger, fitter players that can cover the ground pressing the opposition, he admitted to not even wanting Waghorn to begin with, came across like his personality won the contract more than anything and a pretty cheap deal at that.

A million pounds is a million pounds, that's a big fee down this level and no doubt want the wages to match. Dead money.

Feels like the club have taken note of what we have done in the past, thought we need to be doing things differently and more sensible, yet some of us haven't learnt any lessons.

So yeah, I'm with Warne on this one and glad we went with Waghorn on a year than JCH for a million on a 3 year deal. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

Warne can't win here, on one hand he's getting slaughtered for having an old team, here we are wanting to sign another player that will be in his 30's next year.

It's ok saying swap for Bradley, yet at the time he was another that had many excited and urging the club to announce him despite being old. 367 minutes on the pitch for us later, nah should have got this other guy instead in our old folks corner quota.

Come on now.

Warne's style of player requires younger, fitter players that can cover the ground pressing the opposition, he admitted to not even wanting Waghorn to begin with, came across like his personality won the contract more than anything and a pretty cheap deal at that.

A million pounds is a million pounds, that's a big fee down this level and no doubt want the wages to match. Dead money.

Feels like the club have taken note of what we have done in the past, thought we need to be doing things differently and more sensible, yet some of us haven't learnt any lessons.

So yeah, I'm with Warne on this one and glad we went with Waghorn on a year than JCH for a million on a 3 year deal. 

Warne tends to be pretty open and honest and says we weren’t in for him and I believe him.

22 minutes ago, David said:

Come on now.

Its not the age is it but the lack of pace.

Warne wins when Derby win. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not pace, although having more in the team is never a bad thing. Pace also declines with age anyway.

He spoke about athletes, winning the ball back from the opposition as soon as possible, you need legs to do that and the older you are the more those legs tire. Was even used as a possible reason for the poor form to end last season, burn out.

It's why you see players change position as they become older, Forsyth for example hasn't got the legs to get up and down the left side as he did under McClaren. Even at the top of the game Ronaldo moved more central.

Off camera I'm sure Warne would tell you he's not entirely happy with this squad, admitting it's difficult as the prices over here are expensive right now, which £1m for a 29 year old in League 1 is. 

With rebuilding the academy squads, we just need to be that bit more wiser than we have been in the past when spending the money that we have, not spending for spending sake. Prime example taking Waghorn instead on a free which so far looks like a great bit of free business.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Paul McGrath had neither on his side when he joined us? 

I still think Bradley could come good with time. If he can come into a relatively settled side where the others around him know their roles, I think his performances will sharply improve. I think he's been the biggest victim of the radical change in shape and style, and the confusion this has visibly cast over the whole team early on this season.