Jonson Clarke-Harris - Joined Rotherham

DCFC1388

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Paul McGrath had neither on his side when he joined us? 

I still think Bradley could come good with time. If he can come into a relatively settled side where the others around him know their roles, I think his performances will sharply improve. I think he's been the biggest victim of the radical change in shape and style, and the confusion this has visibly cast over the whole team early on this season. 

Match sharpness will be an issue as well, he played the last 5 Championship league games for Luton, prior to that the last time he played 90 minutes was back in October last year.

Starts the first 2 games for us, plays the full 90 minutes, looks off it and finds himself on the bench, now with Rooney out he will find himself back in the team on a needs must, just hope the fans get off his back and don't give him the Harry Maguire treatment. He's going to need that time to find his feet in this team.

It's the project promotion paradox. If we're going all out to get out of the league this year, you spend the money. The Morris approach, that nearly binned off an entire club because when it goes wrong, it's catastrophic. If he's interested in resale value, then he's obviously got a plan beyond this season and you've got to imagine he's got Clowes' support for that.

That said, I don't think JCH was the right player for us. His game revolves around getting the ball out to pacey players around him, then being in the right place to capitalise. We don't have the pace and Warne would expect a lot more pressing and work from him.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Match sharpness will be an issue as well, he played the last 5 Championship league games for Luton, prior to that the last time he played 90 minutes was back in October last year.

Starts the first 2 games for us, plays the full 90 minutes, looks off it and finds himself on the bench, now with Rooney out he will find himself back in the team on a needs must, just hope the fans get off his back and don't give him the Harry Maguire treatment. He's going to need that time to find his feet in this team.

The Maguire comparison is spot on, as with Bradley the criticism has felt a little over the top. I get that his signing was really hyped up, but understanding the context, it was always likely he'd need a little time to settle and find his feet. A big mistake leading directly to a goal on his debut really won't have helped, as will not having pacey defenders either side of him to help bail him out when needed.

I thought the looked class in pre-season though- great positional awareness, solid blocking, just looked a good defender. Confidence is key in football and I think the lack of proper match fitness, as you said, coupled with the big dent that will have come from that mistake will have hindered his progress. No reason that can't change though, one commanding performance and the tide will quickly turn. Fingers crossed it comes soon!

25 minutes ago, David said:

Hoping Smith moves to RB and we can keep Neldson Cashin & Fozzy line up. Bradley is so poor he makes Albentosa look a star. 

19 hours ago, Magicman said:

Hoping Smith moves to RB and we can keep Neldson Cashin & Fozzy line up. Bradley is so poor he makes Albentosa look a star. 

Get off his back …he hasn’t started well with a couple of costly errors …but I’ve still seen some good things from him so try backing the fella ffs 

5 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Get off his back …he hasn’t started well with a couple of costly errors …but I’ve still seen some good things from him so try backing the fella ffs 

We all entitled to an opinion. In mine he is a duff signing and like Keogh prone to errors under pressure. 

48 minutes ago, Magicman said:

We all entitled to an opinion. In mine he is a duff signing and like Keogh prone to errors under pressure. 

You are entitled to your opinion; but when it's based on a combined total of 322 minutes on the pitch for a new signing coming off the back of an injury and settling into a imbalanced system, don't be surprised if people think you're being ridiculously harsh. 

5 hours ago, Magicman said:

Keogh was an excellent player for us with the occasional error just like every other defender in football but his leaving and the way it all happened was extremely sad 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Full marks for consistency. I don't think I've seen a single positive post from you about the club, nor any player for that matter, since you joined the forum. 

I must admit I never understand the negativity towards the club / personnel. If football and its management was an exact science then the likes of Luton, Bournemouth etc [for instance] would never be anything other than League 2 clubs. There's a saying that says "every dog has its day" and it's true. We will get back to the Prem at some point in the future... l don't know when...and no doubt there will be a bit of luck behind it....and in the meantime we keep supporting the club we love...and remembering that sh1t happens...

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I must admit I never understand the negativity towards the club / personnel. If football and its management was an exact science then the likes of Luton, Bournemouth etc [for instance] would never be anything other than League 2 clubs. There's a saying that says "every dog has its day" and it's true. We will get back to the Prem at some point in the future... l don't know when...and no doubt there will be a bit of luck behind it....and in the meantime we keep supporting the club we love...and remembering that sh1t happens...

Hope it’s soon. I’ll be 78 next year! Can’t hang around forever