Jonson Clarke-Harris

DCFC1388

Just now, i-Ram said:

If he scored 26 and McGoldrick 24 in the division last season it tells me that a well balanced team is more likely what is needed to get out of the league. How many league goals did Plymouth’s top scorer get?

I see your point and I'm going to swerve it because, in my opinion, what this team needs to get out of this league is someone clinical up top who has done it in this league. I don't think any of our current forwards offer that at the moment. I'm not so much concerned with what other teams did/didn't do, just on what our current sides needs.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I see your point and I'm going to swerve it because, in my opinion, what this team needs to get out of this league is someone clinical up top who has done it in this league. I don't think any of our current forwards offer that at the moment. I'm not so much concerned with what other teams did/didn't do, just on what our current sides needs.

Your opinion is equally as valid as mine. Probably more so as we are unlikely to try to play football like Plymouth.

I don’t know why I keep seeing people say on twitter etc. that’s he’s to old to spend money on and that he’s near 30 ffs he turned 29 last month, for example if we signed him on a 4 year contract he’d start his fourth season (26/27 season) younger than Waghorn is now, and he’s not doin half bad. 

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Your opinion is equally as valid as mine. Probably more so as we are unlikely to try to play football like Plymouth.

Exactly!

At the risk of upsetting the Warne-fans, our gameplan seems pretty straight-forward, perhaps even a bit one dimensional, at the moment:

- Get it down the flanks (or forward quickly), get the ball in the box a lot and trust in the forwards to do the rest.

If that's the plan, I can't see why anyone wouldn't want JCH in that role for us. More capable than anyone in our team at scoring goals, and arguably more capable than any other forward in this league.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Agreed. It's not as if we haven't improved (or tried to) all areas of the team, for the sake of a star signing. This does not look like a Bielik-style wreckless punt, because we have already brought in 9 players and there is a better balance in the squad.

To be top 2 we need to increase our chances of scoring regularly and this move increases that probability.

If it relies on the Cashin money, we need to have a replacement and if they are similarly tenacious but more mobile, that could improve us there too. 

However, if we lose out on JCH ( surely a championship club would be in), it will be interesting to see who is next on the list.

He would be our youngest contracted forward.

He’d be the most prolific consistent scorer we have, scoring double figures for 5 seasons straight.

He’d be the least risky as he never seems to be injured playing over 40 games every season for the last few. 

He would be our best target man and back to goal striker to hold it up

He’s no slouch and can bully CB’s 

No idea why if we had the budget anyone would be against this tbh

3 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Agreed. It's not as if we haven't improved (or tried to) all areas of the team, for the sake of a star signing. This does not look like a Bielik-style wreckless punt, because we have already brought in 9 players and there is a better balance in the squad.

To be top 2 we need to increase our chances of scoring regularly and this move increases that probability.

If it relies on the Cashin money, we need to have a replacement and if they are similarly tenacious but more mobile, that could improve us there too. 

However, if we lose out on JCH ( surely a championship club would be in), it will be interesting to see who is next on the list.

Totally agree with you. Ultimately, it's pretty simple:

We need to get out of this league this season. 

If we're going to do that, we need to add goals to this team. Waggy has done well in the last few games but I don't trust that to be consistent for us and I doubt anyone else does, really.

If we can make money off Cashin, and maybe keep him for a season as well, why not spend a bit of that money on adding loads of firepower up front this season!

27 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He's not exactly the type of high energy, high pressing forward that Warne seems favour, but you can't argue with his goals record at this level can you.

I'm not as against spending ~£1m on a 29-year old as some people seem to be, as long as it's for the right player.

The aim of the game is promotion after all and it's not like we've been paying transfer fees for any other 29+ year olds so I really don't see the comparison to our former ownership regime.

I don't see this happening, but at least it's going to potentially provide some "deadline day drama" for everybody.

This was my thinking. Warne talked a lot about running and sprinting in pre-season and being relentless in the press.

Watching JCH on Saturday, he barely seemed to move. Obviously, I haven’t seen his stats and he might have covered 14km but I tend to doubt it 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I did have a look on Bristol Rovers' forum and a few different people were of the opinion that we had come to the table late, which was prior to Witcoop annoucement. It's his mrs who lives in Bristol and which is why he wants to move down there (apparently). They have 50 page thread about him - small-time compared to our 500 page one about George Thorne! 

I was laughing at how bitter they were towards us. Saying how we need a good credit score before being able to pay for any players. How we are cheats and how David Clowes doesn’t have any money in the first place to buy him. Felt like making an account and telling their fans who support a small club with a 3 stand stadium they shouldn’t have this much entitlement considering they’ve got a thug as their manager.

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let's say the figure is £1m. Half of that could be promotion based with the rest being made up of appearance and goal add-ons. Would that be too bad?

Peterborough have a decent track record in getting optimum value for their players in my opinion.

The good thing here is that whether we get him or not, at some point or not, their chairman will probably blab away on Twitter that DCFC put in a bid and therefore we will know there maybe is some money to spend.

In Warnes press conference today, I think he will rule out the move considering at the start of the window Leigh Curtis ruled out Derby signing anyone near the million pound mark in one of his Q+A’ s. I can see us getting a couple of loans in, my guess one will be Cosgrove and the other being a wingback. Tarique Fosu is someone I hope we sign but I feel like a struggling championship team will come in for him. James Collins will leave on loan. 

56 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I know, whatever were we thinking when we spent 1 million on a 29/30 year old Steve Howard.

It's a different era though. Look at most of the successful teams nowadays. They scout and buy younger players and turn a profit by selling them to keep afloat of FFP rules. 

We need to go to that model and not spend big fees on prime aged footballers. Everyone thinks a million quid isn't a lot of money. For league one that's a big fee. Unless we fund the move from a Cashin sale then I'm completely against the idea. We've got to balance the books properly.

9 minutes ago, Jram said:

This was my thinking. Warne talked a lot about running and sprinting in pre-season and being relentless in the press.

Watching JCH on Saturday, he barely seemed to move. Obviously, I haven’t seen his stats and he might have covered 14km but I tend to doubt it 

Interesting point, although this could be due to the way he is asked to play, rather than his ability and willingness to do so. It could be a concern or a reason that Warne may not actually be looking to sign him. Obviously BigTrav's comments suggest otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Jram said:

Players can run around a lot but I would prefer one that can find the onion bag 😊

12 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Players can run around a lot but I would prefer one that can find the onion bag 😊

Yes, as long as we can get the ball to him often enough. Just have to hope Ward and Wilson come back in good form to back up NML.

Assuming Cashin goes to fund new signings we would need a more mobile CB and an attacking midfielder. Plus a RB.

So I personally think we might stick with the strikers we have (we have four including Collins) and hope they can share 50 plus goals between now and the end of the season. 

Whilst this signing would be exciting, and probably give us the best strike force in the league on paper, I don’t think I’d be rushing to the bookies to put my life savings on us to get promoted if JCH does sign.

He has a great recent record at this division. Even at Pboro in the Championship, he wasn’t *that* bad. 12 goals in a relegated side is OK.

His career looks like a reverse of Jordan Rhodes’ on a less prolific level. Scored basically nothing before going to Bristol Rovers and then hasn’t stopped scoring since.

Even with Warne at Rotherham, he didn’t make it in to double figures in 70 odd appearances. You could argue that he’s matured, developed, in his prime now etc., I just don’t think it absolutely guarantees goals. Nobody does. 

If it financially works then I’m all for it. If we’re spaffing everything we’ve got on him then I might prefer to invest it somewhere that would give us a profit down the line.

JCH is only 29, he would probably get a 2 or 3 year contract and would probably expect this to be his biggest contract he’ll get in his career in terms of £pw.

Despite the record, it would be a gamble to spend the amount it would take to get him here at this level.