Waghorn and Washington will be vital

davenportram

Just watching on TV and live for the Sheff United game I get the impression that Waghorn will be a vital part of this season. 

when he comes on the team dynamic seems to change - maybe because of Washington coming on at the same time. But the whole ethos seems to become more attacking and more purposeful.

when match fit they could be a great starting partnership. Collins to the bench, m-l to left of a midfield 4 with Fossie left back (they seem a good partnership on the left with M-L pace covering when Fossie goes forward

11 minutes ago, davenportram said:

when match fit they could be a great starting partnership. Collins to the bench, m-l to left of a midfield 4 with Fossie left back (they seem a good partnership on the left with M-L pace covering when Fossie goes forward

I know it's a recent tradition not to have anyone on the left who can put in a proper cross (except for Fozzie, some of the time) but I will be in a permanent state of agitation if NML has to play left-wing. He already spends too much time in the left half of the pitch looking for a new home. He needs to be guided back to his old one, on the right.

I think, fwiw, that we still have a good team, if they were played correctly.  Waghorn and Washington up, would be a good partnership, with either Sibley or Barkhuisen at no. 10.  I wouldn't start NML personally; very limited footballer but would scare a number of tiring defenders coming on after 65 minutes.

The three in midfield are all good midfielders for L1, and I would add Ward and Thompson to the choices; they just need better options and movement up front. Waghorn, Washington, Sibley and Barkhuisen move far better, and create space and passing options, than Collins and NML. They will certainly score more goals. 

Defence - we just need a 4 who can be solid. Surely Bradley and Nelson have to be better than what we have seen to date?

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think, fwiw, that we still have a good team, if they were played correctly.  Waghorn and Washington up, would be a good partnership, with either Sibley or Barkhuisen at no. 10.  I wouldn't start NML personally; very limited footballer but would scare a number of tiring defenders coming on after 65 minutes.

The three in midfield are all good midfielders for L1, and I would add Ward and Thompson to the choices; they just need better options and movement up front. Waghorn, Washington, Sibley and Barkhuisen move far better, and create space and passing options, than Collins and NML. They will certainly score more goals. 

Defence - we just need a 4 who can be solid. Surely Bradley and Nelson have to be better than what we have seen to date?

Agreed. I’d like to see Waghorn and Washington start on Saturday, either as a two or a part of a front 3.

So a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, those two in the forward line, a solid defence whose primary job is to defend. And a midfield with just a little more intent to put their foot on the ball and pass. It’s not beyond impossible, just need Warne to accept defeat with his 3 at the back for now and get back to the basics of football.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

U turn mate !

Yes it was crying out for a partnership up front on Tuesday.

If we are going to play them I’d tell them both to get in the box. I don’t think their strengths are in deeper positions. 

When we get the ball wide and a player looks up, it’s so much easier to see at least two Derby players wanting the ball.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

In what way a u turn old chum?

I’m only joking mate. 
Bit like you do when you say I’m flip flopping.

Being a football fan is a fickle conflicting situation when you are losing lol. 

Hope we beat Fleetwood but then it’s on to Posh and Trotters away 

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

All good options about 4/5 years ago.

Thompson and Sibley are the only players that you’ve mentioned that have the legs for 46, 100 minute matches. Barkhuisen, Waghorn, Washington, Mendez lang, and Collins are on the downward trajectory and it would be unwise to pin all our hopes on them. 

2 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Thompson and Sibley are the only players that you’ve mentioned that have the legs for 46, 100 minute matches. Barkhuisen, Waghorn, Washington, Mendez lang, and Collins are on the downward trajectory and it would be unwise to pin all our hopes on them. 

It’s an older team which totally goes against what Warne said about recruitment last season 

Edited by Curtains
Changed

1 minute ago, deanoakaram4life said:

But they’re what we’ve got. So Warne has to get the most out of them unless he can sign someone else, that’s his job. It’s really tiring seeing people just turn every conversation into a dismissal of solutions and a focus on the problem.

The intent of this topic seemingly is to highlight that Waghorn and Washington can contribute to our season. They have both scored goals in their careers, they’ve both scored goals already this season, so it’s not a bad point being made. 
Starting with them as a pair brings a bit of movement, guile and finishing to the side that’s been apparent in their cameos. I say Warne should let them build a partnership, they’ll carry a goal threat, and if they tire in games as you suggest then you’ve got NML, Collins, Brown who can all come on and pick up the mantle. 

8 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I agree, but they are all we have. I think the squad can go up, although I have big worries about our defence. I just don't think Warne will play the players he has to their current strengths and abilities. This gas out, bang it wide and then into the box nonsence has to stop.

13 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I’m only joking mate. 
Bit like you do when you say I’m flip flopping.

Being a football fan is a fickle conflicting situation when you are losing lol. 

Hope we beat Fleetwood but then it’s on to Posh and Trotters away 

I like you flip flopping Curtains. You often make me smile one way or another. Keep the faith. Sack the Manager.

54 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But they’re what we’ve got. So Warne has to get the most out of them unless he can sign someone else, that’s his job. It’s really tiring seeing people just turn every conversation into a dismissal of solutions and a focus on the problem.

The intent of this topic seemingly is to highlight that Waghorn and Washington can contribute to our season. They have both scored goals in their careers, they’ve both scored goals already this season, so it’s not a bad point being made. 
Starting with them as a pair brings a bit of movement, guile and finishing to the side that’s been apparent in their cameos. I say Warne should let them build a partnership, they’ll carry a goal threat, and if they tire in games as you suggest then you’ve got NML, Collins, Brown who can all come on and pick up the mantle. 

That was the point being made in a poor way - if Warne continues to expect these players to press for 90-100 minutes then it's not going to work. The poster was just pointing out the way Warne plays - his demand for pressing won't work. So far what sign has he given that he's for turning? None last season when 'gassing out' was de rigour.

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Waghorn is currently technically our best forward.

Yep, I just said that. Lord help us.

Looked at a different way, he is a Championship (or above) player for many years and has taken a step down.

The McGoldrick factor is in play, as they have experience and they are objectively better players.  Waghorn might struggle in Championship, but take a step down and suddenly he appears to have improved.

I suspect had we been in Championship last year, McGoldrick would have been ordinary.  

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

It’s an older team which totally goes against what Warne said about recruitment last season 

True, but he could only get what was available within a budget constrained by so many things. We can’t buy this league because we can’t afford it. I think we need to be a bit accepting about age and recruitment “failings” and start working out how best to use what we’ve got. We do have good players for this level, they need to start playing as a team.

23 minutes ago, jono said:

True, but he could only get what was available within a budget constrained by so many things. We can’t buy this league because we can’t afford it. I think we need to be a bit accepting about age and recruitment “failings” and start working out how best to use what we’ve got. We do have good players for this level, they need to start playing as a team.

So why sign Nelson and Bradley? When there's Fozzy and Rooney for cover.

Why sign Wilson and Ward? When again Rooney or Bardell could cover.

Did we need to sign Vickers, or could Loach and an U21 cover?

It's how you spend your budget.

Why sign no pace? No CDM?