Waghorn and Washington will be vital

davenportram

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So why sign Nelson and Bradley? When there's Fozzy and Rooney for cover.

Why sign Wilson and Ward? When again Rooney or Bardell could cover.

Did we need to sign Vickers, or could Loach and an U21 cover?

It's how you spend your budget.

Why sign no pace? No CDM?

This 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The only thing is as fans we have to trust recruitment as we have no other option.  
In hindsight it looks like the decisions are all wrong .

I suppose there is still time for it to work though. 

I assume these signings were checked out 

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I think, fwiw, that we still have a good team, if they were played correctly.  Waghorn and Washington up, would be a good partnership, with either Sibley or Barkhuisen at no. 10.  I wouldn't start NML personally; very limited footballer but would scare a number of tiring defenders coming on after 65 minutes.

The three in midfield are all good midfielders for L1, and I would add Ward and Thompson to the choices; they just need better options and movement up front. Waghorn, Washington, Sibley and Barkhuisen move far better, and create space and passing options, than Collins and NML. They will certainly score more goals. 

Defence - we just need a 4 who can be solid. Surely Bradley and Nelson have to be better than what we have seen to date?

I’d agree with all of this barring the central midfield. 

Yes they are individually good midfielders for league 1, but they are a poor blend. 

We really lack a box to box midfielder and an influential poo house to complement Bird and Hourihane.

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The only thing is as fans we have to trust recruitment as we have no other option.  

It's not the quality it's the quantity as I suggested. Why couldn't he have spread the budget around?

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’d agree with all of this barring the central midfield. 

Yes they are individually good midfielders for league 1, but they are a poor blend. 

We really lack a box to box midfielder and an influential poo house to complement Bird and Hourihane.

But aren’t we spent up !

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Pace costs money. I doubt we have paid anything significant in fees. Wages yes, fees unlikely 

And we signed them because we needed players. We were short on numbers and then had departures. 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

Pace costs money. I doubt we have paid anything significant in fees. Wages yes, fees unlikely 

And we signed them because we needed players. We were short on numbers and then had departures. 

But I've just pointed out there wasn't a need for some of the signings, hence the money saved could be used for 'pace'. Not sure what we would use pace for anyway tbh. We'll be slinging balls into the box as our first and only attacking method.

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But I've just pointed out there wasn't a need for some of the signings, hence the money saved could be used for 'pace'. Not sure what we would use pace for anyway tbh. We'll be slinging balls into the box as our first and only attacking method.

There was a need for signings. We had had departures from an already small squad. We needed numbers. What were we to do ?

lose 6 players and recruit one bit of pace ?  (If anyone was actually available that fitted the bill at all and do we know if we were even allowed to spend money  ?) 

1 hour ago, jono said:

There was a need for signings. We had had departures from an already small squad. We needed numbers. What were we to do ?

lose 6 players and recruit one bit of pace ?  (If anyone was actually available that fitted the bill at all and do we know if we were even allowed to spend money  ?) 

It would only have been one player then? You are stretching your point to extremes. You said £14k/week for pace (or a similar comment) so that's only equivalent to two players and as I said did we need the extra cover we appear to have bought in defence.

So ages ago someone posted that they or a.n.other fan was behind the dugout and asked Warne about getting Ladapo in. He said he was on £16k/week at Ipswich, so no. Well there you go we could have tried for him (but having gotten away from Warne once him might not have been keen!) and less defenders plus used some of our youngsters like Rooney!

I do like the idea of Waghorn coming off Collins and Washington + NML playing as an inside forward. 

On paper that looks dangerous. Depends whether Warne is brave enough to swap formation and go for 4 attacking players.

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It would only have been one player then? You are stretching your point to extremes. You said £14k/week for pace (or a similar comment) so that's only equivalent to two players and as I said did we need the extra cover we appear to have bought in defence.

So ages ago someone posted that they or a.n.other fan was behind the dugout and asked Warne about getting Ladapo in. He said he was on £16k/week at Ipswich, so no. Well there you go we could have tried for him (but having gotten away from Warne once him might not have been keen!) and less defenders plus used some of our youngsters like Rooney!

Roy, I never mentioned pay at all. I was just responding to your point when you asked “why did we sign player x” think we might have crossed wires here ?

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Roy, I never mentioned pay at all. I was just responding to your point when you asked “why did we sign player x” think we might have crossed wires here ?

Ah okay, brain was still asleep. It looks like we signed a few of them to be good friends with the medical department! 😄

On 17/08/2023 at 13:52, Curtains said:

Would also assume that Warne had the final say. Last season we had a fairly decent squad for L1 that should have made the play offs, but ran out of steam and ideas in the run in. However, it wasn't a team recruited under Warne, so allowances were made. Clean slate this season for the manager and his staff. 

Edited by europia