So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we could afford any current Championship or League 1 manager.

• Lee Carsley (England U21) would probably be holding out for the main England job at this point. Even if he isn't chosen for that job, I doubt he would drop down to L1 level.
  • Luke Williams (Notts County) for the long term project. Someone I could see taking us all the way to the PL.
  • Gary Bowyer (unemployed, previously at Dundee) to build solid foundations and rebuild the link between the first team and academy
  • Paul Cook (Chesterfield). A difference in opinion led to him being sacked at Ipswich, but he's done well everywhere else.
  • Aaron Danks (Middlesbrough assistant manager) has been assistant for Kompany at Anderlecht, Dean Smith at Villa and now Carrick at Boro. Has also been involved with the England setup, having assisted Paul Simpson as they won the U20 World Cup in 2020, and then the  U21s in 20/21. The riskiest option I've listed, but has a good contact list and I think is worth taking a risk on. Another I could see growing with the club as taking us to the PL.

You don't think we could afford any current league 1 manager. So the managers of Fleetwood, Cheltenham, Burton, Shrewsbury, Leyton Orient etc. Are you mad?

2 hours ago, 8Leeds said:

Would love to know who it was we wanted before we appointed Paul. 

Have read various rumours posted on here by alleged ITK merchants that it was the Bolton manager but we either couldn't afford his compo or the compo of him and his backroom staff, take your pick 

Edited by Tyler Durden

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Have read various rumours posted on here by alleged ITK merchants that it was the Bolton manager but we either couldn't afford his compo or the compo of him and his backroom staff, take your pick 

Evatt?  Was he on a really long contract because you wouldn't have thought he was on much more than Warne  - bigger club than Rotherham but lower division and have had their own financial issues. 

5 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Evatt?  Was he on a really long contract because you wouldn't have thought he was on much more than Warne  - bigger club than Rotherham but lower division and have had their own financial issues. 

That's what a couple of posters alluded to on here. 

Whether its true or not that's another matter but they seemed sure in their ITK connections.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we could afford any current Championship or League 1 manager.

• Lee Carsley (England U21) would probably be holding out for the main England job at this point. Even if he isn't chosen for that job, I doubt he would drop down to L1 level.
  • Luke Williams (Notts County) for the long term project. Someone I could see taking us all the way to the PL.
  • Gary Bowyer (unemployed, previously at Dundee) to build solid foundations and rebuild the link between the first team and academy
  • Paul Cook (Chesterfield). A difference in opinion led to him being sacked at Ipswich, but he's done well everywhere else.
  • Aaron Danks (Middlesbrough assistant manager) has been assistant for Kompany at Anderlecht, Dean Smith at Villa and now Carrick at Boro. Has also been involved with the England setup, having assisted Paul Simpson as they won the U20 World Cup in 2020, and then the  U21s in 20/21. The riskiest option I've listed, but has a good contact list and I think is worth taking a risk on. Another I could see growing with the club as taking us to the PL.

Some good names on that list. Out of work managers who believe in themselves and could rebuild their reputations while taking us up through the divisions are surely:

• Graham Potter
  • Chris Wilder
  • Nathan Jones
  • Paul Lambert

Derby have sufficient potential that I wouldn't discount any of them. Salary heavily skewed towards promotion bonuses. Though McLaren tops my list.

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Some good names on that list. Out of work managers who believe in themselves and could rebuild their reputations while taking us up through the divisions are surely:

• Graham Potter
  • Chris Wilder
  • Nathan Jones
  • Paul Lambert

Derby have sufficient potential that I wouldn't discount any of them. Salary heavily skewed towards promotion bonuses. Though McLaren tops my list.

Graham Potter….who has turned down Lyon and Rangers 🤔

Not sure why people would want Chris Wilder. He looked lost at Middlesbrough and Watford after pretty much achieving all he wanted in management with his boyhood club at Sheff Utd. Pretty sure he will hang around for the Sheff Utd job again if he's needed/wanted but I would have a major red flags on his desire for our club to do it all over again from League 1.

If it was true about the Warne not being first choice makes me question the appointment even more. Why did we rush in hiring a manager that didn't immediately catch your eye when we were doing ok under Rosenior?

Luke Williams for me would be the natural choice. Plays attractive, progressive football (Kevin Keegan-ish scorelines at times) but any manager would need at least a year to bed in. That's why i'm willing to see where we are with Warne till the new year even though i have my doubts the performances will really improve. 

Edited by eddielewis

9 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

No one mentioned a statue. Are you so lacking in any sort of argument that you have to resort to ridiculous exaggerations of any defence of someone who steered us through a rough time in our history whilst improving year on year. 

Interesting that at a relatively big club in league 2 he’s been allowed the time he’s been given. Almost as if the chairman there thinks he’s doing a good job - 4 years with anyone in this day and age is nothing to be sniffed at. Managers do not get time. 

4 years and still in League 2, there's no defence, there doesn't even need to be an argument.  If his name wasn't Clough, you would not be defending his p*ss poor management....

9 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

My other gripe was a failure to acknowledge that at times we played scintillating stuff under Clough.

OMG - When was that, I pop down on 42 mins to get a pie, it must have been then....  Get real, it was boring s****, the odd breakaway and a goal, it was never like watching Barcelona.......

43 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

• Graham Potter
  • Chris Wilder
  • Nathan Jones
  • Paul Lambert

Graham Potter would be way out of our league.  And Nathan Jones?  The argument that some put forward against PW is that Derby is a far bigger club than Rotherham.  He’s only succeeded at Luton and failed at both Stoke and Southampton so surely the same argument?