Is Warne living on borrowed time?

10 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

...get peoples point about patience, but must also be an acceptance that at some point maybe just wasn’t the right appointment. Let’s see how we react Saturday. The two away games after look tough also.

Yes indeed. Clowes is a very experienced businessman with limited football club owning experience. So will he be able to admit he's got it wrong footballing wise? I'm sure there must have been times when the person appointed to a post was lovely and all, but just crap at their job? It happens. So when they 'sacked' Rosenior they said they had a duty of care, so lets see that now in relation to Warne. He's suffering, you can tell that from the change in his personality, the players are suffering too. And for sure the bloody fans are!

I wonder what Stephen Pearce is advising him?

Edited by RoyMac5

6 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think Warne has actually proved adaptable since he’s been here, he very quickly ditched his preferred 3-5-2 last season when it wasn’t working. He was certainly hinting in his interview he’s ready to ditch it again. To quote him it doesn’t look right and  we need to find a way to win games. A good manager is one who recognises when it’s not working and makes changes. 

He ditched it because James Chester got injured, and IIRC someone else got a knock in the same game (Cashin maybe?), so we literally didn't have enough defenders to play 5 at the back.  Performances improved instantly when we switched to a back 4 (it was literally like a lightbulb coming on at half time in the game when we made the switch).  We won the next game comfortably, and when asked in the interview afterwards, Warne said that he didn't think the formation had made any difference, the players just worked harder.  I think there's a genuine chance that if Chester hadn't got injured, we'd have carried on with a back 5, and Warne would have been gone by Christmas.

The first thing to stop doing is giving the ball away. The first goal last night came directly from Nelson I think it was making an appalling pass and giving the ball straight to the opposition. This is very basic. We looked slightly better when Wilson came on. Bradley is a poor signing I can’t see what he offers.

Although Warne is not directly responsible for individual errors he is to blame for our tendency to give away possession - unforced errors I suppose 

this will develop in three stages first losing the fans or a significant number and that seems to be happening from posts on here, second a decline in attendances and third dressing room disharmony or revolt. A new voice will them become inevitable although the change may happen sooner 

Disregarding style of play or tactics/formation I thought a minimum 7 points from 12 (before the Burton game) was the threshold for him to stay. This is looking tough to achieve after last night but of course in football anything can happen 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes indeed. Clowes is a very experienced businessman with limited football club owning experience. So will he be able to admit he's got it wrong footballing wise? I'm sure there must have been times when the person appointed to a post was lovely and all, but just crap at their job? It happens. So when they 'sacked' Rosenior they said they had a duty of care, so lets see that now in relation to Warne. He's suffering, you can tell that from the change in his personality, the players are suffering too. And for sure the bloody fans are!

I wonder what Stephen Pearce is advising him?

Above all Clowes is a proper fan. He will be listening to RD, he or his family will be reading these posts and chatting to fans in pubs.

Pearson is a finance man. Here's what he ought to be saying.

A football club is an events business. Revenue comes from maximising take on match days. Beer. Food. Programmes. Shirts.

When the entertainment is bad, you don't get the single match folk coming and even season ticket holders start staying away. It becomes a downward spiral. 

You have to make a decision about costs involved in sacking a manager Vs projected losses from sticking with him.

40 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's not pace that's the problem, it's position. The players can't find each other precisely because he's got them all running around "at pace" all the time. No-one knows where any bugger else is! 

Exactly right. We keep seeing:

Passes over unnecessarily short or long distances

A lack of options for the player in possession (who then turns backwards)

Players having to noticeably break stride to receive a pass

Players appearing to get in each other's way/mark each other rather than the opposition

The only easy pass is any one along the back 5, and opponents will pretty much let us play those 4 passes all day/night long.

14 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The players don't look happy. If they don't believe in the manager it's game over. Seems that's the case to me. 

The players didn't look happy in the tunnel before kick-off (at home, after a 3-0 win over our most important neighbours). To use the old football cliché: the dressing room has been lost.

49 minutes ago, sage said:

You are right. Having watched the highlights he was onside he was behind his markers but someone at the near post played him on.

It was still an appalling performance, we still should have been down to 10 men, they still had 2 probable penalties turned down, we have still only won 1 of our last 9 home games, we still look slow and disorganised.

It's a poo show.

The “1 home win in 9” stat says it all.  If that had been for the first 9 home games of a season, he’d already be gone.  

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He ditched it because James Chester got injured, and IIRC someone else got a knock in the same game (Cashin maybe?), so we literally didn't have enough defenders to play 5 at the back.  Performances improved instantly when we switched to a back 4 (it was literally like a lightbulb coming on at half time in the game when we made the switch).  We won the next game comfortably, and when asked in the interview afterwards, Warne said that he didn't think the formation had made any difference, the players just worked harder.  I think there's a genuine chance that if Chester hadn't got injured, we'd have carried on with a back 5, and Warne would have been gone by Christmas.

Hypothetical - he changed the system we got results. 

What’s going on .

Wasn't there a poll about Warne or Rosenior which Warne won .

I backed Rosenior and was told I must back Warne .

I always back the in place Derby Managers .

David Clowes will have to sort it out as it seems the fan base have turned. 

Either the players are rubbish, the system is rubbish or the coaching is rubbish. 

At this level I don’t believe the players are rubbish at all. There is plenty of quality in there. 

The system 352 has taken teams up from this division and will likely take Blackpool up this year too. 

That leaves the coaching…

In my time following Derby I don’t think I’ve seen many come back from where Warne stands now. He’s fast losing the crowd and the players look disinterested. 

im struggling to put together an argument, beyond the fact we’re skint, that he should stay. The plan was to sign experienced pros and get out of league 1, barring a miracle this isn’t happening this season, after which we will have to build a new squad again. 

With all of the above in play it becomes really hard to how there’s a way back for him. 

The other issue I see with Warne is the emotional side of his management, I say issue, it's a double-edged sword. When times are good he's probably great to be around, but when everything is going tits up, as it is right now, is he really the character we need to turn things around?

Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I have fully flipped in to the 'totally unconvinced camp' after the start we've made to the season.

Media darling isn't he so at least he still has got them on side. Although Eric Steele was not impressed by him last night from listening to the podcast this morning. And Eric has fantastic knowledge of the game, when he's not happy with the tactics and subs you know something isn't right.

Edited by SSD

I held back on this topic until last night as it's the easiest game in the world to just jump on the back of the manager - particularly with the expectations we had this season. But he's got it wrong bit time, last night we weren't just bad, we weren't just unlucky, we were awful.

Third game this season, out of four played, we've gifted a goal. But for a manager who is so insistent on playing one particular system to then recruit a group of players that not only can't play it but don't have the game style to play it is really, really weird. His only chance now it to dump his system and play to the strength of the players he recruited and he needs to do that very quickly. Otherwise this will become an irretrievable problem for him, and for us.

Final point, Oxford had three, maybe four players, who were exactly the sort of players we were looking for in the summer. I'm not saying they were all available, I'm not saying we could have afforded them, but it does show talent in exactly the areas we need it is available if you know where you are looking.