Is Warne living on borrowed time?

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You don't think he was told what our budget was at the start of the summer to put towards new signings?

At the very least, he'd have a vague idea of what each of his targets would want before discussions tool place, then he'd confirm if he's happy with the fees involved once agreements are in place, and then he'll know they revised budget once the signing is complete.

He wouldn't identify the need for 10 new players, sign 8 of them, then realise there's no money left for the last 2.

He might do 😂

9 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Warne teams are literally nothing like Billy Davies teams 🤷‍♂️.  Certainly the first half of the Davies season, it was very much a defensive 6 (back 4 with Seth Johnson and Matt Oakley sat in front), and the front 4 go and score the goals.  We opened up a bit when we signed a bunch of players in January, but it was still a very structured, regimented team.  Warne's teams basically have everybody trying to contribute to every phase of the game.  You'd never see anything like the Cashin overlapping runs, or Korey Smith scoring inside the 6 yard box in a Davies team.  And likewise, you'd never see the gaping holes in the backline and midfield that those things sometimes result in.

We aren't ever going to be an organised, cohesive unit because we aren't trying to be.  We're trying to make the game fast, chaotic and disorganised, because we think that will let our supposedly better fitness give us the edge. 

It was a team based on hard work, graft and endevor over ability.. there was ability in there obviously but it was a side that was first and formost battler and grafters

if u compare the skillset of that team to the total football side that was that wba team we beat in the final … robert koren, john greening and zolton gera u know what im getting at 

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

It was a team based on hard work, graft and endevor over ability.. there was ability in there obviously but it was a side that was first and formost battler and grafters

if u compare the skillset of that team to the total football side that was that wba team we beat in the final … robert koren, john greening and zolton gera u know what im getting at 

Sorry mate but that’s just nonsense.  Just because 2 teams work hard doesn’t remotely mean they play in the same way. Would you say that Liverpool and Man City play the same way because they both favour ability over hard work? 

11 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Thing I dont understand from here and rumour mill thread is why is Warne seemingly getting all if the negative comments about blowing "his" budget on what we will already have? Unless dcfc is run differently to every other business and he has miraculously gained his accountancy exams (in which case congrats Paul) he will not be monitoring the budget or how much he has spent already or negotiating/signing off the player purchases or sales. I am not moaning at DC for the budget being low or lower than expected either - as no accident that PW was appointed who is used to operating on a low budget. But there are other people at the club in charge of such things and so not fair to place any blame for that on PW (if there is blame to be attached that is)

Totally agree with your sentiments. I imagine that the people at Derby whom are responsible for negotiating playing contracts will have been constantly feeding back to Warne throughout the summer that player x whom Warne has identified is willing to come to the club but their agent has said that they will want y thousand a week.....so you need to be aware Paul that if you do sign them up you'll only have so much left to play with. So upto Paul if you want to progress it on this basis. 

Which is probably why Warne has twice now stated in interviews that he sees little value in getting a player in for the money he's been allowed for the sake of numbers if they're not any better than his existing squad. 

The lack of transfer activity over the past few weeks is testament to this. 

And you're quite correct that it's not Warnes transfer budget it's an allowance he's been granted. 

I've read a load of moans about this guy who came over from Oxford and why he hasn't as yet unearthed the next Lionel Messi for free and next to no wages whilst the zillion other scouts from rest of the football teams trawl the identical talent pool. 

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Sorry mate but that’s just nonsense.  Just because 2 teams work hard doesn’t remotely mean they play in the same way. Would you say that Liverpool and Man City play the same way because they both favour ability over hard work? 

Think your totally missing my point or im not conveying it clear enough

im Not saying that at all .. quite obviously i wouldnt say that 

Sat abroad watching and this is ruining my night, god knows what it’s like for those there.

We seem light years away from the likes of Bolton, I’m really hating our defensive line up, midfield none existent and creating next to nothing.

It’s just an awful watch and Warne is going to have to take the rap, not the players.

22 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Watching tonight. First time I've watched us and thought that this looks as bad as it did under Nigel Pearson. Bad, bad, bad. 

Just with very occasional patches of football.

Warne should be on borrowed time continuing to play a five that can't play the position. Bloody awful use of a decent squad.

10 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Sat abroad watching and this is ruining my night, god knows what it’s like for those there.

We seem light years away from the likes of Bolton, I’m really hating our defensive line up, midfield none existent and creating next to nothing.

It’s just an awful watch and Warne is going to have to take the rap, not the players.

The hope is Warne goes in at half time, absolutely screams at himself in the mirror, realises his tactics are absolutely poo and changes things drastically.

45 minutes to show us what he is all about.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just with very occasional patches of football.

Warne should be on borrowed time continuing to play a five that can't play the position. Bloody awful use of a decent squad.

And those occasions are becoming more and more seldom.

I am by no means calling for his head but everyone on the pitch looks clueless and irritated and the football is absolutely atrocious at the minute. 

42 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The hope is Warne goes in at half time, absolutely screams at himself in the mirror, realises his tactics are absolutely poo and changes things drastically.

45 minutes to show us what he is all about.

Man I’ve never been knee jerk, I’m an optimist by nature but I’m watching awful football, with no obvious tactic but try and press. The wing backs are not working, the preferred back 3 so obviously too slow, the midfield seems anyhow and the front 2 little service.

Warne’s Rotherham may have gone up using 5-3-2 but they were probably more mobile and younger. He’s stubborn in my opinion and it will do him no good if he doesn’t realise it’s not working.

If we beat Fleetwood, it will mask things again; better teams have us worked out. Warne seems all about fitness and running, lumping crosses in the box, I’m just simply not enjoying it and I suspect neither are the players right now. He needs to rethink the 5-3-2 quickly.

One thing that would be a not too secret stumbling block in getting rid of Warne would be the financial side of things. Could we even afford to get rid of him?

I don't know how much him and his team are paid collectively per week, but even if I guessed around 10k for all of them, which I'd say is still a conservative guess, he's got about 34 months left on his contract. That's about 1.5 million to pay them off.

If we did pay that, then that would surely limit the budget in hiring his replacement. If we did pay that, then Warne could rightfully question where was that money in the transfer window.