v Blackpool (H) Match Thread

Ambitious

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I am making a point in response to p e that claimed our team having so many new players meant that it couldn’t be organised and comparing it to the two teams that we have played having a similar number of new players. I am basing this based on the highlights I have seen and talking to those whose views often align with my own. Having just seen the Blackpool highlights there are 3 or 4 occasions they are clear through on goal from just a huge punt forwards, I don’t think that screams a well organised defence and don’t think I needed to be there to come to that conclusion. The same happened in the Wigan game. As it did in other games last season. 

So from highlights and an echo chamber of like minded people. That actually doesn't strengthen the point made. 

8 minutes ago, jono said:

Abject 1st half. Dismal, no fight, looked like strangers. Kane Wilson is an off the bench cavalry sub. Couple of times when he lost the ball he just plain gave up.
 Nothing wrong with Smithy. He’s probably our most consistent player. Waggy and Wash got nothing to work with. Back 3 looked like strangers. Elder is a good lad, everyone makes a mistake (but why did it have to be now !) he isn’t that quick though is he ? Why do we take so long to move the ball. It was like a friendly kick about. That was embarrassing !

2nd half .. huge improvement. Fozzy is so calm. Huge influence. Liked the look of Brown. Has to be in the squad / bench. Needs time on the pitch. Looks strong positive and with good feet. Waggy and Wash did look more lively until subbed. Bird was a changed man in the 2nd half. What now ?

Warne has a big headache and and a pile of work to do

Agreed and a word for Tommo who made a big difference in coming available for the ball and moving it quickly.

He clearly said a couple of my players so this isn't just about Max Bird. He sounded to me like a man who is fed up with what has happened in the transfer window so far and I just get the nagging feeling he a bit like some of us may have misinterpreted what Clowes meant by a 'competitive' budget. The word short used a lot, sounded like a plea to the man at the top to me, I might be wrong. 

I am typically positive in my views and have always looked to back that up by sharing my rationale and thinking.

I’ve read several posts this last week from people boldly claiming there’s a group of fans who won’t hear criticism of Warne, and this odd stance that does almost seem like revelling in the team’s and therefore the fan’s misery just to have an “I told you so moment” from certain quarters.
I’m all for an open dialogue that includes both praise and criticism of Warne and the team, provided it’s backed up by rationale thinking and isn’t just some binary stance of you’re either pro or anti Warne. It’s almost a microcosm of the way society is at the moment following a certain European exit, people staking their claim for one cause of the other with no room for nuance and sensible discourse.

Clearly the 3 at the back isn’t working so far this season. There is a need for pace in the side. There’s a need for more creativity. Those are sensible and logical observations several posters have made and I understand those. The bit I don’t like is the posts that seem to be more personal insults and underlying malice aimed at Warne, where his apparent intent has only been to do well for the club and aim to succeed. Yes he’s not delivering on those expectations but why does it have to become a personal thing rather than a professional one? Things like attacking Warne’s values and approach to morale building, what’s wrong with having a “why wall” theoretically presenting the players with a visual reminder of their motivations? If it’s not for you, fine, but it seems a strange thing to attack. Posts ridiculing his focus on good characters, the intent to recruit the “right personalities” into the playing staff makes absolute sense, especially as they are all (allegedly based on the last 2 games) experienced professional footballers. How he then blends and motivates that group is the challenge. Those are just a couple of points to pick out, there’s plenty more that seem more personal to the man than simple criticism of his tactics or the like.
The performances the last 2 games haven’t been good enough. The bit that always stands out for me is when I listen to what Warne is saying like in the above video, he knows that, and highlights the points.
So the questions then become what is he doing about them and how does he change it? I think it needs to be a switch to a back 4 for the weekend, either 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 to provide a more solid platform to the side. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added thoughts

Just now, TheTinMan said:

He clearly said a couple of my players so this isn't just about Max Bird. He sounded to me like a man who is fed up with what has happened in the transfer window so far and I just get the nagging feeling he a bit like some of us may have misinterpreted what Clowes meant by a 'competitive' budget. The word short used a lot, sounded like a plea to the man at the top to me, I might be wrong. 

Definitely something in that 

Warne thinks a few of the players have had their heads turned, brilliant, absolutely brilliant Paul. Like last season when the wheels started to come off and Warne started to question the commitment of one or two of the players. Remember, ‘ah I didn’t see that side of him before’

Every Derby fan wants you to succeed so cut it out and do your job. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if a few left after those comments tonight and that may well be Warne. It’s extremely harsh on Max as apart from Ward been our most creative player throughout pre season and the first 2 competitive games. If the other is Cashin then I wouldn’t be disheartened if he went, he isn’t yet good enough for me especially in a back 3. He makes the odd good slide tackle and the odd cross field pass but for me if his head is turning I would cash in while we can. It’s clear emotion and pressure has got to Warne tonight which I personally never thought that would happen with how he comes across. The only positive about this is that we are only 2 games in to the season and we still have 3 weeks of the marker left to bolster the squad. Clowes only gave LR a handful of games and we was 6/7th then. The next few weeks will be very interesting and could some what picture what this season is going to bring.   

For all we know this has been smoothed over in the dressing room after the interview who knows. But we need to strengthen and strengthen fast before we end up like a Charlton and Pompey which have become before this season stale league 1 clubs. 

13 minutes ago, RamFan13 said:

Wow it really just goes to show how in just 2 games things can go so wrong doesn’t it😂

The daft thing is we looked good preseason in consecutive matches. There was a flow, organisation and a willingness all round. Regardless of changes I didn’t see any of that in the first half. Nothing ! Nada ! Rien ! Dead men walking. 

Second half was fine, pretty enjoyable -  if we pretend the first half never happened - which I can’t. 

It's not losing or going out of the cup. If we had played as we did in the second half all game and gone out to a newly relegated team in our league, then all of the negativity tonight would be a bit much.

It's the first half performance that I think has people so concerned. It was calamitous. Nobody knew what to do, no pressing, no aggression, no second balls, incoherent passing, walking around. It was the worst I've seen in a really long time.

I will grant you new players need to get to know each other, the system, maybe an off night and we glaringly miss creativity and pace. Smith, Hourihane and Bird won't work, they're too similar.

That tonight was inexcusable first half. Im no wristslasher and hate booing but tonight, minimum standards of effort, let alone quality, weren't met and that is very worrying.

23 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I said after the game on Saturday that Bird did not look interested.

Half hearted closing down. Barely put a shift in.

Apparently it was the same again from him tonight.

If he doesn't want to be here. Let him go.

He offers us absolutely nothing anyway.

I'm sure we'll be able to replace the one goal he scored last season.

Boollocks. Slagging someone when you didn't see the game. Wow.

He was no worse than anyone else and was our best player second half tonight, when played in the right position.

Edited by sage

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So from highlights and an echo chamber of like minded people. That actually doesn't strengthen the point made. 

OK. I won’t have a view on anything I have not witnessed first hand for myself. 👍

I think we have looked less organised than the teams we have played and you disagree - fair enough. Life is too short to worry about it. 

Not defending Warne, as we have been below par and he needs to take some responsibility, aswell as oversharing in the interview. Even though Ik it was only pre season we looked so much more composed and organised so maybe he is telling the truth and something has happened. At the same time football is a crazy sport and if we win on Saturday everything starts to look rosey again.

53 minutes ago, Archied said:

You want to throw personal and professional insults at a bloke you dont even know because you don’t rate him for the derby job , read your post again , way over the top offensive garbage , im ok that you take offence as you have no problem throwing it out at warne and others , how did you know I wasn’t talking about the sex offender chants 🤷🏻‍♂️

do yourself a favour and perhaps chill down on the insults to warne , they are over the top and you perhaps don’t realise quite what you portray yourself as 

I criticised his managerial ability. That’s it. Hyperbolic yes, but that’s what this forum is for, to express your views on those associated with Derby County. It wasn’t a personal insult, else I’d have been given a warning (which I have been previously for a comment I made about Mason Bennett, which I stand by given what he did). I’m sure Paul Warne is a nice guy to have a drink with, if you’re into his sort of charectar. He’s just a crap football manager.

Out of the cup, I'm really not fussed about that. Usually I can keep my emotions in control at the match, go away and think about it.. Not tonight sadly. 

First half was one of the worst I've seen for a couple of years, possibly since Blackburn at home during COVID, nearly hiding behind my sofa. Blackpool to their credit played football how I would want to watch it. Nice slick passes on the floor, great movement, awareness of player runs. First goal was a nice cross and finish. They should have scored 3 or 4. Our defending was hideous and wouldn't look out of place on Chad Park on a Sunday morning. The worst moment for me was the hoof up the field from the Blackpool goalie and their striker escaped our 3 centre backs and nearly scored. I was looking through my fingers. Reminding me of the horrible years of Clod and Andy Todd. Not one player could come out with any credit. 

Warne was mentioning how he didn't like how we past it sideways and backwards. I completely disagree. When we started playing it more patiently and actually made Blackpool run and close us down, we exploited their defence and had some good chances. This is why personally I'm always going to differ from how he wants to play football. Nothing personal against him. He's one of the most genuine men in the game. The way we tried to play it (hoof it) down the wing in the first 45 minutes was cringe worthy and amatuer. Zero skill, zero thought and our manager seemingly enjoys that standard of football. At least he agreed it was abject.

Second half was much better, when we got the ball down and started playing it on the deck. Much more control of possession and created some good chances. Brown and Thompson looked dangerous when they came on. Made a difference and hungry to play. Give them more game time.

When I watch a team like Blackpool pass rings around us at home, it hurts me. That period where they had 50 passes and dominated the play was embarrassing. It's clear to me Warne has his way and he won't change. He was so reluctant to change formation the first time round, he did it as a last resort. I can see this happening again if we're not careful. I'm not gonna start calling Warne out of a job because he might surprise me and go on another unbelievable unbeaten run. Watching him set his team out does test my patience but I'll never boo the team or degrade the players.

I can definitely see why he's always struggled to take a team to the next level and I think I'll leave it there.

Edited by SSD

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Not defending Warne, as we have been below par and he needs to take some responsibility, aswell as oversharing in the interview. Even though Ik it was only pre season we looked so much more composed and organised so maybe he is telling the truth and something has happened. At the same time football is a crazy sport and if we win on Saturday everything starts to look rosey again.

That’s always the case. It’s so much easier to look composed and organised in preseason. When the actual matches start, the intensity levels go up, the opposition work rates go up, the pressure ratchets up, it’s a different game.