Tomorrow's the big day. Glass half full, or half empty?

At the risk of getting splinters in my a**e, my glass is 3 quarters full. Our defence is/should be almost Championship standard and will surely be the best in League 1. Time will tell...

But that niggling doubt about our attack.... Will we collectively replace Didzy's goals through more players stepping up to the plate and spreading our attacking output on a wider team contribution?

Will we be the  Arsenal of League 1?  " 1-0 to the Derby boys " - Sing along now.

Or will " Warne ball " - a constant drive to fire balls into the box, where they go in off shins and a**ses, it doesn't matter, just get it in there, lead us to be more prolific in front of goal than our current strike force suggests?

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Edit:  It's an hour to go till the end of today. So tomorrow isn't strictly accurate. 🙂 It feels like tomorrow, it's sooo close

So we'll very soon find out. Goodnight, looking forward to waking up. It won't be long and if I don't wake up I'll never know what I've missed.😉

I think we'll continue to concede goals.  The defence is quality but the way we play coupled with the lack of protection provided by our midfield will lead to the opposition having a bit of success. 

I also think the way we play and our improved fitness will see us much more effective in the opposition half.  We'll be putting in better quality crosses with more people in the box to get on the end of them.  We'll also be winning the ball higher up the pitch and creating more chances that way.  I don't see the games being dull or boring this season.  If they are low scoring affairs it will be because neither team has taken their chances.

Given the squad depth (or lack of it) I can also see us dropping off a bit later in the season.   Hopefully Warne will see that he needs to rotate and rest players a bit more than he was able to last season.

5 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

I think we'll continue to concede goals.  The defence is quality but the way we play coupled with the lack of protection provided by our midfield will lead to the opposition having a bit of success. 

I also think the way we play and our improved fitness will see us much more effective in the opposition half.  We'll be putting in better quality crosses with more people in the box to get on the end of them.  We'll also be winning the ball higher up the pitch and creating more chances that way.  I don't see the games being dull or boring this season.  If they are low scoring affairs it will be because neither team has taken their chances.

Given the squad depth (or lack of it) I can also see us dropping off a bit later in the season.   Hopefully Warne will see that he needs to rotate and rest players a bit more than he was able to last season.

Yes, I keep reading about these 1-0 wins but this defence will take a while to get used to each other’s games.

We conceded three against Sheffield and Stoke missed a hatful.

We also haven’t had a consistent LWB and Elder will need bedding in.

I am encouraged by the energy we’ve shown and the pace at which we have passed the ball.

Might be a bumpy ride more than an Arsenal grind 😊

7 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

At the risk of getting splinters in my a**e, my glass is 3 quarters full. Our defence is/should be almost Championship standard and will surely be the best in League 1. Time will tell...

But that niggling doubt about our attack.... Will we collectively replace Didzy's goals through more players stepping up to the plate and spreading our attacking output on a wider team contribution?

Will we be the  Arsenal of League 1?  " 1-0 to the Derby boys " - Sing along now.

Or will " Warne ball " - a constant drive to fire balls into the box, where they go in off shins and a**ses, it doesn't matter, just get it in there, lead us to be more prolific in front of goal than our current strike force suggests?

What do you think?

We are a “Warne work in progress” for sure but, in a nutshell, NML played centrally will start to bang the goals in, fed from the apex of Midfield by mercurial through balls threaded through the eye of the defence-piercing needle that is Max Bird’s left peg. Joe Ward will find Collins’s forehead with metronomic periodicity. Once the new left-siders are fit (Elder, mainly) better balance will be achieved, principally benefiting Louis  Sibley who will re-emerge as the destroying angel reincarnate. Result: 15 games in the Derby team will be a finely-tuned Rolls-Royce produced Merlin engine, with principal pilot Sonny Bradley in the cockpit smashing through with aerial power to wreak occasional havoc on opponent defenders. Curtis “Horatio” Nelson will observe from the poop deck and also fire the odd musket ball goal-ward. By Christmas/New Year, HMS Derby County will be sailing in clear blue waters, cutting through the waves inexorably toward Championship-landia, observed with dignified pride from the West, by Admiral Clowes. The good ship Derby will reach land 2 weeks ahead of schedule. 

So, hoist your mainbrace, chocs away, and standby for another memorable season. 

ps Connor Washington will also become a cult. 

Edited by Ellafella

Half full. I am hopeful of top two. However, my biggest concern is how deep we defend as a team when other teams have the ball for periods. We seem to have a gap from the 18yard line to 30yards with everyone seemingly defending just outside the box. Teams have too much of the ball without real challenges and are invited to take shots or ping the ball in the box. This i think will cost us goals. Otherwise i think we have decent players now, and we will be capable of top two.

I can’t see any reason why we aren’t all half-full. It’s a poor division at the best of times, yet this year strikes me as even worse. We are a couple of players short of HMS piss the league, but we seem confident of getting them in the door so my mind is at ease for now. 

Bolton are the only side I look at who I feel can push us for the title. People mentioning Portsmouth like they don’t have Oxford’s former water boy in charge of his first ever managerial job and haven’t made a fleet of the most painfully bland, average signings ever conceived at any level of football. At least Barnsley are throwing the dice a little with their non-league defence. I mean: Gavin Whyte, Jack Sparkes, Ben Stevenson, Connor Shaughnessy, Will Norris, Christian Saydee? Anthony Scully couldn’t buy a game for Wigan but he and Reagan Poole are the best they’ve managed to bring in. Add that to the s**** they already had and that’s apparently a team who some are fearing we can’t compete with - people need to realise that we’re not in the Championship anymore, we’re playing essentially a league full of scrubbers. 

Half full, see no real reason not to be at this stage.

Even if you're not the biggest Warne fan, we have a lot of experience in this team that should see us up there challenging for promotion.

I don't see any club being in a stand out position of top 2 confidence, just in the mix along with ourselves.

Even if your worst fears of Warne come true, let the team prove you right before looking at the half empty glass.

Each to their own though, if we were all the same it would be a boring old world.

Fully full until I see a pattern of events to not be full. 

League is piss weak. That doesn’t mean that going up automatically won’t be incredibly difficult because 45 games against everyone as the biggest scalp in the division will take its toll and there’ll be some tricky tests but that’s what Warne is paid the spondooliks for. 

Get the train ready! 

Full full. Start of a new season. 7 good signings so far. 2 or 3 more to come. Collo loving the the service from  the wings, especially from Ward. Another behind closed doors job midweek saw Wash score 3 and have another disallowed. Defence looks good and will get better. A mate of mine had a double bet in the week. £50 on us to go up and the Red Dogs to go down. Just over £450 pay out if he's right. I wish him well.

A year ago I was saying midtable finish and anything better would be a more than welcome bonus. I can think of quite a few games last season where we should have got more points than we did. Dodgy penalties against us like the Plymouth away one. I'm going in to this season with real hope of being at the pointy end come May. Keep them full glasses coming Landlord...