Tomorrow's the big day. Glass half full, or half empty?

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, I keep reading about these 1-0 wins but this defence will take a while to get used to each other’s games.

We conceded three against Sheffield and Stoke missed a hatful.

We also haven’t had a consistent LWB and Elder will need bedding in.

I am encouraged by the energy we’ve shown and the pace at which we have passed the ball.

Might be a bumpy ride more than an Arsenal grind 😊

And despite that, those were the only 3 goals we conceded all pre-season - against a PL side.

Once Elder is fit, I'm expecting us to be even tighter at the back and more balls into the box at the other end of the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And despite that, those were the only 3 goals we conceded all pre-season - against a PL side.

Once Elder is fit, I'm expecting us to be even tighter at the back and more balls into the box at the other end of the pitch.

Cough….Salford….cough

Definitely half full (or more) at the moment but, as mentioned by PW, the season will not be decided tomorrow. We mustn’t get too excited or despondent regardless of the result and/or performance. It’s a long season, teams are still recruiting (hopefully including us) and some teams will take time to gel. 

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Definitely half full (or more) at the moment but, as mentioned by PW, the season will not be decided tomorrow. We mustn’t get too excited or despondent regardless of the result and/or performance. It’s a long season, teams are still recruiting (hopefully including us) and some teams will take time to gel. 

SPOT. ON. 

Definitely glass half full as it stands. I like Warne and I agree with much of his footballing philosophy. This could change though if we dont get the rest of the recruitment right before the window shuts, though. What we've done so far is good, but it's incomplete.

55 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Full full. Start of a new season. 7 good signings so far. 2 or 3 more to come. Collo loving the the service from  the wings, especially from Ward. Another behind closed doors job midweek saw Wash score 3 and have another disallowed. Defence looks good and will get better. A mate of mine had a double bet in the week. £50 on us to go up and the Red Dogs to go down. Just over £450 pay out if he's right. I wish him well.

A year ago I was saying midtable finish and anything better would be a more than welcome bonus. I can think of quite a few games last season where we should have got more points than we did. Dodgy penalties against us like the Plymouth away one. I'm going in to this season with real hope of being at the pointy end come May. Keep them full glasses coming Landlord...

What behind closed doors friendly was this 👀

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

The club's still alive, I'm still alive - what's not to like about the start of a new season? (plus with any luck, the amount of ballcocks that's being posted on here will taper off as we have the actual football to discuss....) - all positives for me..

Do sometimes forget that this is predominantly a football forum 😀.

Fly out of Heraklion 1.55am tomorrow, got a little bit of wriggle room if flight is delayed, then back in time for the full first match of the season build up on here.

Can't actually make tomorrow's game, Forum updates for me, but Oxford tickets in the bag. Hopefully by then we'll be top of the league!

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That doesn't count because I forgot all about it... 

Sorry for the pedantry. Your point still stands, 3 goals conceded against higher opposition and 1 in a game against Salford that wasn’t even a real match, they played 13.5 minute halves because Warne and co had ran their legs to jelly in 73 degrees heat. Might as well have been a glorified game of heads and volleys 😉 

On the original poster’s point, my glass is of course more than half full. New season, new signings, more to come and an intent to play for top 6/promotion from the staff and squad. Looking forward to another rollercoaster of emotions. 🐏 

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

What behind closed doors friendly was this 👀

The one PW spoke of in his interview with RamsTV that appeared on the club website 22 hours ago. He didn't give any more info than that. Not who the oppo was or what the score was.

Half-full in that we've still got a club and we'll be a top 8 club regardless of how the season goes we're too strong not to be. Last season was a free hit as we were all delighted to have a club still. Now the reality bites that we've got significantly better resources than most in this league and I do include most of the playing squad in that bracket and the right manager to get out of the league so naturally you expect a bit more. Half-empty in that I'm not confident at all of top 2 because last season the top 4 sides all got over 80 goals and we only got 67 which was less than Charlton and marginally more than Exeter and we've lost our top goalscorer and replaced him with somebody who wasn't fit enough to feature in pre-season. Generally goals get promotion and I don't see 70 goals in this squad never mind 80. 

I'm very optimistic. Mainly due to the recruitment in defence. The first few games are rarely entertaining, the odd goal here and there and having the solid defensive unit is key. Bradley and Nelson are fantastic signings, a huge improvement on paper from last season. Not expecting lots of goals initially however we'll keep even more clean sheets in my view to mitigate this.

Right now, Friday evening, with no additional signings announced, I’m optimistic. There’s an expectation that we will be “right up there” come the end of the season, and rightly so. A few more players to add quality will only stoke the flames of optimism, but I think we’re good enough to pick up points as it is.