Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

Let’s be fair to Waghorn, he’s been told that there isn’t much of a budget for him as we’re looking at other players who play his position. It’s more of a convenience thing for him and us, which is fine as that’s how McGoldrick started out, but if Blackpool really want him then they should get him. 

We have a pre-agreed budget with the EFL that we seemingly can’t shift on, even with sales, so let’s not impact that overstretching for a player we would like, but not love, from Warne’s point of view. 

Still, if Waghorn goes to Blackpool and does really well then it is a little bit of a shitty stick that fans can beat him with so he needs to tread carefully and make sure he’s not letting a player who could be really good walk out the door. 

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Still, if Waghorn goes to Blackpool and does really well then it is a little bit of a shitty stick that fans can beat him with so he needs to tread carefully and make sure he’s not letting a player who could be really good walk out the door. 

I doubt it’ll take that much!

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Not for £10k a week for a couple of seasons and just like Derby there's some nice villages just outside?

Its Not for me, i am middle Aged and set in my ways though lol

Edited by NottsRam77

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Let’s be fair to Waghorn, he’s been told that there isn’t much of a budget for him as we’re looking at other players who play his position. It’s more of a convenience thing for him and us, which is fine as that’s how McGoldrick started out, but if Blackpool really want him then they should get him. 

We have a pre-agreed budget with the EFL that we seemingly can’t shift on, even with sales, so let’s not impact that overstretching for a player we would like, but not love, from Warne’s point of view. 

Exactly. If he goes elsewhere then, as far as I’m concerned, it will be with best wishes. Both Derby and Waggy seem to have sensibly kept their options open as long as possible and you can hardly blame him for considering other offers and waiting until the 11th hour (assuming of course that Derby have only offered him a one year deal on relatively low wages).

If Warne feels we really need him and the length of contract is an issue for the Club to commit to, then I wonder if they have explored short-term options, I believe the regulations allow a non-contract player to be registered to play, and nothing to stop a rolling weekly contract for that matter, continues to keep the options open for both parties, he trains and gets fitter, stays in the shop window, we get a capable player whilst Washington and Sibley get fit and continue to look at other options.

Only risk is he stars, scores and his demands become too big for us and he signs for a rival, or for him personally,  he gets injured and ends up with no contract, but that can happen in training anyway....

35 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Having heard Warne say yesterday, that if Waghorn accepts the deal he would expect it to be completed in the next 6 or 7 hours, I'd imagine that the more time that passes, the less likely it is to happen.

There is a big difference between a deal happening and a deal being announced.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

This seems to have been forgotten so much in the narrative from some parts "oh where's this good budget when we haven't spent a transfer fee?" - I assume when DC said we have a good budget he knew the club had a budget that's (a guess) in the league top 6, a budget that is "good". The other thing to remember is we're only not under EFL restrictions because we gave them a business plan that (more or less) achieved the same things - so we've more freedom than we would have had, but as Janis Joplin sang, "freedom, aint nothing when you aint free"

The budget presumably has to cover fees and wages, so a hypothetical £200k fee means £200k less can be spent on squad wages and it's up to PW and his recruitment team to balance that.