Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

Feels like there needs to be some legislation around spreading mis-information, especially when that mis-information incites violence.

Whilst it might be too difficult to determine the motives of an individial, perhaps the companies that facilitate this should be taken to task?

If some crank managed to do similar on say the BBC or in The Times, I sure those 2 companies would be penalised. Couple the same apply to social media companies?

Could the similar rules apply to the spreading of fake videos. If a celebrity was targeted, I can imagine they would be able to sue platforms and/or the creator of the fake video. Should the same apply when the target is wider, especially when it directly incites violence too?

14 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Elon posting misinformation about the female Olympian boxer on his horrible app, I see, alongside the usual suspects spreading hate and division.

What an absolute cesspit that place has become. 

The Football Twitter crowd that don't care one jot about politics and the culture wars have been moaning in recent days about how they can't escape all the hate-filled stuff.

Will be interested to see which way the platform is going. If it keeps pissing off its core userbase that don't want to see culture war content polluting their timelines, it presumably makes an alternative platform more viable. Threads needs some bold marketing to take users away imo.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The Football Twitter crowd that don't care one jot about politics and the culture wars have been moaning in recent days about how they can't escape all the hate-filled stuff.

Will be interested to see which way the platform is going. If it keeps pissing off its core userbase that don't want to see culture war content polluting their timelines, it presumably makes an alternative platform more viable. Threads needs some bold marketing to take users away imo.

It is so tiring and depressing. Riots up and down the country this weekend fuelled by nonsense and outright lies on that app actively being encouraged.

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

It is so tiring and depressing. Riots up and down the country this weekend fuelled by nonsense and outright lies on that app actively being encouraged.

It's not the apps fault that normal people are being turned into crazed thugs because they haven't configured their content feed properly!

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm so glad I deleted my twitter account and uninstalled the app. Monstrous app that has long since outlived it's usefulness to society.

I wish I had, I've somehow ended up in a gang of angry blokes trying to set fire to a library. I thought I was coming to a talk by the citizen's advice bureau. We are going after them next apparently.

I've stepped away from social media now. The amount of misinformation and blatant lying is unacceptable and people need to start being prosecuted for it. I won't delve into political conversations at the risk of being banned. I will try and word it as best as I can without sitting on the fence.

What has happened over recent days could have easily killed innocent people in this country. Yes, there are genuine reasons why people are angry, however the way social media has fueled absolute rubbish stories has led to a mob mentality online and in-person, as a consequence it has got to the point of where city centres are at risk of violence. Mainly fueled by lies of others. These fake stories are ludicrous and we need regulation to stop this from happening. Social media is way past its original innocent design of connecting with friends and sharing pictures of your holiday. There has to be consequences and not a wild west of hatred. The sooner it is cracked down the better.

10 minutes ago, SSD said:

I've stepped away from social media now. The amount of misinformation and blatant lying is unacceptable and people need to start being prosecuted for it. I won't delve into political conversations at the risk of being banned. I will try and word it as best as I can without sitting on the fence.

What has happened over recent days could have easily killed innocent people in this country. Yes, there are genuine reasons why people are angry, however the way social media has fueled absolute rubbish stories has led to a mob mentality online and in-person, as a consequence it has got to the point of where city centres are at risk of violence. Mainly fueled by lies of others. These fake stories are ludicrous and we need regulation to stop this from happening. Social media is way past its original innocent design of connecting with friends and sharing pictures of your holiday. There has to be consequences and not a wild west of hatred. The sooner it is cracked down the better.

Correct. And Musk is a key figure in terms of a) running a key platform that allows disinformation to spread and b) personally amplifying disinformation to spread it even wider.

We are probably heading to a point when someone will get killed in these riots. And it will probably end up being a child, an old person or police.

Then the usual suspects will say it's terrible someone died, ignoring their obscene role in it all.

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I wish I had, I've somehow ended up in a gang of angry blokes trying to set fire to a library. I thought I was coming to a talk by the citizen's advice bureau. We are going after them next apparently.

Ray Bradbury's 'Fahrenheit 451' has got a lot to answer for.

Edited by Eddie

On 31/07/2024 at 07:53, ariotofmyown said:

Feels like there needs to be some legislation around spreading mis-information, especially when that mis-information incites violence.

Whilst it might be too difficult to determine the motives of an individial, perhaps the companies that facilitate this should be taken to task?

If some crank managed to do similar on say the BBC or in The Times, I sure those 2 companies would be penalised. Couple the same apply to social media companies?

Could the similar rules apply to the spreading of fake videos. If a celebrity was targeted, I can imagine they would be able to sue platforms and/or the creator of the fake video. Should the same apply when the target is wider, especially when it directly incites violence too?

You are totally right about this, those publications would be penalised.

Social media companies have avoided the same levels of regulation by successfully arguing they are platforms not publishers. It's the likes of you and me that are the plublishers.

But in my view that changed when the social media started giving us algorithmic feeds instead of a simple timeline. Once they start deciding what information we see, that turns them into publisher's in my opinion. And that's how the law needs to change.

17 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Social media companies have avoided the same levels of regulation by successfully arguing they are platforms not publishers. It's the likes of you and me that are the plublishers.

But in my view that changed when the social media started giving us algorithmic feeds instead of a simple timeline. Once they start deciding what information we see, that turns them into publisher's in my opinion. And that's how the law needs to change.

That makes a lot of sense 👍

29 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Perhaps this could be the future and the way to stop wild, madeup garbage propogating round the world.

A fool down the pub who spreads misinformation remains a fool, rather than becoming an horrible influencer across the globe. Or an MP.

We spent too long letting loud, boorish voices getting away with presents crass opinions as fact.

Their rubbish needs to be challenged, so a debate can take place. Or else this violent anarchy will just escalate.

Imagine the grieving familes of those poor girls in Southport. Not only have they suffered a horrific tragedy, they will also forever be linked to all this vileness.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Perhaps this could be the future and the way to stop wild, madeup garbage propogating round the world.

A fool down the pub who spreads misinformation remains a fool, rather than becoming an horrible influencer across the globe. Or an MP.

We spent too long letting loud, boorish voices getting away with presents crass opinions as fact.

Their rubbish needs to be challenged, so a debate can take place. Or else this violent anarchy will just escalate.

Imagine the grieving familes of those poor girls in Southport. Not only have they suffered a horrific tragedy, they will also forever be linked to all this vileness.

Our country is in a mess , it matters not who does such vile and un speakable things to little girls or why they feel justified to do it , they are just monsters , I have felt and said for so long that we need to stop dividing into groups and allowing these kind of things to be labelled race crimes , homophobic crimes , religious bigotry crimes ect ect ect , they are crimes committed by monsters and violent scum who will pick any side or reason to justify they’re scum anti human behaviour and decent people of all colours , sexuality, ect  need to unite and stand together against it , we need leaders who can strike that note to unite all decent people , sadly I just don’t see that in the government or the opposition benches and the media who ALL need to take a long hard look at themselves ( perhaps we all have to ) and ask if they’re words and actions help or make things worse ,

that s my only comment on this as let’s be honest we will get political and descend to the same stuff even on here,,, where the duck we are headed god only knows  , whatever anybody’s chosen god looks like🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Our country is in a mess , it matters not who does such vile and un speakable things to little girls or why they feel justified to do it , they are just monsters , I have felt and said for so long that we need to stop dividing into groups and allowing these kind of things to be labelled race crimes , homophobic crimes , religious bigotry crimes ect ect ect , they are crimes committed by monsters and violent scum who will pick any side or reason to justify they’re scum anti human behaviour and decent people of all colours , sexuality, ect  need to unite and stand together against it , we need leaders who can strike that note to unite all decent people , sadly I just don’t see that in the government or the opposition benches and the media who ALL need to take a long hard look at themselves ( perhaps we all have to ) and ask if they’re words and actions help or make things worse ,

that s my only comment on this as let’s be honest we will get political and descend to the same stuff even on here,,, where the duck we are headed god only knows  , whatever anybody’s chosen god looks like🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah Twitter has only played a part in this. The Government has been playing divide and conquer for some time. 

Many politicians (and it's both sides before anyone drags it into a fight, for example Galloway and Braverman) have targeted a specific group to piggy back on and played to that group. They've even gone so far as to endanger each other with their language. Maybe they didn't read the room but this has been bubbling for a long time. BLM marches, COVID, Palestine... There's been an edge to this country for a while. 

Turning the poor against the poor is about the only thing that the elites/media seem focused on

Whether it's about gays, blacks, trans, social class, religion, anti vaccination.... Whatever. It's the worst of us pitted against the worst. 

Everybody gets dragged in because you never know whether the person you're dealing with is rational or one of the extremes always shoved in our faces. That's social media for you. 

This country is in a terrible state. The world is in a terrible state. Everyone pushed to the extremes. War in Europe. Major war brewing in the ME that is very likely to include America. Meanwhile in France, Britain and America there's huge unrest with assassinations, violence in the streets... 

I bet you though that these social media platforms and the media are just embracing the clicks. 

Who gets us out this s***? Depressing as fook. There are people out there who call for peace and calm and even those are gaslit. 

The police wanted nothing to do with me when I called 999 to report that a Nigerian fella has not sent me the gold he promised, once I had transferred 10k into his bank account.

But when an angry mob tries to burn down a building with lots of people inside, the police suddenly get very heavy handed. Typical two tier policing.

I'd like to see some of the people spouting this challenged on what they have said, but they never are...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/aug/06/england-riots-two-tier-policing-myth-widespread

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The police wanted nothing to do with me when I called 999 to report that a Nigerian fella has not sent me the gold he promised, once I had transferred 10k into his bank account.

But when an angry mob tries to burn down a building with lots of people inside, the police suddenly get very heavy handed. Typical two tier policing.

I'd like to see some of the people spouting this challenged on what they have said, but they never are...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/aug/06/england-riots-two-tier-policing-myth-widespread

'The UK is overrun with Asylum seekers

We can't cope with the growing population 

Asylum Seekers come here because it's an easy ride compared to European neighbours

Asylum seekers are given fancy hotels at the cost of the taxpayer'

- keep seeing these fired out. And they come so thick and fast that any sensible argument is lost. What happens is somebody tries to engage with any of these claims and then the goalposts are moved. Such as "80% of social housing goes to those born outside of Britain". You engage with it and it becomes "violent crime is disproportionately higher amongst ethnic minorities" 

It's like, decide who it is you're angry with and why then we can discuss it. But the whole thing is lost in back and forth hatred, anger and extremism. Hopeless! Too many voices, too many trolls and too many stirrers in the background pushing the clash