James Collins

Keepyuppy

I never did understand the 'penalties are just stat padding' argument.

Players miss easier chances than penalties regularly. The number of one-on-ones I've seen in football where a player hits the keeper's legs, fluffing a free header...

But when they score the tap-ins from a couple of yards out, in an empty net, you going to ignore those too? Barkhuizen's got a couple of those this season.

21 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I never did understand the 'penalties are just stat padding' argument.

Players miss easier chances than penalties regularly. The number of one-on-ones I've seen in football where a player hits the keeper's legs, fluffing a free header...

But when they score the tap-ins from a couple of yards out, in an empty net, you going to ignore those too? Barkhuizen's got a couple of those this season.

Exactly.

If penalties were easy, forget saved, no player would ever miss the target. Yet…. 

We’ve simply reached the depths where to maintain the criticism of Collins, goals will be removed until only goals from 30 yards out in the top bin which proves how useless he is.

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

What - even if, under pressure to score them, they then go and miss?

but the point is whoever is taking the pen, is being given a free shot on goal, with a high probability of scoring, that they otherwise wouldn't have had.

34 minutes ago, David said:

Mbappe missed a penalty tonight. The Mbappe. But let’s remove Collins penalties hey….

Every clubs penalty taker has their stats inflated - this is just a fact. Obviously they still have to put them away so its wrong to remove them entirely like @Chris_Martin is suggesting. It is true however that they shouldn't be regarded as highly as a goal from open play.

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Every clubs penalty taker has their stats inflated - this is just a fact. Obviously they still have to put them away so its wrong to remove them entirely like @Chris_Martin is suggesting. It is true however that they shouldn't be regarded as highly as a goal from open play.

Rubbish, what if someone taps into an empty net from a yard out, is that more difficult than a penalty then.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Rubbish, what if someone taps into an empty net from a yard out, is that more difficult than a penalty then.

Depends. Players get lucky goals now and then, but what if the tap in was a result of excellent movement?

The thing about a penalty taker is - they might not even be involved in the winning of the penalty at all, but still get the goal at the end.

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Depends. Players get lucky goals now and then, but what if the tap in was a result of excellent movement?

The thing about a penalty taker is - they might not even be involved in the winning of the penalty at all, but still get the goal at the end.

So if a goalkeeper pulls someone down just as he’s going to put the ball in the net and then that player takes the penalty and scores, I presume that one counts but others don’t 😂

9 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

So if a goalkeeper pulls someone down just as he’s going to put the ball in the net and then that player takes the penalty and scores, I presume that one counts but others don’t 😂

I'm not saying a penalty shouldn't be counted at all, bit every clubs penalty taker has their stats inflated. You can't argue that it's just a fact. 

Using your example - what if the player who got pulled down wasn't the penalty taker? the penalty taker would get the goal they deserved in a way.

5 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I'm not saying a penalty shouldn't be counted at all, bit every clubs penalty taker has their stats inflated. You can't argue that it's just a fact. 

Using your example - what if the player who got pulled down wasn't the penalty taker? the penalty taker would get the goal they deserved in a way.

It’s still the same odd argument, “stats inflated”… 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Is it a goal or not? Yes. Very simply. If a goal is scored from the penalty spot it counts as a goal the same as a 30 yard screamer, a bicycle kick, a diving header, or a rebound following a failed clearance by the keeper into the attacker. And if that goal leads to one team scoring more than their opponent they win the game. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

I’m either going insane or had too much to drink.  Are we really debating whether a penalty should be counted in goal stats, it inflates stats, the taker may not be involved in the build up, a tap in, blah, blah, bleedin’ blah?  Can’t we all just accept that Collins is having a very good season.

Goals win games no matter how they’re scored or who by.  Did we get a bonus point for his volley last week?  No.  If we win 1-0 to tomorrow and it’s a 90th minute penalty do we only get 2 points?  No.  Give me strength!!

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s still the same odd argument, “stats inflated”… 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Is it a goal or not? Yes. Very simply. If a goal is scored from the penalty spot it counts as a goal the same as a 30 yard screamer, a bicycle kick, a diving header, or a rebound following a failed clearance by the keeper into the attacker. And if that goal leads to one team scoring more than their opponent they win the game. 

Just use your common sense. Obviously the penalty taker gets a bit of an advantage in goal scoring terms than other players, that's all I'm saying.

If Nelson was on penalties for some reason his goal record would be up. Of course he'd probably miss more than Collins but still.

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

We missed two penalties against Morecombe last season and didn't win the game as a result. A win in that game would have had us finish in the play-offs and may even be a Championship side right now.

England could be reigning European champions if penalties were easy enough to just be disregarded.

Every goal is worth the same, I don't really care how they go in, scoring penalties shouldn't be a way to be negative towards a player...

17 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Just use your common sense. Obviously the penalty taker gets a bit of an advantage in goal scoring terms than other players, that's all I'm saying.

If Nelson was on penalties for some reason his goal record would be up. Of course he'd probably miss more than Collins but still.

I am using my common sense, I’m applying the facts. A penalty goal is a goal, it counts in a match and is counted in statistics. The player who scores the penalty goal has a goal recorded against their name and it counts towards their personal goal tally and the goals scored by the team, there’s no inflating stats, there’s no padding, it’s is a factual recording of a goal scored. 
Cristiano Ronaldo is largely regarded as one of the greatest goalscorers to play the game, he’s scored over 150 penalty goals in his career, do you think he’d let anyone take them off his record? Messi over 100 penalty goals. Shearer over 70. Rooney 48. Brazilian Ronaldo 47. 

45 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Why would Nelson miss if it’s that easy.