Mark Harris - joined Oxford United

McMuffin

1 minute ago, GangwayD said:

No, just pondering and thinking Harris might not be as bad a signing as this thread portrays. 

Not really knowing the budget, if I was in Warnes shoes would I spend the money on Alfie May, or risk Harris with a Lucas Joao and another free transfer.  Not sure I'd want to go into the new season with May, Harris, Joao and Collins as I don't think there are enough goals in that strike force.  

I'm getting splinters on my arse here - need convincing. 

These days Football managers probably can't look long term, so if he thinks May will get us the goals for promotion then he's our man, but he gives us no re-sale value if we don't go up. 

When Arthur spent Lionel's money I feel he always did it with a long term view, based on age and potential, and we recouped or sold for profit - nowadays managers don't have the time.

Has that made things clearer ?!

Gangway D from the terrace.

Sorry - I was just messing in previous message (dodgy sense of humour).

I actually agree with your earlier message!

4 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think its important to remember when u say “ utilised more effectively” its important to remember that majority of the time it was determind through necessity rether than choice

i dont think for one second warne sees sibley as a left a wing back same barks and nml 

but that was the hand he was dealt and he had to deal with it 

i for one am excited to see where warne can take u, i do however think we will need to exercise patience as it might well not all fall into place at the first attempt 

1. Nobody forced him to play with wing backs. It wasn't a necessity it was a choice. I understand fully why he'd want to use that tactic if the plan in the long run is to go that route, but it simply didn't best utilise what he had last season. Hopefully the long-term benefit of the shows though as the players who remain from last season should be a bit more comfortable having had experience playing it.

2. By Warne's own admission his squad management could have been better. NML in particular was over-used (even had it just been at RW without the additional workload of RWB) and looked knackered and massively out of form. Barkhuizen - who had played himself into a bit of form only to end up benched for the next couple of months in favour of Dobbin - could/should have taken up some of that slack.

Patience is indeed a virtue, and I was only commenting on our squad makeup at that precise moment in time - I think it was a fair assessment. We've still got plenty of time to add the right players, and once we have a few forwards in it should be more clear exactly what sort of team we'll be watching this season.

It may not fall into place first time, but given the number of factors now on our side it should, really, and excuses won't really wash - that's not impatience, it's the expectations that should naturally come with having a budget good enough for promotion, a well-renowned head of recruitment and a manager who's considered the best in the league.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, GangwayD said:

No, just pondering and thinking Harris might not be as bad a signing as this thread portrays. 

Not really knowing the budget, if I was in Warnes shoes would I spend the money on Alfie May, or risk Harris with a Lucas Joao and another free transfer.  Not sure I'd want to go into the new season with May, Harris, Joao and Collins as I don't think there are enough goals in that strike force.  

I'm getting splinters on my arse here - need convincing. 

These days Football managers probably can't look long term, so if he thinks May will get us the goals for promotion then he's our man, but he gives us no re-sale value if we don't go up. 

When Arthur spent Lionel's money I feel he always did it with a long term view, based on age and potential, and we recouped or sold for profit - nowadays managers don't have the time.

Has that made things clearer ?!

Gangway D from the terrace.

Great points but Mark Willington (33) and John Gregory(31) were probably the only exceptions to that but compensated with their experience .

7 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

1. Nobody forced him to play with wing backs. It wasn't a necessity it was a choice. I understand fully why he'd want to use that tactic if the plan in the long run is to go that route, but it simply didn't best utilise what he had last season. Hopefully the long-term benefit of the shows though as the players who remain from last season should be a bit more comfortable having had experience playing it.

2. By Warne's own admission his squad management could have been better. NML in particular was over-used (even had it just been at RW without the additional workload of RWB) and looked knackered and massively out of form. Barkhuizen - who had played himself into a bit of form only to end up benched for the next couple of months in favour of Dobbin - could/should have taken up some of that slack.

Patience is indeed a virtue, and I was only commenting on our squad makeup at that precise moment in time - I think it was a fair assessment. We've still got plenty of time to add the right players, and once we have a few forwards in it should be more clear exactly what sort of team we'll be watching this season.

It may not fall into place first time, but given the number of factors now on our side it should, really, and excuses won't really wash - that's not impatience, it's the expectations that should naturally come with having a budget good enough for promotion, a well-renowned head of recruitment and a manager who's considered the best in the league.

So what do we do if we dont go up??

sack him and start another chain of managerial round robin at the club

i do largely agree with what uv put just peoples expectstions for warne to get it right at the first time of asking concerns me 

As iv said before, its a good job cloughie didnt take over derby in todays game. 
even cloughie needed time

Edited by NottsRam77

17 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

As iv said before, its a good job cloughie didnt take over derby in todays game. 

How long did we give Clough Jnr? How much time, it was obvious he didn't have what it takes.

33 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

So what do we do if we dont go up??

sack him and start another chain of managerial round robin at the club

i do largely agree with what uv put just peoples expectstions for warne to get it right at the first time of asking concerns me 

We asses the situation.

If we haven't gone up because others have outperformed us on the pitch then there's nothing we can/could do. No sacking. Try again next year. (we'd still be within the stated aim of establishing ourselves in the Championship within 5 years, just).

If we don't go up and it's considered that we didn't quite get recruitment right - or rather other teams recruitment was better than ours -  we look at where it went wrong and learn lessons from that. No sacking.

If we don't go up having assembled the squad the manager wants, and he's not managed to get the best out of them then serious questions need asking, because you simply can't hype someone's abilities up to the level we have and give them a free pass if they underperform.

By no means is it automatically Fail to go up - Sack the manager unless we fall horrendously below expectations set by the chairman for this season.

I think what I'm saying is... yes, things may not go to plan and it may be a slower build than some think but the whole point of appointing a manager with Warne's experience in this league is that it should give us advantages that over teams in a similar position or with a similar budget to ours (otherwise, we might may as well have appointed Steve Cotterill or  Steve Jones as manager)  - if it turns out not to be the case, as per my first sentence in this post, we assess the situation.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

Sure we not talking about sacking already ffs 🙄 

Only in the same way that if someone tells you not to imagine a pink elephant, what do you think of?

No one was advocating sacking - read the above.

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

We asses the situation.

If we haven't gone up because others have outperformed us on the pitch then there's nothing we can/could do. No sacking. Try again next year. (we'd still be within the stated aim of establishing ourselves in the Championship within 5 years, just).

If we don't go up and it's considered that we didn't quite get recruitment right - or rather other teams recruitment was better than ours -  we look at where it went wrong and learn lessons from that. No sacking.

If we don't go up having assembled the squad the manager wants, and he's not managed to get the best out of them then serious questions need asking, because you simply can't hype someone's abilities up to the level we have and give them a free pass if they underperform.

By no means is it automatically Fail to go up - Sack the manager unless we fall horrendously below expectations set by the chairman for this season.

I think what I'm saying is... yes, things may not go to plan and it may be a slower build than some think but the whole point of appointing a manager with Warne's experience in this league is that it should give us advantages that over teams in a similar position or with a similar budget to ours (otherwise, we might may as well have appointed Steve Cotterill or  Steve Jones as manager)  - if it turns out not to be the case, as per my first sentence in this post, we assess the situation.

Which is all fair comment , and i hear what your saying

but say warne gets it wrong and we just miss . Does it mean hes become a bad manager eho hasnt already got out o thid league 3 times? 
who would be better qualified?

I know its all if buts and maybes i just think after the merry go round of managers where even in the championship not getting promoted was a sackable offence we would have learnt more patience as a fan base

maybe its just me 

49 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Which is all fair comment , and i hear what your saying

but say warne gets it wrong and we just miss . Does it mean hes become a bad manager eho hasnt already got out o thid league 3 times? 
who would be better qualified?

I know its all if buts and maybes i just think after the merry go round of managers where even in the championship not getting promoted was a sackable offence we would have learnt more patience as a fan base

maybe its just me 

As always mate (sorry, I hate that term and think it can come across as condescending, but I don't mean it that way and I've always got on with you AFAICR) , I appreciate and understand your viewpoint. 

None of that would mean he's become a bad manager, and I don't think anybody who has voiced any concerns thinks he's a bad manager - the question from the start was whether, despite his clear credentials and regardless of how much people think well of his personability, is he the right manager for a club with expectations?

As a bloke I love him as much as anyone else, he has all the qualities as a person I hope to have in myself. I will NEVER be anti-Warne and as I said last season I think he developed throughout the season (I felt the same about Cocu) my only concern at this point is there may have been a little bit of a reset, but time will tell.

...but sometimes, business is business. I'm not and never  will advocate his removal , unless it becomes impossible to deny. (as with Cocu)

Edited by Kokosnuss

49 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

As always mate (sorry, I hate that term and think it can come across as condescending, but I don't mean it that way and I've always got on with you AFAICR) , I appreciate and understand your viewpoint. 

None of that would mean he's become a bad manager, and I don't think anybody who has voiced any concerns thinks he's a bad manager - the question from the start was whether, despite his clear credentials and regardless of how much people think well of his personability, is he the right manager for a club with expectations?

As a bloke I love him as much as anyone else, he has all the qualities as a person I hope to have in myself. I will NEVER be anti-Warne and as I said last season I think he developed throughout the season (I felt the same about Cocu) my only concern at this point is there may have been a little bit of a reset, but time will tell.

...but sometimes, business is business. I'm not and never  will advocate his removal , unless it becomes impossible to deny. (as with Cocu)

All fair comments 👍

11 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

We asses the situation.

I don’t think it’s quite as black and white as that. For example, we may have been outperformed on the pitch (paragraph 1 - we go again) but what if we were outperformed because the manager didn’t manage to get the best out of the team (paragraph 3 - questions need to be asked)?

Any way, we shouldn’t even be talking about the S word or asking serious questions, it’s almost as if some (not pointing the finger at you) are expecting us to fail.