Mark Harris - joined Oxford United

McMuffin

Hopefully so.

From a fan perspective it's currently very difficult to figure out exactly what we're planning to do to achieve success next season, how players who've not had the best of times under Warne so far are going to be utilised more effectively (Sibley, Barkhuizen, Knight if still here, maybe Collins depending on how you view his performance last season) and where those who did perform well are going to repeat that when the role in the team they were most successful at no longer exists (NML).

Once the Masterplan unveils itself it might all make sense., but at this precise moment in time it's hard to envisage the squad we've got achieving a goal tally which will much exceed that of the number of games played, so the prospect of signing non-scoring, non-assisting forwards on the premise that they 'might' be a surprise hit is hardly enticing.

Edited by Kokosnuss

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well, IF, and obviously it’s a big if, we are interested then you’d like to think Warne and the recruitment team have seen the attributes he does have and how they can be of use to what we want to do. 

He’s tall, direct and quick. Wales fans seem to like him well enough. I genuinely can’t remember him in the slightest, never heard of him before yesterday, but seems to be a player who may have something but hasn’t put it together. Every signing we make is going to have some underwhelming undertones to his career to date - it’s difficult to sign a player in the third division and that not be the case. We just have to give them the opportunity to prove us wrong. 

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Stats in comparison to other strikers in the Champ. The top section is worrying but the bottom section (barring aerial duels), is something Warne wants.

image.png.0705c409fabd23d9e07504aa83a37658.png

Thats quite interesting

be interested to see knights stats in comparison 

On 01/07/2023 at 14:55, Kokosnuss said:

Hopefully so.

From a fan perspective it's currently very difficult to figure out exactly what we're planning to do to achieve success next season, how players who've not had the best of times under Warne so far are going to be utilised more effectively (Sibley, Barkhuizen, Knight if still here, maybe Collins depending on how you view his performance last season) and where those who did perform well are going to repeat that when the role in the team they were most successful at no longer exists (NML).

Once the Masterplan unveils itself it might all make sense., but at this precise moment in time it's hard to envisage the squad we've got achieving a goal tally which will much exceed that of the number of games played, so the prospect of signing non-scoring, non-assisting forwards on the premise that they 'might' be a surprise hit is hardly enticing.

Blooming Nora... and they call ME a Moodhoover....🤣

On 01/07/2023 at 14:55, Kokosnuss said:

Hopefully so.

I think its important to remember when u say “ utilised more effectively” its important to remember that majority of the time it was determind through necessity rether than choice

i dont think for one second warne sees sibley as a left a wing back same barks and nml 

but that was the hand he was dealt and he had to deal with it 

i for one am excited to see where warne can take u, i do however think we will need to exercise patience as it might well not all fall into place at the first attempt 

I am not sure I would go for him, but should it be genuine, Harris might not be a bad bit of business and I'd get behind him if he signed.

Warne has stated, he's not interested in anyone at the club who thinks they are guaranteed a place, so Harris could come in with 2-3 other forwards and push himself and those around him on.  His stats could obviously improve, which some are over obsessive about. 

Although if I'm offered Lucas Joao or Harris, I think I know which one I would choose, but all the financials have to be considered, plus game time, considering recent lost wages for players in a treatment room. 

It's not my money, and I know DC will be prudent but the recent past has made me very cautious about us wasting literally a penny, which is why when some say we should gamble x amount of a hundred grand on Alfie May, whose 30, and probably offers no re-sale value, I think it could be better to look elsewhere. Harris instead of May though, Hhmmmm,

Interesting debate.

Gangway D from the Terrace 

1 minute ago, GangwayD said:

Harris instead of May though, Hhmmmm,

Ah, subtle. You're saying May is twice as good?

33 minutes ago, jameso said:

Ah, subtle. You're saying May is twice as good?

No, just pondering and thinking Harris might not be as bad a signing as this thread portrays. 

Not really knowing the budget, if I was in Warnes shoes would I spend the money on Alfie May, or risk Harris with a Lucas Joao and another free transfer.  Not sure I'd want to go into the new season with May, Harris, Joao and Collins as I don't think there are enough goals in that strike force.  

I'm getting splinters on my arse here - need convincing. 

These days Football managers probably can't look long term, so if he thinks May will get us the goals for promotion then he's our man, but he gives us no re-sale value if we don't go up. 

When Arthur spent Lionel's money I feel he always did it with a long term view, based on age and potential, and we recouped or sold for profit - nowadays managers don't have the time.

Has that made things clearer ?!

Gangway D from the terrace.